Decent buck shot off prime land

Martin came up for an evenings stalk on one of my best bits of ground .The wind couldnt have been better and i walked to the first brow full of confidence .In the first of the fields likely to hold deer i saw a doe through some brambles overhanging the gateway and peering around these i could see another three deer ,two fawns and a buck .A very good buck for the area actually .Opening the gate wasnt an option but luckily there was a big gap underneath one corner and i slid underneath with ease ,:D the racing snake that i am .Martin was left to his own devises and im sure he wont be offended if i say he took his time in joining me at the shot position :D .We studied the buck a while and i took the shot at an estimated range of 130 yds to which he fell backwards and never moved .We studied the doe and kids for a while until they moved off unhurried down the hedge.A buck and doe kid incidentally .Moved in to see what exactly id grassed and to inspect the shot .Perfect heart and good head that might push silver /gold .The pics dont do it justice really but im well pleased .The evening wasnt over yet as i knew of another buck that i wanted to remove ,a youngster and with Martin in front we back tracked to the ridge and along the top to decend again into the valley with light now fading .We didnt get too far here either as i spotted a doe along a fence edge but close watching revealed a buck directly behind her ,a mirror image if you like .We were a good 200 away so moved on a bit .Martin set up on sticks at a range that i wouldnt contemplate as im not confident off sticks .Martin waited until they seperated and took the buck with a fine heart shot .Good sport ,good shooting ,good company and a trophy ,what more can a chap want .

picture001il.jpg

picture003ul.jpg

Edited by foxdropper

[gOOD STORY THERE MATE NOW TELL THE TRUTH IT WAS A HIGH SPINE SHOT :clapper: GOOD SHOOTING MARTIN AT LEAST IT WENT DOWN.

Perfect heart shot Bud(blew the Aorta right off),it does look a bit high in the pic,but if you look close and follow the ridge of the back along you will then see..............Martin.

well done bud, good experiance for both of you.

i have to say the buck does look like he is quite young( as far as i can see from the pic).

ears seem big in reation to head,strong contrast in colour of the mask,inverted roses and little mass on the antler.

i would be interested to hear how the teeth( molar,pre molar. most importantly the p1) are worn?

without seeing it " en natura" it can only be guess work really of course

i'm not being funny i am just interested in the rough age/weight etc( i can only compare to german roe, at this age he would weigh around 16/17 kilo in the area i have shot. older he would weigh up to 20 kilo)

most importantly well shot and you are happy with the trophy mate.

atb

well done bud, good experiance for both of you.

i have to say the buck does look like he is quite young( as far as i can see from the pic).

ears seem big in reation to head,strong contrast in colour of the mask,inverted roses and little mass on the antler.

i would be interested to hear how the teeth( molar,pre molar. most importantly the p1) are worn?

without seeing it " en natura" it can only be guess work really of course

i'm not being funny i am just interested in the rough age/weight etc( i can only compare to german roe, at this age he would weigh around 16/17 kilo in the area i have shot. older he would weigh up to 20 kilo)

most importantly well shot and you are happy with the trophy mate.

atb

I haven't seen the teeth Waidmann so I will have to let 'FD' answer that one,but,as for the weight he was all of 20kg and most likely more,but,as he wasn't sold on and only went into our own freezers we didn't weigh him,but,he was a very bulky beast mate................Martin.

sound job,bet he tasted great,shot by the own hand and all that :clapper:

the weight varies from area to area, wht kind of weight do they bring? i have always weighed them just to keep records for the shoot/monitor the weight age. mostly not that important but we shot deer in the same area( 1000 hectar) for 15 years and we had improved the weight considerably.

a selective cull of old doe,weak bucks works absolute wonders. the standard of heads too.

good to see people shooting good bucks after the rut and not "on sight".

a man who takes the sport seriously and does the right thing for "his deer"

top notch.