getting rid of rats

I have got a couple of rat hole under my chicken shed, I do what I can to make sure there is no food about for them but I back onto fields and the sheds are dry and warm! Ideal for them to tunnel under.

I have put poison down, the stuff in 100g sachets I saw recommended on here, but they are not eating it. What is the best way to deal with the problem myself as I do not want to go to the expense of getting someone in and poison and traps dont seem to be working!

cheers

sett live trap mate with peanut butter in it it never fails :thumbs: or if you no some body with a pack of terriers an a smoker that will sort them out :thumbs:

I have had a live trap I borrowed down for 5 or 6 days loaded with peanut butter, typically caught nothing! I know they are there the little sods!

I have just been through the same with my Chickens on the allotment. The rats were beginning to be a pain, eating into my shed and eating my over winter broadbeans, twice...May the war begin!

Block up any holes into your chicken run.

Get some good poision...Try this stuff (bromadiolone soaked into wheat - Smells great :icon_eek: )...worked great for us.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/mvf-bromadiolone-whole-wheat-rat-bait

Get around 4 snap traps and bait with Peanut butter, Chocolate spread or chicken feed as already mentioned.

Rebait after poision taken.

The snap traps prolly won't get any action for a couple of days.

Keep both the poision and snap traps out of the way of the weather, your chicken and any other wildlife.

Put your chickens to bed in the afternoon, at sundown.

This is working for us...hope this helps you.

ATB

Paul

sett live trap mate with peanut butter in it it never fails :thumbs: or if you no some body with a pack of terriers an a smoker that will sort them out :thumbs:

I have had a live trap I borrowed down for 5 or 6 days loaded with peanut butter, typically caught nothing! I know they are there the little sods!

there not going for it thats strange mate i usally have 1 in the trap an hour or 2 after setting it think this a job for the terrier men :thumbs:

i have to plead ignorance on this one,

stubby,

are you saying it is illegal to use poisons available to the public, on your premises. only using them according to manufactures intructions in proper bait stations?

cheers

rob

no, but does everyone follow instructions, do people with no training in the use of, still think about secondary poisoning, or using indoor baits outside etc etc

even using fenn traps, are they in "tunnels" either homemade or purpose built, rather than just put in place

theres a whole barrel of worms waiting to be opened on legalities, which "non" pest controllers may be unaware off, lots have mentioned traps, but no mention of tunnel

stubby,

are you saying it is illegal to use poisons available to the public, on your premises. only using them according to manufactures intructions in proper bait stations?

cheers

rob

no, but does everyone follow instructions, do people with no training in the use of, still think about secondary poisoning, or using indoor baits outside etc etc

even using fenn traps, are they in "tunnels" either homemade or purpose built, rather than just put in place

theres a whole barrel of worms waiting to be opened on legalities, which "non" pest controllers may be unaware off, lots have mentioned traps, but no mention of tunnel

have to agree with you on that one mate there are so many people who are doing it and altho they dont mean to cause any harm the dont realise what damage they can cause to nit inly wild life but us pesties too. we all know everything is getting harder these days with legistation. heres one for you went to a job the other day for rats on a farm when i got there the old farmer had been puting warfrin squirell bait down witch somone gave him he said. best thing was he didnt think he was doing any thing wrong i found bait lying in the middle of the yard un protected :wallbash:

fair point stubby,

i use fenns and poison in the winter to control the rats that always move into our compost heap. all of the fenns are sited in manmade tunnels with resricted entrances and all the poison is suitable for outdoor use and in bait stations which restrict entrances and not with more than a set amount in each one.

i think you have a very good point. either do it properly abiding to legislation or don't do it

regards

rob

Yes it is illeagal for people to use professional approved bait without the proper training, it is not illeagal for the shops to sell it, but as soon as you have it even storing it your breaking the law.

Pointless using Poison where Chickens are Kept because the Antidote (Vitamen K) is in the Chicken Feed/Waste of Time and Money

What a load of crap, the amount of vitamin k they need to make the right antidote they would need to eat kilo's of the chicken feed,if you cant control them using your tactics get some one in who knows what they are doing

Yes it is illeagal for people to use professional approved bait without the proper training, it is not illeagal for the shops to sell it, but as soon as you have it even storing it your breaking the law.

Pointless using Poison where Chickens are Kept because the Antidote (Vitamen K) is in the Chicken Feed/Waste of Time and Money

What a load of crap, the amount of vitamin k they need to make the right antidote they would need to eat kilo's of the chicken feed,if you cant control them using your tactics get some one in who knows what they are doing

I had the Information about Vitamen K off A Pest Controller Mate.As for Controlling Rats using my Tactics Mate,Ive Been Controlling Rats for the Last Thirty Years Using Traps and my Dogs. So i know what i'm Doing.By the Way Rats do and Will eat enough Chicken Feed to Allow the Antidote to Work.

stubby,

cheers

rob

have to agree with you on that one mate there are so many people who are doing it and altho they dont mean to cause any harm the dont realise what damage they can cause to nit inly wild life but us pesties too. we all know everything is getting harder these days with legistation. heres one for you went to a job the other day for rats on a farm when i got there the old farmer had been puting warfrin squirell bait down witch somone gave him he said. best thing was he didnt think he was doing any thing wrong i found bait lying in the middle of the yard un protected :wallbash:

Some farmer that,sounds like he deserves every rat he's got.