non working ferrets

hi all

i have been offerd two ferrets they are 2 years old and what i can tell they have not been handled much as they are biters and do not want to be touched

just wonder if they can be made to work or should i steer clear of them

if this is possible is there eny advice on how to turn them around

i have working ferrets my self and thought if i put them to work with one of them would that be a good start after i try to get them used to being handled

eny sergestions welcom please

atb bob

hi all

i have been offerd two ferrets they are 2 years old and what i can tell they have not been handled much as they are biters and do not want to be touched

just wonder if they can be made to work or should i steer clear of them

if this is possible is there eny advice on how to turn them around

i have working ferrets my self and thought if i put them to work with one of them would that be a good start after i try to get them used to being handled

eny sergestions welcom please

atb bob

IF YOU ARE BRAVE ENOUGH TO RISK THE ODD BITE FROM THE FERRET YOU WILL GET THEM TO A REASONABLE LEVEL OF TAMENESS,YOU WILL SOON GET THE NACK OF HOLDING THE FERRET BY THE NECK AND AND AVOIDING ITS TEETH WHEN IT TURNS TO BITE YOU...AND YES THEY WILL WORK START THEM IN VERY SMALL WARRENS JUST A COUPLE OF HOLES,THE PENNY WILL SOON DROP.....I HAVE HAD PLENTY OF FERRETS SIMILAR TO THE ONES YOU HAVE BEEN OFFERED......ON SAYING ALL THAT PLENTY OF NONE BITING YOUNG FERRETS AROUND AT THE MOMENT WHY NOT GET A PAIR WITH NO BAD WAYS..?

i would say steer clear of any adult ferrets unless you know them well and know they are well handled, as for working i think they can but i have took my mates adult non working ferret out once and he lay up at 3 foot and when we got to him he moved on and so on 4 times around the 3 foot mark :wallbash:

cheers, jay.

Last year had two dumped on me by an old boy, a hob and a jill, the hob was a little slow, but the jill worked quite well, this will be her second year, so I expect her to shine, I'd give them a go and see how you get on, or check my first post last year and see how I got on sorting my rescues out :D

Give it a try see how you get on mate good on you for taking in two adult ferrets that bite and trying to cure them .

I think its a load of bullsh*t when folk say a ferrets a ferret when your out 3/4/5 times a week and looking at a ferret bolting rabbits or from a big deep old warren see if every ferret goes deep and bolts all the rabbits then say a ferrets a ferret .

A said give them a try if it dont work out youve tried your best

To be honest if you have bred them your self from parents who have a few seasons under there belt then you know for sure that they have come from working stock

However if your buying in stock then unless its someone you know well & are sure of the stock anyone can say they are from proven working stock , same as they can tell you there bred for the show scene , i think sometimes people just tell you what they think you want to hear :laugh:

My polecat jill was a pet for her first two years... not all that well handled, but that was soon overcome and works better than my albino jill who is 'from working stock'...

Unfortunately shes had her bits out so I can't follow up her breeding - oh well saves jill jabs!