pups and rats

my advice mate would be to start him off with othre experienced dogs do you the job already and let him see the ropes be carefull not to start him before he is ready seen a few good terriers turn to pile of shit because they steamed in and got hacked up put them off for a very longwhile and some will not go near them now but normally when its adult teeth are fully through. just take your time and dont rush or push him. all the best willum.

i have a 6 month old plummer terrier, and was just wondering what age is the right age to get him started on rats. any thoughts? :thumbs::thumbs:

mate try the cage trap let him get keen on the rat, but whats the rush! like iv said in posts before many a good dog been ruind in haist let him grow up. only my opinion hope this is of some help.

Why not try him on a mouse to start with. You can buy live traps of a couple of £s in a hardware shop.

My Patterdale/Parson Jack Russel is 4 1/2 Months and kill her first rat last week. She was as keen as mustard. I have never started a terrier so young and I probably won't let her kill another one until she is about 6 months.

I had set mouse live traps in a farmer grain silo and as he was concerned about rats, I set 2 live cages to keep sweet with him. Caught no mice yet but caught a 3/4 grown rat. The pup, who has an exceptional nose and working ability for her age, was going crazy to get at the cage. We took it out into a field to shoot it with the .410 and then let the pups shake it. I wasn't to good with the .410 (dark) my 12 yrs old son stepped on the rats head as it was running, by now the pup was free and she did the rest. I was very impressed but causious as like another poster on here I have seen good dog spoiled because they got a bad bite from a rat. In fact I have seen dogs that will work well on fox and run from a rat due to a bad bit as a young pup.

Try the mouse or a dead rat to get her worked up and know the smell or let her watch another dog as suggested earlier. :thumbs:

Why not try him on a mouse to start with. You can buy live traps of a couple of £s in a hardware shop.

My Patterdale/Parson Jack Russel is 4 1/2 Months and kill her first rat last week. She was as keen as mustard. I have never started a terrier so young and I probably won't let her kill another one until she is about 6 months.

I had set mouse live traps in a farmer grain silo and as he was concerned about rats, I set 2 live cages to keep sweet with him. Caught no mice yet but caught a 3/4 grown rat. The pup, who has an exceptional nose and working ability for her age, was going crazy to get at the cage. We took it out into a field to shoot it with the .410 and then let the pups shake it. I wasn't to good with the .410 (dark) my 12 yrs old son stepped on the rats head as it was running, by now the pup was free and she did the rest. I was very impressed but causious as like another poster on here I have seen good dog spoiled because they got a bad bite from a rat. In fact I have seen dogs that will work well on fox and run from a rat due to a bad bit as a young pup.

Try the mouse or a dead rat to get her worked up and know the smell or let her watch another dog as suggested earlier. :thumbs:

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!