do'es the bag matter

A lot of people say a good day is when a lot of birds are in the bag . I think although it's nice to shoot a lot it's also nice to get a few when the going is hard and you have to work for each and everyone you get . there are two loacal fishing ponds one you can catch well over 100lbs of fish, the other is very nice but harder going i fish both depending what i fancy on the day. I wonder how long it would take to get fed up with shooting 100 plus every time? I would like to find out though

Big bags are great, BUT... Its the being out there doing it that its all about IMO. Seen times where ill put the gun away and just take it all in, Seen me just watching Roe Deer for hours and not even pulling the trigger, Just snapping away with the Camera or watching through the Binos. Been at it a good 20+ years now and still love it!!!!!!! ;)

Big bags are spot on.......on the basis that

1 - you have got an off loading source.

2 - you have the requirement to shoot them.

Its all about the sport and protection. Learning to deal with both sides of our "hobby" is paramount. I eat what I shoot, bar foxes and corvids, and have a game dealers number in my phone for the "red letter days".

A good bag means you've had a good day,although sometimes i can have had a lot of birds come in and just cant shoot straight :icon_redface: if the pigeons aren't coming in,I would rather be doing something else. So yeah a good bag is important but it doesn't have to be 100, 20 nice birds will do.

• 2 months later...

Big bags are good from the farmers point of view but I personally prefer shooting when I can remember every bird/good shot of the day.

At certain times of the year then the few birds you've worked hard for are far better than a sackful taken when they are literally flying into your barrels to hit the pattern.

to me its about protecting the fields,stuff for the pot,getting out for a bit and watching the dog learn/work,seeing other wildlife etc etc.

i agree with the post that say the memorable days are not always the ones with the most shot :thumbs:

We all like good day pigeon shooting but it’s nice to come home and be able to remember that great shoot you made. I have had days when I have come home with a dozen and have enjoyed it more than shooting 60 or 70 when they just committing suicide. You tack what you can when you can. And thank god you still have your health and are able to go out and do a bit. To see the dogs work to please you makes me happy a good days beating with the dogs and seeing all that hard work pay of is as good as any big bag if not better.