more coyote pics

1. I run two checks a day ... before and after work . The longest one would be in a trap would be 12 hours. Everybody keeps talking about the freaking sun. Trapping season is in the fall and winter. They sun themselves this time of year. Sheesh...

2. They are either shot or relocated...

relocated my arse wat with half a leg

I think you will find that these are humane leg hold traps, with a rubber buffer on the inside of the jaws.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been trapping and most of the qaurry is inleg holds and smaller ones killed out [bANNED TEXT] by sensible people who have trapping licences as they want to keep the furs good for grading ,its hard cold and lonely work in cold parts of the world usa

now i freely admit seeing a seal pup clubed does look a little barbarick especialy how cute they look.

but is it any difrent to finishing off a fish or fox or any animal with the preist,

now you all know you have done it at some point :yes:

fish there is a big diff to a seal pup and hit a fox no thats what yea have a dog for and a good one will have the job in no time.look last replay dont have yotes in lreland so do what every the :censored: you want to do

yep thats the answer i would have expected from a fisherman :wallbash: fish arn animals they dont fell pian bla bla bla

Dispatch vs. relocation comes down to several factors...

1. Do I have a place to relocate ? Fur condition and value ? On and on ...Even if prices are down ,I often still dispatch ....coyote fur lined garments make great Christmas gifts.

2. I trap and have access to over 30,000 acres total.

You need to keep in mind that once an area has a dense population of coyotes and they are presenting alotta problems for ranchers than a multi-dimensional approach is used. That includes aerial shooting,the use of denning dogs, M-44's (it's a K-9 specific cyanide trap), sight hounds, leg hold traps and so on all being utilized in conjunction. This isn't sport hunting .

3. I really don't think of them as the "enemy" , per se. When I hunt them by calling ,I use calibers that are fur friendly. If I am going to take it, I am going to utilize it. Regardless, eradication is not the goal... healthy numbers are.

That help ? :)

1. I run two checks a day ... before and after work . The longest one would be in a trap would be 12 hours. Everybody keeps talking about the freaking sun. Trapping season is in the fall and winter. They sun themselves this time of year. Sheesh...

Again... :doh: You don't know so you have an uninformed opinion.

Yes I prefer shooting as a means to kill humanely, and I also prefer not to post every single photo of every gory detail of anything I have killed. If it was a pest I shot it, no need for photos....if it was for food I ate it, no need to photograph every meal either. You seem to enjoy the blood too much?

Go piss up your own rope you arrogant Yank. You post on a public forum then can't take any criticism, do you think everyone will pat you on the back?

sound like an anti yaself mate its a hunting forum an its nt illegal to hunt tht way where he is from so piss off n go look at ur type of hunting

arron how much is bobcat at moment and i hate fechers always saying things are cruel this isnt [bANNED TEXT] , life is fuching cruelat times , hypocritical bastewrds

for f**k sake whin dont tell me you have been catching a few of late :clapper::clapper:

arron how much is bobcat at moment and i hate fechers always saying things are cruel this isnt [bANNED TEXT] , life is fuching cruelat times , hypocritical bastewrds

for f**k sake whin dont tell me you have been catching a few of late :clapper::clapper:

its about as close as he gets to pussy :tongue2: meeeeooooow :D

I think you will find that these are humane leg hold traps, with a rubber buffer on the inside of the jaws.

I do not use the rubber... 'soft catch' ...what happens when the temp falls below freezing is it becomes hard and brittle and shatters leaving sharp edges. It seems to hurt the animal more than straight steel . I am basing that on how much of a catch circle I have upon checking. A catch circle is an area around the set where the animal has been fighting the trap. My catch circles with the 'soft catch ' are deeper ,wider and more prominent than straight steel .

Again, for the people who are having reading comprehension issues ... I have snapped my own hand and fingers in a MB- 650/750 and it smarts some... but it's not all that bad.

Alrighty then Aaron, I shall add to my Christmas list a pair of fur lined gloves and one of those funky hats with ear flaps, please :laugh:

It seems that my first impression was wrong: if the leg holds are not causing physical harm and the animals are being dealt with in a timely manner then that is what's important. It also pays to bear in mind that there are probably people who will use the wrong type of equipement in an irresponsible way, just as it seems that there are people who are more concerned about what they use and how they use it. So, lesson learned there I think. Thqanks.

30,000 acres is a HUGE area to cover :icon_eek: Can I ask Aaron, what method do you prefer and why?

And it's good to hear you make an effort to use what you take. Aside from the pelts is there use for the rest of the carcass?

I used to have a wolf pelt, shot on a native reserve years ago. It was bloody lovely to step out of bed onto first thing in the morning. Are coyote's pelts the same type?

Whin,

I haven't set for bobcats ,yet . Last year the most I got was $150 and that was for a large ,well-spotted male. Far cry from the $500 - $1000 we were hearing rumors of prior to October last year. Still , though...I'll be happy to average that for the year .

Muskrats, I have a feeling, are going to be the winner this year. I sent off 3,000 last year to NAFA at 5.00 a piece average.

LOL @ ZAP. :thumbs:

Edited by Aaron Proffitt

Alrighty then Aaron, I shall add to my Christmas list a pair of fur lined gloves and one of those funky hats with ear flaps, please :laugh:

It seems that my first impression was wrong: if the leg holds are not causing physical harm and the animals are being dealt with in a timely manner then that is what's important. It also pays to bear in mind that there are probably people who will use the wrong type of equipement in an irresponsible way, just as it seems that there are people who are more concerned about what they use and how they use it. So, lesson learned there I think. Thqanks.

30,000 acres is a HUGE area to cover :icon_eek: Can I ask Aaron, what method do you prefer and why?

And it's good to hear you make an effort to use what you take. Aside from the pelts is there use for the rest of the carcass?

I used to have a wolf pelt, shot on a native reserve years ago. It was bloody lovely to step out of bed onto first thing in the morning. Are coyote's pelts the same type?

LG,

I prefer to go out and have fun with it :thumbs: ... mainly my Staghounds or by calling. I love to hunt.... but I also hold an Animal Damage Control license . For my State their are only 10 gov. employed Nuisance Wildlife Officers . So when they get called , they contract out help. And when they do , we try to utilize all the mentioned resources. From helicopters to dogs. That's not for fun(exactly)...it's work as alot goes into it.

As far as uses aside from pelts...not really . I am not about to eat one. I'll butcher a bobcat,though. Almost indistinguishable from pork.

Coyote and wolf hides are similar. :thumbs: Wolves have alot more color phases,though.

Would you say there are people who are rather irresponsible about their trapping methods? I think that's where a lot of misconception comes from, my own included.

Erm, you eat bobcat? .... Americans are wacky :doh: I'd have a hard time eating something that looked vaguely like one of my pets :laugh:

Thanks for answering the questions Aaron :thumbs: