Jagdterrier

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking into getting a jagdterrier.

I currently work a 5yr old JRT for rats, rabbits and in the beating line and am looking for a hunting companion for him. :gunsmilie: I can't find any info on UK working/ or breeders. Plenty info from on the continent tho. Any suggestions, i don't want to import one if i can help it due to costs! :icon_eek:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking into getting a jagdterrier.

I currently work a 5yr old JRT for rats, rabbits and in the beating line and am looking for a hunting companion for him. :gunsmilie: I can't find any info on UK working/ or breeders. Plenty info from on the continent tho. Any suggestions, i don't want to import one if i can help it due to costs! :icon_eek:

german hunting terrier like the size of a pat i think not sure though- got similar markings to a rottie

people come up with some crazy names for terriers nowadays im dying to find out what 1 of these jagd things are any pics please anyone :icon_eek:

jagd terriers is german for huntting terrier , and don't be to sure that you are dying to find out what they are ,,they mabey more than you wish for

people come up with some crazy names for terriers nowadays im dying to find out what 1 of these jagd things are any pics please anyone :icon_eek:

DEUTSCHER_JAGDTERRIER.jpg

just noticed- if you cut away the brown* part of the muzzle it looks exactly like a patts face lol.

Edited by ben1191

I seriously looked into importing these dogs from a breeder in Poland (working and had money at the time) but it costs a bomb n he wont come over with just 1, he'l come with at least a pair and the breeder brings them to your door himself.. And these dogs are serious dogs and come with a warning tag.. There very headstrong and need constant work to fill there need for activity.. They would be far too hard for fox work, they would be just in and crush not just kill.. These are bred for bigger badder game.. The plus side is there good workers and loyal.. Personally id love to put a jagd line into a lurcher, i bet theyd make serious lurchers.. all the best.. Pa

I seriously looked into importing these dogs from a breeder in Poland (working and had money at the time) but it costs a bomb n he wont come over with just 1, he'l come with at least a pair and the breeder brings them to your door himself.. And these dogs are serious dogs and come with a warning tag.. There very headstrong and need constant work to fill there need for activity.. They would be far too hard for fox work, they would be just in and crush not just kill.. These are bred for bigger badder game.. The plus side is there good workers and loyal.. Personally id love to put a jagd line into a lurcher, i bet theyd make serious lurchers.. all the best.. Pa

just did a little research on them,your right their wouldnt be much use for them over here they would do the job but are better served elsewhere.too big 15 inches to the shoulder.they use em to hunt grizzly.(i think :S) ATB.

Edited by ben1191

Making Lurchers? some jadgs never stop barking, in the kennel,on a lead, in the car, in the field, not sure you need that in a lurcher. They are bred to drop

In it's habits, the jadgs seems more like a teagle than a terrier and in Europe they seem to be less used for digging than patts or russels. They are first and foremost a pig/wild boar driving dog rather than a digging dog.

Eric,vermin dog and a few more on here have access to the best ones in Europe but they don't want them or use them for digging, that has to tell you something?

Bryan

Bit of a generalisation, but they are a super crazy dog, absolutely bouncing of the walls. Their prey drive is of off the scale. Good for foxing but not for digging.

I dig with a few lads who keep them, they will only bring them if we are foxing or coypu clearing. A good friend has 4, all have electronic collars for in the kennel, he has vowed never to keep another, we have tried one of his a few times on something stronger and it was emotional.

if you look at the thread a couple of weeks ago you will see that the jagd IS bred from fox terrier,manchester terrier and some other stuff( bred by the german fox terrier club breakaway).

they are bred as multi task dogs. in germany most do not dig but bolt. they are not bred as big game dogs( yes they are used on grizzly,boar,elephant tracking etc) they are bred as terrier( latin earth dog).

the prey drive is immense making them good tracking dogs.

i have personnally seen a jagd spend two days with a raccoon to ground( losing his chin) and when we got to him he still wanted more.sound like a digging dog?