Any joiners, cabinet makers

I'm building a Welsh kitchen dresser when finished I want it to look rustic I've drawn the plans (pretty much the same as one we've seen) but I'm unsure how to get the best finish on the wood to bring out the grain and also which type of wood to use. I don't want to varnish it but if I use pine it will be stained or dyed oak colour. Last but not least should I use scant or planed wood???

Any advice Greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance

Kie

Edited by mushroom

aint you ever watched "the salvager" he normally gives it a light spray with caustic soda, to open up the grain, then maybe a beeswax, makes it look rustic

Nope never watched it. I take it the caustic soda and bees wax treatment is used on wood that is not going to be stained or dyed?? what about the scant or planed?

Use planed pine 7 coats of ronseal hardglaze varnish rub down with fine sandpaper between coats .Just in the process of refurbishing an old table plenty of patience needed to do a good job :thumbs:

Will this leave a shiny/glazed finish or will I take the sheen away by fine sand papering??? I'm trying to get the best from the wood grain to make it look rustic

Sorry Mushroom it will be a deep shiny finish forgot to add dont sandpaper the last coat and use only the finest sandpaper between coats ps hardglaze protects it from knocks and teacup rings :thumbs:

Edited by rob.i
aint you ever watched "the salvager" he normally gives it a light spray with caustic soda, to open up the grain, then maybe a beeswax, makes it look rustic

Nope never watched it. I take it the caustic soda and bees wax treatment is used on wood that is not going to be stained or dyed?? what about the scant or planed?

its instead of being dyed or stained, beeswax comes in different colours, just you said "rustic" in my eyes, rustic means none of todays stains and varnishes

its instead of being dyed or stained, beeswax comes in different colours, just you said "rustic" in my eyes, rustic means none of todays stains and varnishes

as a french polisher of over 40yrs experience pray tell how beeswax comes in different colours? slight shades maybe but thats all, "in my eyes,rustic means none of todays stains and varnishes" no trade secret that todays stains have made achieving colours by stains far far easier than the chemicals that they used to use and health wise a lot safer too

I have watched "the salvager" and quite honestly at best hes a bodger, laughable but dont think he was meaning to be IMHO

Y.I.S Leeview

i worked for a company that made bars for pubs and stools tables etc,

when using pine or any soft grain wood they would use a blow torch lightly

over the timber, the soft part of the grain would go black and the hard

part would stay light! but it still had to be given a finishing coat of something!

it also gives it that rough feeling where the grain is up and down :thumbs:

have a go on some scrap timber (4x2 planed or similar) youll be amazed

how easy it is :icon_eek:

trapper25