whats the ultimate hunting wagon

anyone use a decent quad set up, with rifle rest etc,

fields way too wet for a heavy landy, quad should be or though

Don't know about decent but we do use a old honda (1989 model)with a diy rest made up from 20mm conduit and the supports cut from car bonnet stays out of a scrapyard with a couple of ramps we can stick the quad into the sankey trailer if we want to go up onto the moor .As the quads not road legal and we have to get to the moor by road atb.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we use a vauxhall brava pick up with a truckman boxes divided into 3, we then have a powerpoint inside and on the back aswell as spots on the front bumper

i think all shooting wagons have to be a compromise, japs sacrifice ruggedness for reliability and comfort while land rovers sacrifice comfort, fuel consumption, reliability and power for erm, what ex

Posted Images

I got an old kawasaki klf (bout 1995 or thereabouts) i welded up a little rugby post style rest for shooting the rifle from and i bought some little rubber v grips that fit on the front racking that hold the rifle while im driving. Ive got a double fag lighter socket adapter so i can have my hand lamp which i operate with my left hand while im driving. Then if i see old charlie i stop and switch off, pick the rifle which has a scope mounted lamp on and do the business. The klf is a great little machine and you can get some good ones- i only paid 500 quid for mine, it has high and low range and permanent 4 wheel drive. If you get stuck on it then you have either run out of fuel or are a complete moron.

the 110 hi cap is going to be my hunting car, used for nothing but hunting, so im going to build a sliding dog box in the rear tub. it will slide away from the cab, so it can be sat on when out lamping, rest rifle on the roof, not had much interest in it when i tried to sell it, but hey,

i just got a old leafer,series 3, 1982 109 landy, it is the mutts,200tdi engine and disco transfer box,front axle has disc brake conversion,galvo chassis,recon bulkhead galvo'd,half leather mgf seats, canvas top, military door tops,parabolic springs and military hangers,235/85r16 bfg at's, looks great, drives great, but hell is it cold at the minute,

its getting a paint job at the moment, drab green, near same as nato green, dont get back until 10th jan.

also has a power steering conversion.

i swopped a landy 90, 2.5td for this,was his idea of a straight swop, the owner of the 109 did all the work and got pissed of with it, i had it 2 days and got it mot'd, had to put in a half wiring loom in rear,

this is the ultimate leafer for me,

its not for sale,lol

if anyones intrested in adding a sunroof for lamping purposes,id suggest having a look at alternative types first. i work with coaches and think that the emergency roof hatches are a much better option, there larger, more secure, fully removable and they come in several diffrent material types. I dont have a landrover, but as and when i can.... this would be my choice. atb :yes:

• 1 month later...

i was wondering what machines you folk are using while hunting, getting there and for moving the dogs about.

i got a land rover 110 hi-cap pick-up, roll bar is good height for resting the rifle while lamping, big safe style tool box/dog box in the back, holds terriers and digging gear, and of cousre being a landy it gets me anywhere i need to go,

does anyone have any extras on their machines that they find handy, and that they would share designs for

Well here goes im gonna upset a lot of POMS!

i am sorry to say landys and rangies are absolute buckets of s..t.

4wd's are tried and tested and built primarily for the arab and aussie market, we are the resting grounds. Manufacturers build cars according to our demands.

Landrovers simply are absolute lemons for ausssie conditions. Always have issues where do i start!

Range Rovers dont even bother they spend more time sorting out electronics than 4wdriving

Nissans patrol gq was great. new car great but engines are lemons

Toyota are by far the best. They will working day in day out, all avid offroaders wont by anything else.If you off road regularly buy a toyota cruisers and hilux's all shapes and sizes nothing comes close!

I have had three cruisers 40 60 current hilux and a gq still own a cruiser and a gq both great rigs.

whilst my new hilux is fully set up dual lockers, bars all round winch lift with 33 inch mickeys it does not get bashed to much used to get around deer hunting and pigging in the high country.

My gq is as tough a they get 5inch lift 35 mickeys dual lockers 93%gear reduction 355 injected chev and the list is too long to mention this car has done just about every desert in oz and every off road race in oz.

There is simply no comparison between pom alloy and jap trucks. All mines, gov vehicles, outback station owners have toyotas why they are the best! Why? Because we use them!

Guest alastair

i was wondering what machines you folk are using while hunting, getting there and for moving the dogs about.

i got a land rover 110 hi-cap pick-up, roll bar is good height for resting the rifle while lamping, big safe style tool box/dog box in the back, holds terriers and digging gear, and of cousre being a landy it gets me anywhere i need to go,

does anyone have any extras on their machines that they find handy, and that they would share designs for

Well here goes im gonna upset a lot of POMS!

i am sorry to say landys and rangies are absolute buckets of s..t.

4wd's are tried and tested and built primarily for the arab and aussie market, we are the resting grounds. Manufacturers build cars according to our demands.

Landrovers simply are absolute lemons for ausssie conditions. Always have issues where do i start!

Range Rovers dont even bother they spend more time sorting out electronics than 4wdriving

Nissans patrol gq was great. new car great but engines are lemons

Toyota are by far the best. They will working day in day out, all avid offroaders wont by anything else.If you off road regularly buy a toyota cruisers and hilux's all shapes and sizes nothing comes close!

I have had three cruisers 40 60 current hilux and a gq still own a cruiser and a gq both great rigs.

whilst my new hilux is fully set up dual lockers, bars all round winch lift with 33 inch mickeys it does not get bashed to much used to get around deer hunting and pigging in the high country.

My gq is as tough a they get 5inch lift 35 mickeys dual lockers 93%gear reduction 355 injected chev and the list is too long to mention this car has done just about every desert in oz and every off road race in oz.

There is simply no comparison between pom alloy and jap trucks. All mines, gov vehicles, outback station owners have toyotas why they are the best! Why? Because we use them!

typicall up me own aussie arse reply mate,worked for a aussie company for years so used to the up me arse comments,but i agree about toyotas,used toyotas on a blasting job and they were the only ones left running at the end,here in the uk we get crazy weather conditions from hot,wet,frozen,floods and snow so take your pick which 4x4 is the one.