Which .22-250

I need a .22-250 to address a fairly heavy fox problem before lambing starts in the spring .

I have thought of buying new but cash is a bit tight at the moment so any tips on what to look for would be great. I have heard that .22-250 barrels are easy shoy out is this true and how can it be spoted.,

Thanks in advance.

I need a .22-250 to address a fairly heavy fox problem before lambing starts in the spring .

I have thought of buying new but cash is a bit tight at the moment so any tips on what to look for would be great. I have heard that .22-250 barrels are easy shoy out is this true and how can it be spoted.,

Thanks in advance.

I am by no means an expert but in my experience most foxes are shot under 150 yards, and if you are shooting them side on this gives a good size target to shoot at and I would of thought that even a barrel that has been fairly well used should be still accurate enough to deal with foxes. As you say it would be a great world if we could always buy new rifles but sometimes we need to compromise. Good luck and happy fox hunting.

Thanks in advance.

The ammo is quite fast, that is largely the point of the calibre.

That being the case barrel maintenance/cleaning is pretty important.

Barrel life is likely to be less than many other calibres but there are few who wear them out..how many foxes do you have???

Thanks Dave.

Deker the guy who did the fox control before me was shooting anything between 30 and 50 foxes over winter prior to lambing.

Ive walked the ground and flushed one or two on each occasion and drove round with the lamp and have seen between 2 and 5 at night, I think problem is not helped by a council landfill whithin a mile ,although this site is to be closed in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Dave.

Deker the guy who did the fox control before me was shooting anything between 30 and 50 foxes over winter prior to lambing.

Ive walked the ground and flushed one or two on each occasion and drove round with the lamp and have seen between 2 and 5 at night, I think problem is not helped by a council landfill whithin a mile ,although this site is to be closed in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info.

At that rate I wouldn't be too concerned about barrel wear, as long as it looks ok go for it. One shot, one fox!! Check to see if it been used with a moderator, this can sometimes lead to crown damage! If it's not shooting too clever try getting it re-crowned, that will probably put a bit of life back into it and not cost the earth.

ATB!

Thanks Dave.

Thanks for the info.

Where are you about, i will let you try my Sako 22/250 heavy barrel with sound moderator

go look at some in a shop and take the bolt out check the rifleing in the throat. where the rifleinging starts see if its worn. check the crown end to. the only real way to check properly is a bore scope. but you should see if the rifleing is worn.

they will last for 1000's of rounds if looked after. key to it is dont fire off lots of rounds one after the other. and let the barrel cool also.

there was a nice remmy 22/250 on the bbs the other day at a bargain price.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

Any of the 'usual' brands i.e. Remington, Browning, Savage etc are all fine, the 22.250 is not that popular for target shooting so a high round count is less likely than with say a .223 or .308 which are popular with target shooters.

Really just look at the rifle's general overall condition, the state of the bore and throat cannot be determined by yourself in a gun shop.

I have read that an average 22.250 barrel is good for around 2,000 rounds before serious wear / erosion starts to impact on the accuracy, that's a lot of ammo (factory rounds cost about £1.20 a pop, so work that one out!).

I have a nice Ruger No1 Varmint in 22.250, it's very good and the best fox rifle I have ever owned, and I've had quite a few, including all of the above mentioned.

As cost is a significant factor to you, maybe a new CZ550 in .223 wouls be your best option? Also the ammo is much cheaper.

Andy F.

Thanks again guys for the advice I eventually bought a new rifle a Remington 700 sps T4 mod and a optimax scope 4-16x50 not the best scope in the world but itll do for now.

Hope to get it zeroed soon itll have to wait until after Xmas.

Thanks again and i hope you all have a great Xmas and a happy New year.

Hoolit

Thanks again guys for the advice I eventually bought a new rifle a Remington 700 sps T4 mod and a optimax scope 4-16x50 not the best scope in the world but itll do for now.

Hope to get it zeroed soon itll have to wait until after Xmas.

Thanks again and i hope you all have a great Xmas and a happy New year.

Hoolit

happy hunting in the new year then....looking forward to some pics. :thumbs: