Vets! are they all money grabbing w*nkers!

vets, 2 things that annoy me!!!,,,

1, I own a landrover, if i want it fixed i take it to a man who knows landrovers and all there little quirks and problems!

When you ring the vet and ask if they have experience of dealing with lurchers / long dogs and they state "all dogs are the same!"

that is not a "good" sign! and i do not want some locum vet that wants to use there qualification to travel the country!

2, my deerhound x decided this morning, to run head first into a barbed wire fence, somthing he is quite keen on!

and given that he has skin made of tissue paper he made a proper job of his front leg and inside his back leg.

unfortunalty the greyhound vet i normaly use has closed its doors to lurchers,, so i was straight on the net for a local vet as he needed

to be seen a soon as posible,

The first vet saw him quikly and "quoted" approx £150 (but this could go up!) as they wanted to knock him out and keep him in!

I then remembered there was a vet in my village, i drove there as qulickly as i could,

The second vet then quoted £310.75!!!!!!!!!!!!

i drove him back to the first vet as now my proirity was getting him fixed!

BUT,,, How can they charge £150 and even £310?

surely even if you consider £50 for sedation and antibiotics £100 for max 30 stiches is madness???

the point,,

Can we please have a "hunting life" approved vet list,,

Sorry to hear about your dog mate, hope he is back to full fitness asap :thumbs:

Mine had a similar accident a few months back and was qouted £150 at 2am...by 8am it was £468 and continued upwards during the first 5 days until I discovered that my circumstances at that time qualified me for reduced priced treatment from the PDSA...my circumstances have now changed so hopefully no more accidents as my local vet, as you can see is very expensive and does not appear to have any more knowledge with lurchers than me :thumbdown:

Maybe I'm lucky, but the vet I use (typical mixed animal surgery in my local village) has a genuine passion for lurchers, he's very understanding and has proved invaluable over the years, his rates are very reasonable and is always ready to help in an emergency. The staff at the surgery are always very helpful and patient.

I think its always worthwhile to insure the dogs, that few quid a month is well worth it when serious(expensive) problems arise...and choose your vet carefully. Ask other working dog owners which vet they would recommend.

same old mate, the old days have gone the word is greed and commercialization, weather its your local shop pub or vets all they want is there brand name and a load of money for it. wankers if you ask me, wheres all the good humble people gone :wallbash:

Well my vet i think fair,[ booster,3 drontal plus, and full MOT,]on him 40£quid. He does all greyhounds at [ WRT MG] and he is spot on, he knows about lurchers and how hard they have to work in the field. ;)

My old retriever had a cut on his leg and needed 7 stitches, i went in and was there while they stitched him up, they gave him antibiotics and put him to sleep for 10 mins. Charged me £140 , they are robbing basterds. I will try and do most things my self now like administering antibiotics and glueing small cuts and other little things. Those little things most would rush down the vets for. I just sort it out my self saved loads, i do however have pet insurance incase the worst does happen.

1, I own a landrover, if i want it fixed i take it to a man who knows landrovers and all there little quirks and problems!

When you ring the vet and ask if they have experience of dealing with lurchers / long dogs and they state "all dogs are the same!"

that is not a "good" sign! and i do not want some locum vet that wants to use there qualification to travel the country!

2, my deerhound x decided this morning, to run head first into a barbed wire fence, somthing he is quite keen on!

and given that he has skin made of tissue paper he made a proper job of his front leg and inside his back leg.

unfortunalty the greyhound vet i normaly use has closed its doors to lurchers,, so i was straight on the net for a local vet as he needed

The first vet saw him quikly and "quoted" approx £150 (but this could go up!) as they wanted to knock him out and keep him in!

I then remembered there was a vet in my village, i drove there as qulickly as i could,

surely even if you consider £50 for sedation and antibiotics £100 for max 30 stiches is madness???

the point,,

A: vets are in business they are not a charity. their business overheads vary same as any one elses

B)if you dont like vet bills then get insurance.

Any lads from s.yorks A CROOKS and partners charged my mates father who was walking the dog at the time.£800 [bANNED TEXT] the dog dislocated his back leg no surgery was performed on the dog.It does pay to get insurance as most vets now charge extortionate prices due to the assumption that everybody insures their pets IMHO a scam worked to generate money between the royal college of veterniray and insurance companys. :angry:

the point,,

f@cking theives licence to print money

the point,,

soon as you walk through the door at your local vets its cost you £20 thats before they do owt,best off using a greyhound vet even if you've to travel

I hate my vets went about a month ago to get the frontline as usual and they wouldn't let me have any more as they had not seen my dogs for two years?? what a load of crap, they wanted me to bring them all in for a checkup, pay a consultation fee and then they would give me them. I asked when the 2 years had been up and it was less than a 3 week, i told her that i would be changing my vet, went to lloyds pharmacy and got the frontline there. Cheaper and none of the stealth tactics.....