London v North ( sport )

Had a few northern lads doing some work at my home last week...had a bit of banter and debate about who has had more sporting success london or the north.....we went through 3 main sports

Boxing.....undoubtedly London

Cricket....not a fan myself,but conceded it to the North

so the decider was footie.....

We worked it out like this

London.....North

chelsea - man utd

arsenal - liverpool

spurs - man city

fulham - everton

west ham - wigan

All these are pretty evenly matched and all from the same local area....

i chose 4 london teams and 1 northern......

Just wondered what your thoughts are ?

Edited by gnasher16

Had a few northern lads doing some work at my home last week...had a bit of banter and debate about who has had more sporting success london or the north.....we went through 3 main sports

London.....North

chelsea - man utd

arsenal - liverpool

spurs - man city

fulham - everton

west ham - wigan

knasher boxing mate are you sure :hmm:

id say it was 3-0 to the northerners..

for the last 30 yrs the english game as been dominated by liverpool and man utd with the cockneys winning the odd thing now and again,as for boxing,i can remember all the greats from london... :boxing::hmm: yeh right :clapper: i can tell you one thing you southern ponces are good at...talking shite :feck:

Edited by craigyboy

World Champions from London

frank bruno

lennox lewis

david haye

nigel benn

michael watson

lloyd honeyghan

duke mckenzie

terry marsh

alan minter

charlie magri

henry cooper

john stracey

terry downes

ted kid lewis

teddy baldock

world champions from the north ( manc/liverpool etc ) similar size area to london

ricky hatton

john conteh

amir khan

im sure theres a few that escapes my mind......but dont be silly lads theres no comparison.....in fact from east london alone ( west ham ) theres been more world champions than any other part of britain combined !!!

edited to say....watson and cooper never won a world title but huge names in the sport nonetheless.....

show me a list of world champions from liverpool/manc from today and yesterday to match londons and i,ll eat my words....

also edited to add....my london list hasnt included the likes of nicky cook/colin lynes/ mitchell etc etc who have won versions of world titles but are still not household names.....but i,ll still give you amir khan ;)

Edited by gnasher16

It doesn't mean shite!

No offense I know its a bit o' banter but. Neither the North or london can claim to be representative of their area.

Arsenal once fielded a team in europe with not one English player let alone a Londoner!

Football is a disgrace ! It used to be the working mans sport.It still is. Its just now the working man is being taken for a ride.

Overpaid foreign players who think they are above the law and who'd desert any team if the grass was greener. Loyalty? None!

Fans who pay their wages deserve more!

God forbid if Rugby goes down the same road..........or am I too late with that comment?

Rgds

Swampy

1st Ning @ 09:45 26/11/09 Location= Work. Length? A bit more please

It doesn't mean shite!

No offense I know its a bit o' banter but. Neither the North or london can claim to be representative of their area.

Arsenal once fielded a team in europe with not one English player let alone a Londoner

Rgds

Swampy

Thats a fair point....but then if you want to just go by players instead of teams....then sorry but east london win hands down,in fact my west ham wins hands down half the england team either started off or made their name at west ham.....dafoe,lampard,carrick,johnson,james,ferdinand,cole x 2.....the list go,s on right back to paul ince !....even john terry is out of east london !....if it wasnt for west ham england would never have won the world cup for crying out loud :D

Also west ham field week to week a higher number of english players than any other premier league team....not as many as before the little italian come along but still more than others.

It doesn't mean shite!

Arsenal once fielded a team in europe with not one English player let alone a Londoner

Rgds

Swampy

Thats a fair point....but then if you want to just go by players instead of teams....then sorry but east london win hands down,in fact my west ham wins hands down half the england team either started off or made their name at west ham.....dafoe,lampard,carrick,johnson,james,ferdinand,cole x 2.....the list go,s on right back to paul ince !....even john terry is out of east london !....if it wasnt for west ham england would never have won the world cup for crying out loud :D

Also west ham field week to week a higher number of english players than any other premier league team....not as many as before the little italian come along but still more than others.

You forgot to say that a certain David Beckham is an East London boy, or did you leave him out on purpose? :D

You forgot to say that a certain David Beckham is an East London boy, or did you leave him out on purpose? :D

only because he never played for west ham.....theres quite a few i left out ....could have chucked tony cottee in,teddy sherringham........all back to jimmy greaves and trevor brooking,the list is endless....

Edited by gnasher16

It doesn't mean shite!

Rgds

Swampy

Why don't they restrict teams to just two foreign players? Isn't that how it was when Ozzy Ardilles and Ricky Villas played for Spurs?

Teams should represent their communities. Mind you Bradford would be an interesting team!

rgds

Swampy

half time ning

London.....North

chelsea - man utd

arsenal - liverpool

spurs - man city

fulham - everton

west ham - wigan

Why Wigan ? What about Sunderland or Newcastle ? Boxing, Hartlepool a town of 100,000 has produced the Feeney Brothers, The London Brothers Brian and Jack, George Bowes, Michael Hunter and loads of others ie Mark Smith, Rooney, Cooper, Wright who is fighting Alex Arthur on Dec 5th, Lady boxers Amanda Coulson, Savannah Marshall, There are many more. Other good boxers have came from north of the capital ie Hatton, Dave Boy Green, Kirkland Laing this bloke could of been GREAT. Gomez, Khan, think your blinded by the smoke lol

You got me thinking,which aint good,especially with my memory. Remind me of the other brothers from Hartlepool,or were they twins.................