wild polecat

Has anyone on here bred wild polecats or crossed them with ferrets. Have access to polecats but don,t know if it is worth a crack at breeding them or trying to cross them. Large size puts me off a bit. Plenty of them around here. Go mental when cage trapped, hissing, spitting and letting off scent glands. Soon quiet down though.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a reason why you would want to do such a thing ?

Polecats have to be removed from poultry farm (free range) and just had the idea rather than him kill them. Thought crossing may introduce qualities such as coat quality, health/strengh into line bred family possible better resistance to cuts/bites (from rats etc) from going bad. Maybe not such a good idea after all.

Do you have a reason why you would want to do such a thing ?

Polecats have to be removed from poultry farm (free range) and just had the idea rather than him kill them. Thought crossing may introduce qualities such as coat quality, health/strengh into line bred family possible better resistance to cuts/bites (from rats etc) from going bad. Maybe not such a good idea after all.

if they r wild mate WATCH UR FINGERS lol just a thought would the wild polecats not see the domestic as a threat or even food ....

Edited by festa

if the mother to the kits was a very tame ferret . . then the kits would copy her behaviour . . though may take longer to get out of the nippy stage, as long as you handled the litter from as early as possible as much as you could and as long as you spoke to the kits even at a couple of days old to get them used to human voice then it may work . . better then them being killed at any rate, . . rather you getten bitten by the lil critters then me tho!!

all the very best with what ever you decide to do Annemarie xxx

• 4 weeks later...

Ye im in west wales and there are loads. I see them in the garden all the time, my missus often shouts your ferrets are out in the confusion. They are bloody huge mind, so any attempt to handle one would be with good glove. My mate has a taxedermist friend who done him one it looked brilliant in the shed on his shelf. The farmers love them with us because they are nabbing all the bunnies.