im having trouble getting photos up again, dont know why but my lemon curd looks lovely. Ive made one and a half jars. The proof will be when i try it properly when cool, but if it tastes as good as it look im on a winner!

I will persevere with the photo

Photo added! not the best photo but needed to lower the pixels to alllow it on

post-10515-1251303685_thumb.jpg

Edited by trappa

Yes mate, nice and simple- just how i like it!

Get 2 lemons and finely grate the skin (zest) -only the yellow , not the white underneath. Put in a small pan.

Now squeeze lemons to get 5 tablespoons of juice (more or less to taste) and put in same pan.

Add 4oz of butter and 8oz sugar and put in same pan.

This is the only awkward bit, hold that small pan in a larger pan of hot water-(not boiling just hot) until its all melted and dissolved.

Then beat 2 eggs and add them to the pan, then simmer on a low heat. You cant let it get too hot or the eggs will start to scramble!!! so nice and low simmering and stirring continuosly.

You only need to do this for a few minutes as it thickens in the jar, you will know when its ready as it will be thick on your spoon.

When done pour into warm jars, thats it! And boy does it taste good!

You warm the jars for two reasons i know. First when putting things like jams etc into jars they are at very high temperatures which could crack a cold jar, second, when you put the hot produce into a warm jar and put the lid on it will create a vacuum and the lid will tighten down just as if you bought it.

As for the pans, I did it this time by simmering the big pan and holding the little pan in it but you can do it both. Its emphasis on keeping that temp down enough to cook but not letting the eggs cook if you know what i mean. its getting to sound complicated but its not honest!

post-10515-1251303538_thumb.jpg

Edited by trappa
im having trouble getting photos up again, dont know why but my lemon curd looks lovely. Ive made one and a half jars. The proof will be when i try it properly when cool, but if it tastes as good as it look im on a winner!

I will persevere with the photo

Photo added! not the best photo but needed to lower the pixels to alllow it on

Lovely stuff. Son used to call it daffodill honey when he was young. :D

I love lemon curd i am going to make some as well, the recipe sounds like the lemon part of a mirange pie

MMmmm Lemon Meringue pie...I think some more cooking is in order. I swear I have put on a stone during my leave :angel: , back to work Monday to work it all off :)

John