ive got a pup at my place at the moment that was savaged by 2 bull terrier at 8 weeks old and nearly died . i took it off the person that owned the pup as they couldnt care for it , ive been caring for it for the last 6 weeks and it was in a right mess , anyway its front legs where ok 1 day the next they where turning out and looked realy bad. when i talked to a vet they told me it was lack of calcium in its diet from when it was born and until it came to me as i feed barf diet.

anyway i did some research on the net and come across a study that some scientists did on rickets , they found that animals that had rickets could be cured with large amounts of cod liver oil added to the diet . they also said in there study that they could cure it in about 6 weeks of starting with the cod liver oil,

so i have been feeding the pup on a barf diet with cod liver oil in every meal ( fed 4 time a day. small meals ) and ive had both its front legs strapped up 1 leg has made a full recovery and the other is neary there now ( about a week ).

this is how i strapped the legs. and found to be best to keep the lower leg straight and the knuckle supported .

i wrapped cotton wool above and below the knuckle,( wrap tape round the cotton wool, breathable tape !) leaving the knuckle free, i then got a card board toilet roll cut 1/2" off the top of the roll then cut the tube length ways , so i could wrap the tube round the leg taping it to the cotton wool and round the middle of the tube , i then used vet wrap to wrap around the tube about 3 times keeping it tight but not over tight , i then taped the vet wrap with breathable tape again so the dog couldnt pull it off.

this then kept the lower leg straight and the knuckle supported but allowing the dog to still walk about , i would change the dressing 3 times a week , allowing the dog some light exercise with out the wrapping but only after about 2 weeks.

she has just about made a full recovery from all her injuries and im well pleased with her progress to say the vet gave her no chance of survival and wanted to put her to sleep but i wouldnt let them as this bitch had been mauled and hadnt even had any help for the first 24 hours after it had happened and was still alive ( just ) thats why i took her off the lad ( he doesnt deserve a dog ) this bitch deserved to live and has got the biggest heart ive ever seen in a pup and she fought all the way . (

i wouldnt give up on her

this is a picture of her with 1 leg strapped playing with my 1/2 x spaniel x beagle

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cod liver oil with full fat milk will help oil for the vittomons and milk for calsium i give it my pup and evry 1 i meet tels me how good she looks

I've always been told not to feed dogs cows milk.

you dont :no: not unless its clad milk :thumbs:

The support bandages came off my puppy yesterday and the legs are now perfectly straight, the vet gave me a calcium combined with Vit D tablet to give her everyday for a month to boost the bone strength. So Fingers crossed she will be OK now.