Boars in Oz

quote: A lot of pig catching is about exposure...and the handler knowing how to bring a dog on. unquote

Spot on. My old Deer/Grey wasn't from hunting stock, though apparently her sire, the pure Deerhound, who lived with it's brother on a sort of farm miles from anywhere: I was told that they rampaged through the countryside killing all sorts: even pulled down a donkey one time :icon_eek: Hardly the sort of thing that you'd want to tell anyone, but does show that the drive was there in the first place.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

A mate of mine is importing the BMCs. They are going to be used on pigs and on rough cattle. From what I saw of them they are vigorous dogs that seemed to love finding. On cattle they are used in thick country to find wild caqttle and worry them into a bit of a huddle. If one breaks they will lug up until it runs back into the mob. Same with the pigs apparently although pigs won't rejoin the mob if they get lugged. I'll be watching this expensive experiment with a great deal of interest.

Cheers.

He's a straight cross and no pig chasing heritage. That sort of thing is done in Oz all the time. You'd be amazed what lurks in even purely shopw bred dogs once you cross them and put the pups in the field. You get some shit but there is almost always something hot. Then you just pursue that blood and forget everything else that came from the cross. A lot of pig catching is about exposure...and the handler knowing how to bring a dog on.

Specific breeding sppeds all that up and increeases the odds but hard work can make the difference in the end.

Cheers.

I tried to say suggest similar to this (that you can breed/train a good dog from what seems like show/shit stuff) on another thread and got grief for it. I agree with you though!

It's widely known out here. It's not open to debate, gets proven week in, week out. Some dog people hold tight to theories about all sorts of things but the reality of dogs is often very different. There are not many Australians and the hunters are all fairly well spread out so blokes have just used what dogs they could get their hands on to breed hunters. That's why we know show dogs can produce hunters, so can family pets and dogs from the pound. It's just a fact. People who 'know different' just haven't done enough to comment...otherwise they couldn't hold that opinion.

Breeding a family of dogs or a line tends to increase the odds of getting something really good but good enough can come from anywhere.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Here's a few new pix. Son Paul is working about three hours west of here near a place called Mungindi. Where I am is hilly but Paul's new base is flat farming country.

Here's Hannah's son BJ at work in the barley stubble.

bjinthebarleystubblemun.jpg

BJ again with Pepper (unrelated dog on the other side of the pig...) on a decent boar.

bjandpepperinthebarleys.jpg

Here's a few new pix. Son Paul is working about three hours west of here near a place called Mungindi. Where I am is hilly but Paul's new base is flat farming country.

Here's Hannah's son BJ at work in the barley stubble.

bjinthebarleystubblemun.jpg

BJ again with Pepper (unrelated dog on the other side of the pig...) on a decent boar.

bjandpepperinthebarleys.jpg

f**k me, are you sure that one in the second pic is a pig? It looks like a steer! :o

My bro got chased by a wild pig a few years back when we went running in the wood one morning. Glad it wasn't that big

Edited by Tomm Parr

I might just explain why BJ is not wearing a full breastplate in these pix either. We mostly used breastplates because they save a lot of wear and tear on the dogs. Sometimes we revert to neck collars on a young dog because it gets their focus on moving well. A couple of bumps from a good boar can teach a young dog to move around (use its feet) while attached to the pig. It works well too when you can get to the dog and boar quickly, as you can on the flat country where BJ is working ATM.

Cheers.

Thanks very much for the comments fellas...

Went for a run with son Paul last night. I had to have a look at the big stubble paddocks where he's been getting some good pigs recently. On this block there is about 7000 acres of barley stubble and the associated dropped grain the pigs like to come into. Anyway, we got nine, seven of them boars between about 6pm and about midnight. The six we weighed went (dressed weight) 49.4kgs, 49.5kgs, 53.6kgs, 60.9kgs, 68.4kgs and 72.8kgs.

I was lucky in that I was on the quad (four wheeler) with Roger and Mary and I had the job of zooming around the edge of the old crop with the hand held spot light while Paul followed in the truck with more dogs and the hanging rack. My job was to cut off the pigs before they got of the stubble and into the scrub so it meant my two dogs got the majority of the work. There was good and bad in their efforts...some good gutsy head-on grabs of good fighting boars and then some stupid tangles in fences and not wanting to let go on command. They are a bit rusty after my trip away and a bit over excited about being back in work...

This is Paul and a couple of boars.

p4090173.jpg

Here's a shot of the rack filling up. (The spots are dust. It's a dirty job...

p4090174.jpg

And this is what Roger looks like now he's grown up a bit. Very tough dog.

p4100177.jpg

This is a very bad bit of camera work to provide a bit of on the spot commentary... I don't think any of the pix or video doo these boars justice. Plus Paul is biggish so everything looks average next to him.

Edited by Ned Makim
  • Like 1