golden oldies

just been watching 1 of my lurchers and noticed that he is lacking in a little speed as he aproaches the age of 6, but he makes up for it with brains(somthing that he wasnt blessed with). he will continue to work for as long as his health allows which will be for alot of years yet i hope. i was just wondering whast the oldest any of you have seen or owned still working no matter how minimal the job.

cheers, matt

who really knows without seeing the dog, and watching him at work, but one thing is you certainly, have had his best, as far as speed is concerned, he will start running a lot more crafty, and cunning, and saving his energy, and he will strike at the very earliest convenience,

now the bad turn, injuries, they last longer,, just the same as humans,, arthritis, sets in on joints, take that all into consideration, you should have a young dog coming on to take over his mantle, ((( there is a lot of good dogs still able to fill the pot at that age and more,,

and if you equate 1 year = 7 years in dog life, if that is true, he is 42 year old in human life, all top athletes, peak at 30 to 32, so at 42 for a foorballer, he is out to graze, retired, as one who tried to play the football, your brain, tells you can do it but your legs tells

you the truth, they are full of lead,

Guest Mass_G3nocide

I seen a dog a fine dog at that 12 year old and the boy still runs him still takes charlie and rabbits and the odd neighbourhood Cat not alot of speed in this dog but some fine brains in him.Starts slow and finishes quick.I keep telling him to retire the dog but he wont he's still usefull he says.

GOTA ON OLD BITCH HERE AND IN HER DAY CATCHES AS MUCH AS ANY DOG SHE IS TEN END OF DEC BUT AS AT SEVEN AND 8 YEAR OLD DOG PUT MOY YOUNGER DOGS TO SHAME BOLTING RABBITS .SHE HAD A GAMMY LEG BUT ,YET TO SEE HER BETTRD A FEW LADDS HAD THE PRIVLEDGE TO SEE HER IN HER OLD AGE AND WHEN REAL YOUNG IN HER PRIME , STILL GIVES YOU HUNDRED PERCENT ,BUT NOT GOT THE LEGS AND HER PINNED LEG PLAYS UP BUT HER HEAD IS STILL KEEN ,AND HER MOUTH STILLVERY SHARP ,LDR CAME WITH A FREIND AND BORDER LAD SAW A GOOD OLD DOG THTA WILL BE HARD TO REPLACE

post-13773-126045501753_thumb.jpgThe old seven dog years to one human is'nt really given much credance .

A vetinary guide (developed from research by a Dr Lebeau) indicates that

; at a year old the dog is equivelent to a 15 yr human

two years " " 24

four years " " 32

eight years " " 48

twelve " " 64

fifteen " " 76

A twenty year old dog would be the equivelent of a 90 year old human under this system .

I'd consider that he best years of a working dog don't start until its four or five years old .

I tend to try to instill a bit of obedience which means that even when a running is well past its sell -by date for fast work it is still usefull as a beating-line ,ferreting and gun-dog.

Thinking about it nearly all my dogs go on till there're around 16+ and most of them are still doing some work . Retiring them seems to be what actually finishes them as they lose interest in life .

The old boy in the picture was still ferreting last winter despite having been a tripod for the past few years .post-13773-12604549104_thumb.jpg

Edited by comanche
Guest fence_hopper

8 1/2last season 22 hard rabbits over sandunes, and still could of had more if the fella i went out with easnt winging about the rope cutting into his shoulder. next night 1 fox 2 rabbits and a hare :clapper: he's 9 1/2 now and still deadly.

myboy1.jpg

GOTA ON OLD BITCH HERE AND IN HER DAY CATCHES AS MUCH AS ANY DOG SHE IS TEN END OF DEC BUT AS AT SEVEN AND 8 YEAR OLD DOG PUT MOY YOUNGER DOGS TO SHAME BOLTING RABBITS .SHE HAD A GAMMY LEG BUT ,YET TO SEE HER BETTRD A FEW LADDS HAD THE PRIVLEDGE TO SEE HER IN HER OLD AGE AND WHEN REAL YOUNG IN HER PRIME , STILL GIVES YOU HUNDRED PERCENT ,BUT NOT GOT THE LEGS AND HER PINNED LEG PLAYS UP BUT HER HEAD IS STILL KEEN ,AND HER MOUTH STILLVERY SHARP ,LDR CAME WITH A FREIND AND BORDER LAD SAW A GOOD OLD DOG THTA WILL BE HARD TO REPLACE

Hello mate, have a look at my PM. Cheers.

cheers lads, plenty of petrol in the tank of the old fella yet, he just does things at his own pace as opposed to my pace....he's no slouch but just tends to be economical with his pace. he only ever been worked steady, not stupidly hard. was just interested in other folks opinions and views on older working dogs.

cheers, matt

Nice topic this. Alot of our younger hunters will do well to read your thread, and just not bin their hunting companion once they have run them into the ground. I keep mine on light duties , just ticking over mainly ferreting and mooching about and leave the heavy duty work, lamping and the pre ban stuff to the younger members of my squad. Alot obviously depends on the workload you have given your dog over the years and if they have managed to stay relatively injury free.