Auqauriums

Guest Rod&dog

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And whoever said about shops telling you whatever to get more sales must be using a bad shop, or chain. All pet/fish animal traders worth their salt know that you get more money, regular sales and increased business by selling good quality stock that people are happy with, and confident to come back to you again and again, even just for advice. All good shops ( space permitting) will have a quarantine area out back that isolates all new stock before putting in the shop tanks. A happy customer is a regular customer.

Couldnt agree more with this....personally i wouldnt use a shop that wasnt aquatic only...but once you have found a good one stick with it even if it means travelling a distance,a good aquatic shop will be obssessed with the subject and will have fantastic knowledge you can nip into......My first few years with discus i lost a lot of fish through my own mistakes and bad advice.....but eventually found a great shop with a few great guys with unbelievable knowledge.....if you like your Discus get yourself down to Chens Discus in Harrow.....a lot of the better shops are tucked away and only advertise in the magazines,but worth a visit.

whats the longest living fish people had in their tank i had a black widow who i had in the tank for 7 years , its still living but is now in a tank my mother in law has it was the only fish i saved when i got wiped out with whitespot and it seems happy in the new tank that i never put it back in my tank just let it stay at the mother in laws

SNAP!!!! Frankie. The first fish i bought over 20 years ago was a group of black widows. One of them lived for years!!! It survived numerous outbreaks of whitespot, being terrorised by angel fish who laid eggs, heater and air pump break downs etc. In the end it seemed to have lost its bottom jaw but still swam along scooping the flakes from the surface. I still have a soft spot for them, but my favorite tropicals have to be clown loaches :notworthy:

ive got a white goldfish that i won from a circus when i was 4 im 16 now and the things still alive its living in my mothers pond

Richard

This reply just goes to show what happens when fish are given the correct living conditions. How I hate to see goldfish sold as a job lot with a small plastic bowl, neon gravel, a plastic plant and a tube of breadcrumbs! I despise seeing that........knowing in 99.9% of cases it all ends in tears and disappointed kids. :wallbash: (even if a replacement fish only costs 50p.....it's not right!)

i used to keep cyclids years ago and had some good fish ,had a pair of egyption mouthbrooders that bred well ,kept all there young in there mouths when other fish came near bye ..also try putting black mollys in when you first set up aa tank they will live comfortably in any water conditions ,one of the only fish that can live in fresh water and salt water and will set your filters up nicley for you ,an other good tip is to set up a trickle system were you have a small gravel filter above the water and let the floral pump the water through it ,it works the same way as the undergravel filter but you can mess about with tank alot more with out disturbing all your ph levels and nitrate levels in fact once youre trickle system is set up and running right you,ll find the tank will more or less maitain itself ..the longer its been running for the better it gets as all the nitrate are nutralised by good bacteria in the grave as it runs trough leaving you with a healthy tank ....i had marine for a few years but tank got infected by a bore worm after bying some coral it eat almost everything . i ended up having a 4lb perch which lived for about 2 years and was doing well and was qiute a carecter ,was cleaning tank out one day and had put him in bucket ,had to take little lad to hospital so forgot all about the fish came home to find him dead absolutly gutted .....he used to smash about 4 rudd one after another at tea time and then blow a big cloud of scales back out ,pretty awsome to watch