Boars in Oz

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

Thank very much everyone for your response. It is very encouraging that so many of you are interested in the dogs and what they do. For me I don't have a choice, the dogs and catching the next boar is almost all I think about. You blokes have the choice to read or not and to comment or not, so I really appreciate you taking the time to say anything, let alone all the positive stuff.

Re other dogs affecting my breeding decisions....they could, but hunting with other blokes is more about the bloke and also seeing general standards in hunting, and just the hunting. I'm very comfortabloe with the gene pool I've been lucky enough to get hold off and several smarter blokes than me have offered advice and guidance on the concepts involved in line breeding. I could introduce new blood at some stage but it would more than likely now be a pure dog from one of the original crosses (30 or 40 years ago) for eg Eng bully if there was a question of hardness. (No worries there ATM...ha ha.)

Cheers.

Just back from work in the bush. Finished the gardening and was told by the station manager to go and see if I could harass some pigs so I was happy to oblige.

Went and scouted the edge of some sorghum to see if anything was coming into the unripe crop yet and jagged this little sow just after disturbing a decent fallow buck camped in the crop.

Barney found this one. Bob found a couple of slips but spat them out so I don't count them.

Anyway, another little pig while I was supoposed to be working. And Barney's first for me since he's been back home. He had been with another bloke but there was a bit of a change of plans and home he came. Barney was very arrogant with me a week ago but we discussed his issues a couple of times and he's getting nice and focussed. He had another good jump but came up with nothing. Good to watch him on the technology working the rows...

p2110721.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Ned Makim

nice one :thumbs:

when you say "arrogant with me" i take it you mean the dog?

do the line tend to be headstrong like that? or is he more of an exception?just trying it on while settling i guess.

a decent sized sow there for him,get him back into the swing of it :thumbs:

atb, michael

• Like 1

Yes I mean the dog has been arrogant. (I'll edit the post to eliminate any confusion...)

Some of them are very arrogant, strong willed, some aren't but the arrogance is a good sign. Arrogant dogs definitely don't faint at the sight of their own blood if it comes to that. They will stick to a bad boar. But it requires some firm handling. I don't mean belting them but I do mean you don't let them make any decision on their own for a while. You have to be the source of all decisions until they 'give up' and are automatically submissive to you. Then you can take them in the field with livestock etc and not have any disasters. I've let BArney drag a long lead behind for the past week so I can call him and step on the lead so he comes to an abrupt halt or get my hands on it and jerk him if he appears to be considering whatever I said. The dogs aren't allowed to 'consider' anything I say. I tell them, they do it... otherwise you can get into all sorts of trouble with pig dogs.

And not really much of a sow. If I can carry her out entire (guts in) through gullies and long thck grass she can't weigh that much...

Cheers.

The sow might have been 40 kgs entire but that was probably a stretch...

On the dogs...they never know how big they are. If they have the will, they are big in their minds. Alpha status in dogs is an issue with all dogs but with these, if they are allowed to think they are too special they will treat you like their bitch. Bad thing if they feel they are allowed to fight or grab stock etc. They are prepared to die on the pig rather than give in so an undisciplined dog is a serious problem. Having said that though, once they submit, that's it. They stay like that.

Cheers.

Yeah I take one or two dogs with me every day to work. Good psychological adventure for them even if we don't get to chase a pig... I have 10 dogs at home so it pays to entertain them.

I should post some GPS co ordinates of where I get decent boars so you can follow it on Google Earth. There's plenty of farming country around here and plenty of scrub. When you look at Inverell also find Kingstown, Bundarra, Emmaville, Ashford and Lake Copeton. The rivers to look for are the Macintyre, the Gwydir and the Severn. We hunt in all of those areas.

Cheers.

Just had a bit of exciting news...a cousin of mine who owns 10,000acres of rough, high country is planning to open it up to hunters to help with feral animal management. There are scrub bulls, wild goats, wild boars, feral rams, occasional fallow deer, a few camels and the usual million rabbits and foxes. The place is a working sheep and cattle property and the feral animals are the remnants of past livestock handling gone wrong. Before my cousin came to the place it had been used for all sorts of livestock projects but when different things didn't work out the stock were just let go and have spent generations living free of human control. Genuinely wild stuff in genuinely wild country.

I'm going down to talk to him about it within the next two weeks but he is open to allowing some spots for overseas hunter but the search and rescue stuff you have to have is costly so don't get too excited. There will only be a handful of places in the roster available so it won't be for everyone. I'm excited because country like this just doesn't become available to the outside world. Paul and I already catch pigs on the property but we don't go into the area he's opening because it's 90 per cent walking and we don't shoot much. Pays to carry a rifle in there because of the bulls. A lot easier for us to avoid them and stay out of the real thick stuff to catch pigs coming out to pastures and crops.

I've done some guiding in the past and this might be my chance to get back into it. Spending days and days talking about hunting, thinking about hunting and actually hunting is heaven for me.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated and try to get some pix of the country...

Cheers.

PS I'm going back up to look around the sorghum crop I hunt on SAturday afternoon. I'll let you know how we go. And thanks again for the interest.

Edited by Ned Makim

Here's a bit of trail cam footage. It's from our annual northern Oz trip and shows a boar feeding on one of the bulls we shot and used as bait. That's a dingo in the background waiting its turn...

And this is the boar after we arrived...

Dogs are Ted and Stan.

dsc0174s.jpg

Edited by Ned Makim

Here's a bit of trail cam footage. It's from our annual northern Oz trip and shows a boar feeding on one of the bulls we shot and used as bait. That's a dingo in the background waiting its turn...

And this is the boar after we arrived...

Dogs are Ted and Stan.

dsc0174s.jpg

great thread mate!! some great sport youre dogs are getting!! whats the breeding of the dog on the left?, also do you have any more pics of him? cheers

• Like 1