Bad biter - advice wanted

Cornio

Got a new Jill recently and have two issues.

1) She won't be handled and it's not a 'playful' nip, she's fully latching on.

I can put my hand to the cage and she just sniffs it, if I put my hand in the cage, even slowly, she strikes out.

If I do manage to pick her up, she is constantly wriggling and trying to bite.

How can she be handled regularly if you can't even get your hand in there in the first place?

She really doesn't like being picked up.

2) The other issue is introducing her to my 2 hobs.

I fed the hobs (they had their noses in the food bowl) so I put her in and let her sniff around. The hobs didn't mind her being there.

They finished feeding, she had a feed then they started sniffing around each other - nothing untoward.

Suddenly, she gets all playful bouncing around and nips at my poley. I don't think he quite understands the concept of playing and he goes for the neck and starts ragging, so I split them up.

She's now in a cage inside their run, so they can see but not touch.

Is the issue with her? Or is the issue with the hob?

Edited by Cornio

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a new Jill recently and have two issues.

1) She won't be handled and it's not a 'playful' nip, she's fully latching on.

I can put my hand to the cage and she just sniffs it, if I put my hand in the cage, even slowly, she strikes out.

If I do manage to pick her up, she is constantly wriggling and trying to bite.

How can she be handled regularly if you can't even get your hand in there in the first place?

She really doesn't like being picked up.

2) The other issue is introducing her to my 2 hobs.

I fed the hobs (they had their noses in the food bowl) so I put her in and let her sniff around. The hobs didn't mind her being there.

They finished feeding, she had a feed then they started sniffing around each other - nothing untoward.

Suddenly, she gets all playful bouncing around and nips at my poley. I don't think he quite understands the concept of playing and he goes for the neck and starts ragging, so I split them up.

She's now in a cage inside their run, so they can see but not touch.

Is the issue with her? Or is the issue with the hob?

1) when my hob was young he used to bite. this might sound silly to start with but, pick her up and put your finger in front of her nose, when she goes to bite just push your finger horizontly into her mouth (not breaking its jaw tho!). and she should spit it out after a few seconds. just keep doing that and it will stop.

2) eerrm, when the jill gets older it MIGHT get less playfull. im not really sure about this because this is a problem i might have soon because im getting a young jill and im just going to see what happens.

you dont mention her age, theres a big difference between a kit biting or a 2yr old

She's a young 'un Stub, one of this years.

Near on full size though.

Hobs are just over 2 years old, placid as anything.

Edited by Cornio
Is she flesh fed or are you just offering dry food

She's on dry.

Theres your problem , get some flesh down her bugger the dry food she can pick at that as she pleases , but get some meat in her & you will notice the difference in days :thumbs:

Not knocking dry food but kits fare better on meat imo & there a dam sight easier handling once they have a belly full of meat in them

She's on dry.

Theres your problem , get some flesh down her bugger the dry food she can pick at that as she pleases , but get some meat in her & you will notice the difference in days :thumbs:

Not knocking dry food but kits fare better on meat imo & there a dam sight easier handling once they have a belly full of meat in them

Okay cheers Kay, I'll give that a go.

Should I still "attempt" to handle her in the meantime?

It's damn near impossible at the moment. I'm wondering if she's anxious about her new environment and maybe she's on the defensive.

She's on dry.

It's damn near impossible at the moment. I'm wondering if she's anxious about her new environment and maybe she's on the defensive.

let her feast on some meat today & just watch how she behaves , out of interest were you leaving her a dish of dry in all the time , just topping it up or has she been that bad that you have maybe not been able to get enough dry in for her as she is so aggressive

She's on dry.

let her feast on some meat today & just watch how she behaves , out of interest were you leaving her a dish of dry in all the time , just topping it up or has she been that bad that you have maybe not been able to get enough dry in for her as she is so aggressive

She's been able to have as much dry as she wants - she can pick when she wants, she stores it too.

Also, should I get round the biting first before I introduce her to the hobs?

She's on dry.

She's been able to have as much dry as she wants - she can pick when she wants, she stores it too.

Also, should I get round the biting first before I introduce her to the hobs?

I think try the meat at first & see how you go in a day or two she may well be a lot easier handling, you can do any intro's maybe next week