Reloading presses

I am just about to start reloading 223 for foxes. I have my powder cert through and have dies that I can use in a friends press. Question is what presses do you recommend for ease of use, value for money. At this time 223 is probably the only caliber I will use.

I have picked up 55gr hornady vmax bullets, federal primers and will use cases from federal rounds that have been through my rifle. I have been told vihtavuorI n130 powder will do my job. Does anyone else reload similar to the above, my rifle is 20" barrel with 1:9 twist

Question is what presses do you recommend for ease of use, value for money.

There is only ONE press and that's an RCBS rockchucker, such an investment will last ten life times. I have my eye on one but at the moment I'm using an RCBS RS2, which unfortunately also lasts ten life times, one day I'll bust it.... then it's a Rockchucker!

It's funny how you never really see people asking for spare parts for RCBS presses :hmm:

John

You will need a fast powder to get the best out of your rifle. I reload for a Remington SPS Tactical, 20 inch barrel too, and I lose a lot of velocity sadly.

Vit's site has info for all their powders, just under max of N130 with a 55 Nosler worked pretty well for me in terms of accuracy, bit slow, but still kills stuff OK!

i would personally recommend the rcbs or redding presses, namely the rockchucker, or the big boss, extermely well built and will last you a lifetime...

lee presses will, DO THE JOB, to start you offm but you will change it for better once you know what your looking for....

The lee turret press has too much free play, in the turret vertically and leads to differences in COL, i know i had one......!!!!

Whatever you go for, go for a well made single stage press..... buy once cry once, Also go for the redding dies.... well made,

and you will see the difference in consistancy of rounds produced...

Snap.

Thanks snap, I take on board what you are saying. I like the idea of a kit to get me started and the lee aniversory kit looks to offer everything for a good price. Can good consistant rounds be produced from this kit. I hunt mainly with a few range days so I won't be reloading massive numbers of rounds , will lee kits namely the presses start off ok or is the play present from day 1?

Thanks snap, I take on board what you are saying. I like the idea of a kit to get me started and the lee aniversory kit looks to offer everything for a good price. Can good consistant rounds be produced from this kit. I hunt mainly with a few range days so I won't be reloading massive numbers of rounds , will lee kits namely the presses start off ok or is the play present from day 1?

My Lee kit works well and produces better results than factory ammo in my rifle. I would buy a RCBS Rockchucker if money was not an issue for me. It was, so i didn't.

ft

the lee kit will get you away and serve you well enough, but you will change it, for another 85 stg you can get a redding kit.... better quality and you will use most of the components in it..

the turret press has the play in it from day one..... so go for the anniversary pack if money is tight....

most homeloads will beat factory ammo hands down.... but it depends how good you want your ammo to be....!!!!

don't buy the lee dies however as they are pants....!!!!! go for redding from day one...

Snap.

hi quicksilver,

redding big boss or rcbs rockchucker for a press both available as starter kits with powder throwers primer seaters etc.

dies redding then rcbs for neck sizing cant beat the lee

powder several 223 preformers depends on whats available near you varget h335 vhit 133 all good

bullets 1in 9 twist barrels are for match work mostly and are prefered for the 60 t0 75 grain weight lighter bullets will work but dont drive them over 3000 fps or you could get problems with jacket seperation or blow ups 55 grn vmax my not take to well to being driven at 3300 fps down a 1 in 9 twist barrel

also 20 " barrels my require faster powders of the prefered range to burn it quick enough

graham.

i have the redding big boss 2 press got it from reloading soultions nr kidllington. aftab the owner is very friedley and willing to help out. and even match other prices or beat them. he let me have the big boss 2 press for the same price of the older big boss 1. there isnt really any difference

apart from a tube to catch the spent primers.

you get that or the rockchucker and you wont be sorry. as for powder benchmark is one of the most popular powders for 223 give that a try its fast burning to so will get good fps out of it. if your worried about bullet break up get the nostler bullets they have thicker jacket and will hold up to

speed.

saying that im pushing 50 grain vmax over 3600 at moment and there holding up fine. the nostlers had them to 3800 fps and they are fine.

a lad off a different site has pushed them to 4000+fps from a 223 wssm and they still hold out ! so you wont go wrong with them.

Edited by jamie g

I use Lee dies for 223 and .308; they produce pretty accurate stuff. Can't compare with Redding as I only have Redding dies in 243, but they also work well.

If you have a concentricity gauge, check the runout on a fired case, then put it through a lee neck size, or full length sizing die,

then check the concentricity again icon_eek.gif you will be gobsmacked......!!!!

been there and done it......

ATB.

Snap.

I don't have one... smile.gif

I will take your word, so you'd recommend I get something better than my Lee .308 dies for 1000 yard target reloading then?

i would indeed mate, as below said by provarment, the forrester dies are good, but i never liked the screw adjustment on them...

redding get my vote...

teh runout increased by around 5 to 8 thousands when the lee dies sized the case.......icon_eek.gif sloppy.

Snap.