is my dog too small for lamping

I have a 6mth old Bedlingtonxwhippet and he is only 17', is he too small for lamping? she has caught 3 myxi rabbits on the run on a normal daytime walk but is he going to be fast enough on the lamp, he is a cracking dog in every other way. will not start lamping with him untl next year.

i saw a small beddy x type around 20 years back a tiny bitch 19 ins or so,it was somthing else on bunnys in small fields with drystone walls,also saw it take a hare the same night,they were about the same size,so i think you will be fine with your pup should grow another 2 or 3 inch,good luck

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 6mth old Bedlingtonxwhippet and he is only 17', is he too small for lamping? she has caught 3 myxi rabbits on the run on a normal daytime walk but is he going to be fast enough on the lamp, he is a cracking dog in every other way. will not start lamping with him untl next year.

this is like a woman asking ,DOES MY ARSE LOOK BIG IN THIS ,what a stupid question . :laugh:

So that means yes then?

at 6mnth your dog still has about a years worth of growing to do mate i wouldnt be letting mine see rabbits at that age just traing and playing. a long time ago mate of mine had a beddy whipp that took charlie the little sod was nuts but he was quite big got hold of a toe nail he had it. dont worry bout your pup mate just enjoy it being a pup and letting it learn it lifes lessons.

i have a salukie bull greyhound x bull its 5 1/2 month and stands at 18inches and should grow to b 21-22 inches so your whippet should make ruthly the same and my old dog buster witch was almost pure whippet just had a touch of bull was about 20 inches and ocasionly caught hare pre ban so ur whippet should be fine

i have a salukie bull greyhound x bull its 5 1/2 month and stands at 18inches and should grow to b 21-22 inches so your whippet should make ruthly the same and my old dog buster witch was almost pure whippet just had a touch of bull was about 20 inches and ocasionly caught hare pre ban so ur whippet should be fine

How can a bedlington 18tts cross with a ped whippet 19tts throw pups 22ttsdoh.gif

How can a bedlington 18tts cross with a ped whippet 19tts throw pups 22ttsdoh.gif

f**k knows but ive sin bedlinton whippets 20-21inches tts

f**k knows but ive sin bedlinton whippets 20-21inches tts

stick to the topic lads if ye want to get into it do via pm ,

sounder

You say he and she in your post if its a bitch i think it will 19tts tops and will not have the fast pace a well bred whippet at the same size has so you will have to choose your runs for it as that type of dog will not benefit long slips on rabbits that are up and running [bANNED TEXT] you switch the lamp on.atb dell

You say he and she in your post if its a bitch i think it will 19tts tops and will not have the fast pace a well bred whippet at the same size has so you will have to choose your runs for it as that type of dog will not benefit long slips on rabbits that are up and running [bANNED TEXT] you switch the lamp on.atb dell

have you ever seen a beddyx run my two old dogs was 3/4 beddy 1/4 grey still caught loads of rabbits on a lamp. But they had i diffrent lamping style to my 1/4 beddy greyhound because they wasnt fast enough to stright line rabbits. also beddyx have a very hight prey drive will my 3 do.

my two made 20 inch and my young dog made 22 inch. also beddyx will take foxes just mine to lacked on the speed but had a couple. on small fields and so on

post-2023-12591047041_thumb.jpg

It will depend on how good the rabbits are were you live IMHO i do not think the dog will be any good for lamping i have a beddy/whippet/grey at 10 months old at 21 an half and was streight lined by a rabbit for 100yds even though she is a young dog i know she will not be sharp enough to catch a lot of rabbits.Its one of the reasons i can not see the point in breeding kc whippets with beddys.atb dell

well ive got a 21 n half inch beddy whippet x collie grey, 16 month and theres more chance of me catching a rabit than her getting straight lined for 100 yards. she has even retrieved plenty long ear on the lamp last couple months. dont know weather she got kc whippet in her. she isnt the raceyest looking dog either but she lightening on the turn and cant half motor for her size. got stuck into charles n bambie pre ban of course.

is the ground flat or hilly i find flat with slops is good for 17 to 20 but up hill 21 on

will take more than 17 to 20 the smaller dog has gr8ter tuning abilety and less likely to over run a rabbit

Spot on. Regards size for lamping rabbits, it will catch a few. But a bigger dog [24-25in] will always have the advantage over a smaller dog [seeing squaters,turning rabbits in high stubble,............ . Yes it can do it, but[not] as good as the bigger dog. :yes:

When a small dog has the speed and is game surely you can take it lamping. Small dogs are good for rabbits.

The only drawback is that it does not see very much, it's point of view being close to the ground. You have to get your head down too and learn how much of what you are seeing the dog sees and slip accordingly. Best practice would be on golf courses or other smooth terrain. Have fun!

L