Lessons learned

Got up this morning to some frost on the ground and had to load the dogs... :clapper: Just pulling out of the driveway and Capps texts me and says he has two in the truck already. Im wondering if I should have went hunting right when I woke up, rather than waiting on coffee and eggs. I had specific instructions from the Cowboy last night, to call him if I went out in the morning. (We went last week and caught 4, so he is rarin to go.) I call and he says he cant go. I ask why, and he says his wifes housedog is in heat, and one of the cowdogs tried to jump thru the big front window of his house to get to her, and she wasnt too impressed with the blood everywhere, and all the trim around the front door eaten off... :blink: He says he thought about locking the males up last night but didnt...well, lesson learned...LMAO

I head to the rockpile first, as its close to the house and always seems to have coyotes. Im determined to kill them ALL as they beat me 3 out of 4 times in that shit hole and it pisses me off...LOL I decide Im going to outsmart them today. I pull up on a rise and glass the pile from way out. Im hoping I can spot one and come up with a good plan to get to it in the rocks. As Im glassing out my window the truck starts to shake. I think I must have a fight in the box, but see "T" trying to get out of the box. I look out and see a coyote about 50 yards away trying to sneak out of the sage. I pull the rope and "Cookie, John and T" hit the ground running. "Cookie" catches it pretty quick, and "John and T" move in and its stretched, its a pup of the year. I almost forgot one of the most important things about coyote hunting...there may be coyotes on the way to the spot your headed. Expect the unexpected...lesson learned.

I decide to not push my luck at the rock pile and head down to another spot. On the way I start feeling like I need to stop and empty out myself. Rather than wait until Im at the spot, I decide to pull off the main road in a low spot and just duck behind some tall sage. Well, Im about mid way thru my paperwork when I look up to see a coyote standing broadside 30yds away! f**k me, Im in a predicament... :icon_redface: The dogs cant see the coyote because of the sage. Im hissing like a leaking tire, hoping they will spot him. No luck, so I decide to try to duck walk with my pants around my ankles back to the truck, hoping he wont break before I can get them out. I swear he stands and watches me just long enough to convince himself that the idiot with his pants down really has bad intentions for him, then trots off while I try to get to the dogs. He disappears into the sage while I stand half naked next to a truck full of dogs, in a parked truck on the side of a busy road...I guess I didnt really get the lesson from just a few minutes ago.

I make it to the spot I wanted to run and pretty quick spot a coyote. Its in the perfect spot for a run. The good Lord must be sending me some charity after humbling me, either that or the coyote Gods are still laughing so hard they forget about this one standing in the middle of a huge flat field. I roll out towards the coyote and the dogs see it right away. Its sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of the field. I turn the truck sideways and come to a stop. Im far enough away it starts to slow and look back over its shoulder for me. Thats when I pull the rope. "Reba, K, and Hoss" head for him. They are making up ground fast, before he decides its time to put his head down. They go a few hundred yards farther and turn him a couple times before "Reba" catches him. "Hoss and K" hit him hard and the fight is on. "Reba" has him by the back of the neck, "Hoss" is mouth in mouth with him, and "K" is in his guts. "Hoss" swaps holds and takes the throat, but the coyote swaps to and takes his front foot. Neither will turn loose for about a minute. "Reba" switches to the throat next to "Hoss" and "K" comes up to the chest. The coyote is fading and "Hoss" gets his foot loose. I stay in the truck until its all over, its an adult male. I get the dogs some water and then load them up. The long run and fight has them breathing pretty hard. Im hoping "Hoss" learned a lesson about keeping his feet back. I decide to head back to the house.

On the way home, I spot a coyote out mousing. I ease into the field as its pretty rough. The coyote doesnt know we are in with him until its too late. I pull the rope right away rather than chase him with the truck. He is on my side, so "Hoss, Reba and K" get dropped again. They catch him in the sage, so I cant see what all happened. Its rough going to them, and somehow "Cookie" has gotten out of the other side. She runs by me and I follow her to them. When I get there "Hoss and Reba" have the throat and its about all over, its an adult female. I load them again, and head for home with my eyes peeled looking for another...ya never know where a coyote might show up...lesson learned.

Take care.

good fun and abit sport the first coyote i caut i chased it with dogs it jumped on a big cat claw bush the young dogs circled it l whacked it with stick and dogs knecked it it was there first coyote and my first of many , there pretty smart down on the dona ana county road and all along the mexican border

ratkilla-The pups have been on 23 coyotes (combined) now, they turned 9 mo today... :blink: I call mine "Hoss" and "T" They only fight the sharp end, and Im very happy with them so far... :clapper: Th "K" gyp is only 14mo and about 50lbs, she is double bred on the "H" dog. "John and Reba" are both out of "H" as well. You may have seen "John" and "Reba" go in WY. "John" is a Big blue deerhoundy looking dog. "Reba" was the only red female at Johns place.

Dan-As soon as I download the pics from Sunday I will send them for you to post.

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc
ratkilla-The pups have been on 23 coyotes (combined) now, they turned 9 mo today... :blink: I call mine "Hoss" and "T" They only fight the sharp end, and Im very happy with them so far... :clapper: Th "K" gyp is only 14mo and about 50lbs, she is double bred on the "H" dog. "John and Reba" are both out of "H" as well. You may have seen "John" and "Reba" go in WY. "John" is a Big blue deerhoundy looking dog. "Reba" was the only red female at Johns place.

Dan-As soon as I download the pics from Sunday I will send them for you to post.

Take care.

You boys sure get um going young, sound like they are going well for you!!! I saw H at johns when i was over, he was like ten then is he still alive if so is he still running? Also there was an old bitch there called muma she was old but still running and necking the yotes she was a nice old bitch. Look forward to seeing those pictures !

Here are a couple pics for yall. I have a littermate to the Hoss dog and T gyp at my place now. She is doin real well. She is pretty sore right now and I'm lettin her have a few days off to regroup but she will be back at either Saturday or Sunday. Crops are still in here but we are managing to get some form of "action" every now and then. It aint pretty but we gotta do something.

ratkilla-Well I probably start mine sooner than most... :whistling: I start hauling mine at about 7mo, and let them decide when they want to get into the action. The Grace x Zorro pups hit the very first coyote they ever saw, and have not stopped. "H" was still alive a few weeks ago when I was there, his age is showing now. The old female is still there as well.

The pics are "Reba" (red female lower on throat) "K" (white female) and "Hoss" (red dog pup on throat)

Take care.