PROVEN DOGS?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Age has nothing to do with being proven...some dogs just dont get the work others do,a terrier used by a hunt will probably be a proven dog way before a weekend warriors dog

weekend warrior? ha ha ha! what a load a shit :whistling:

i would agree with that. :yes:

some of the best terriers are back garden bred. by working folk. with a real passion for there sport.

weekend warrior :doh: .

Age has nothing to do with being proven...some dogs just dont get the work others do,a terrier used by a hunt will probably be a proven dog way before a weekend warriors dog
Personally i have never found hunt terriers game(In Ireland)They like yappy dogs that will bolt not kill.I once gave them a pup on the understanding he came back if not suited.A year later he was back to hard not suited.We used him for years after.

i am with liam on this nombers dont impress me ,bolting type terriers we massive nombers dont mean you have a great proven dog on your hands,special proven dogs are about but its not the nombers game that makes a proven dog,a lot of these bolt type terriers can be shouted out ,a would say you would be a long time triyin shout a proper dog out from his work ,quality far beats nombers !!

so your saying you can't have a proven bayer or bolter...are they only proven if they are "stayers?"I was always under the impression "proven" meant proven at its specific job

some of the best terriers are back garden bred. by working folk. with a real passion for there sport.

Calm down fellas its only a saying...i'm a weekend warrior and i'm not ashamed to of it,are u? :sorry:

this will almost definatly stir a few coments but there are far to many terriers about who are not bred from good stuff! why breed from dogs that dont do much work and contaminate the good blood with bad!! buy a terrier buy almeans but dont breed from the rubish. even well bred dogs dont always turn out to be good but will kill rats ect!!

Personally i have never found hunt terriers game(In Ireland)They like yappy dogs that will bolt not kill.I once gave them a pup on the understanding he came back if not suited.A year later he was back to hard not suited.We used him for years after.

i am with liam on this nombers dont impress me ,bolting type terriers we massive nombers dont mean you have a great proven dog on your hands,special proven dogs are about but its not the nombers game that makes a proven dog,a lot of these bolt type terriers can be shouted out ,a would say you would be a long time triyin shout a proper dog out from his work ,quality far beats nombers !!

so your saying you can't have a proven bayer or bolter...are they only proven if they are "stayers?"I was always under the impression "proven" meant proven at its specific job

i would say proven is just one word and without a discription of the work style and job in hand. it means nothing.

post-14423-1256474693_thumb.jpg Black an tan always dug out.Dug from under foundations of house with jack hammers after three days nearly dead tried to crawl back in.Dug out after big search and rescue dig in the Wicklow Mountains after five days digging with experienced digging men(let down by debens shit new locator)Dog was dead.Their kind are what is called trusted digging dogs.

i would say proven is just one word and without a discription of the work style and job in hand. it means nothing.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

post-14423-1256474693_thumb.jpg Black an tan always dug out.Dug from under foundations of house with jack hammers after three days nearly dead tried to crawl back in.Dug out after big search and rescue dig in the Wicklow Mountains after five days digging with experienced digging men(let down by debens shit new locator)Dog was dead.Their kind are what is called trusted digging dogs.

thats the type liam! good lad!

They look every bit of it Liam.Youd have heart in rearing stuff out of dogs like that.

[Main Man]

this will almost definatly stir a few coments but there are far to many terriers about who are not bred from good stuff! why breed from dogs that dont do much work and contaminate the good blood with bad!! buy a terrier buy almeans but dont breed from the rubish. even well bred dogs dont always turn out to be good but will kill rats ect!

If you had good working terriers and bred them, would you sell the pups to those that aren't gonna do much with the pup?

I wouldn't that's for sure as they would be wasted....could breed the pup with another sub standard dog of their mates and so on an so on

So my thoughts are.... unless people are very fortunate to know ppl with good dogs then they are forced to buy whatever there is available - shit in most cases. Good stuff is kept tight :thumbs:

[Main Man]

this will almost definatly stir a few coments but there are far to many terriers about who are not bred from good stuff! why breed from dogs that dont do much work and contaminate the good blood with bad!! buy a terrier buy almeans but dont breed from the rubish. even well bred dogs dont always turn out to be good but will kill rats ect!

If you had good working terriers and bred them, would you sell the pups to those that aren't gonna do much with the pup?

I wouldn't that's for sure as they would be wasted....could breed the pup with another sub standard dog of their mates and so on an so on

So my thoughts are.... unless people are very fortunate to know ppl with good dogs then they are forced to buy whatever there is available - shit in most cases. Good stuff is kept tight :thumbs:

Good stuff should be kept tight thats why it stays good stuff when its in the right hands.

[Main Man]

Good stuff should be kept tight thats why it stays good stuff when its in the right hands.

Exactly....so only if your in the know do you get a good pup.

I have been lucky, being put on to a pup which i had to travel the length of the country for and has done alright now 2 1/2 years down the line, compared to the 2 pups i had previously from the Yellow Paper.

I'm sure their are miles better dogs about than the dogs my bitch is out of but it's a foot on the ladder for me, the bitch has given me a standard to improve on with the pup I had sent over from Eire recently.

The bitch I have aint proven by a long stretch but what happens if she has another 2 good seasons and I want a pup...should I take a chance on one from an advert??? Line my bitch with the best dog I can find - the dog might be my mates which is alright but no where near as good as Jo Bloggs professional terrierman's dog....BUT Jo doesnt want his blood getting out to any Tom Dick an Harry who only work their dogs once a month on average over a season! I'd have to consider using a dog I was able to use but he might not be the best in the country.......so I'd be getting slightly 'shitter' stuff in the pups.

Hope that makes sense......

Just to add I'm not thinkin about lining my bitch....just playing devils advocate.

Edited by stevolad