Buying stuff from the states

I'm thinking of buying some stuff from cabelas this week. I understand that the shipping is 45% of the overall value of the items.

Can anyone shed any light on how long it takes for items to come (my biggest item would be chestwaders).

Also how nice are the customs people - what are the percentages on that sort of stuff?

Also help appreciated.

i bough some gear from cabellas and got screwed by the customs,never again.it was almost as much to clear it as it waws to buy it.

Sod that, bu are you in the south? Im in the North so customs could be cheaper as up here is part of the UK, yes? no? Anyone know the rates for the customs, what amount is chargeable to the custom rate and what amount is chargeable to VAT???

I ordered a bipod and quad bike hand muffs off them last year, got stung by customs cant remember how much exactly, but remember thinking it worked out just slightly cheaper than if i had bought it here.

You may get lucky and it may get missed by customs then you will get a good deal......

I'm thinking of buying some stuff from cabelas this week. I understand that the shipping is 45% of the overall value of the items.

Can anyone shed any light on how long it takes for items to come (my biggest item would be chestwaders).

Also how nice are the customs people - what are the percentages on that sort of stuff?

Also help appreciated.

Hi ive been told you need to get things sent over has a gift so you dont pay tax

Also help appreciated.

Hi ive been told you need to get things sent over has a gift so you dont pay tax

Correct but cabellas won't do it......others like www.uplanders.com do if you ask.

Guest bullterrier

see if there are any members on here from the states i think there are a few ask them if they could price the item and delivery charge for you and would buy and send as gift hope this helps you out .. :thumbs: ...john

see if there are any members on here from the states i think there are a few ask them if they could price the item and delivery charge for you and would buy and send as gift hope this helps you out .. :thumbs: ...john

I bought a number of high end pieces of equipment in the states in the past and when sent over have paid 33% tax on it :blink: and eventually it worked out cheaper to get a cheap weekend flight to NY, pick up the gear which had been bought over the phone in advance, and bring it back as my own. :icon_redface:;)

Yes buying from the USA isnt the gem some people first think it is. I have been buying from the states for about 16 years now on and off and for most things the tax worked out at an average 25% of the total!!! What a rip off country we live in!!!

These daysi only get things from the USA when someone i know is going over..... :) JD

I looked at a stealth cam, over here Deben were offering them at £480 or something RRP for the model I was looking at, I got the same model delivered from states for £145 new, the shop even marked the cost down and labelled as a gift... Excellent bargain :D

Also help appreciated.

Remember the company that picks up your package, will pay the VAT at customs and then they charge you for doing so, or they wont release your items, ask cabelas if they will mark it as a gift and the contents value is $50, you wont need to pay any more money at this end, i have bought loads of gear from the states and always ask the same question (mark as gift ) if they wont i buy elsewhere. :clapper::clapper:

Also help appreciated.

I have bought lots of stuff from the USA, never had any problems,or had to pay any taxs,allways had very good service ,and high quallity goods,

its a pity we cannot get the same in this country.