Lithium Ion Batteries

i havnt used mine much maybe 6 times or so but it has been the best money i have ever spent on a battery. Because i am a solo lamper i now really enjoy walking over the hill for 2/3 hours instead of dreading it, carrying either the 7ah or 18ah battery. i have replaced my 100w bulb with a 50w one so cant comment on how long it would last.

how do the batteries cope with the 100w bulbs

Perfectly well, had a couple of long nights with mine and a Striker, no problems at all, battery lasts with loads to spare.

Li Ion technology is very different to the old sealed lead acid type, even with a brand new properly charged 17A battery I was finding it would start to fade after a couple of hours, whereas the Li Ion pack stays as biright as it is when you first put it on, then it will completely die. But I have to say that I haven't run mine down so far, and I am like Jamie and his magic torch, it's on more than it's off when I'm out, I'm shit at getting over fences and ditches so have the lamp on far too much.

Also ........... charging, it is no problem at all to just top up your battery with these new packs, you can't over charge them.

Expensive, but excellent.

Aye, i'll have to agree with SS, his battery really seems to go the distance on a night out and also on the plus side, that light weight sees him marching boldly across field and hill, vaulting gates and wire and then leaves him fighting fit the next morning! ;)

Note to self.... Got's to get me one.....! :D

bosun get your hand in your pocket,YOU NEED ONE!!!!! more than i needed £200 deerhunter pants and jackets lol :hunter:

:clapper: Yer mate your right but with a baby due in two weeks.... Anyways, that Deerhunter turned out to be the most expensive feckin dog bed ever, Teddy Boys never been so warm and dry!!!!

Perfectly well, had a couple of long nights with mine and a Striker, no problems at all, battery lasts with loads to spare.

Li Ion technology is very different to the old sealed lead acid type, even with a brand new properly charged 17A battery I was finding it would start to fade after a couple of hours, whereas the Li Ion pack stays as biright as it is when you first put it on, then it will completely die. But I have to say that I haven't run mine down so far, and I am like Jamie and his magic torch, it's on more than it's off when I'm out, I'm shit at getting over fences and ditches so have the lamp on far too much.

Also ........... charging, it is no problem at all to just top up your battery with these new packs, you can't over charge them.

never run mine down fully and ive had some long nights with stricker....also they have no memory as in you dont have to run them down fully to recharge them like sealed lead batteries ..

SS, how does it stand up to a 20amp SLA in reality?, that's what I'm trying to get at. I think I get something like 2 hours good light then 30 mins downhill with my 20amp SLA and the 100w bulb (could have been 75w at the time of test but lets say 100w for arguments sake).

How long is a long night, how long is a piece of string, we've all got different ways of lamping :yes: The ground I cover is unfriendly toward vehicles so we can't use them. We gear up and then it's off up the farm/hill and the night is done when the battery is :yes: So I don't want to buy what would amount to an expensive pig in a poke if it can't last the distance. I know a lot of guys here can switch off their lamps walking from stand to stand, if we do that here then there's a trip to the doctor/hospital in store :D

So I guess what I am asking is, if you plug it into the 100w bulb and switch it on from fully charged, exactly how long (minutes/hours) does it keep going for? :hmm:

Thanks for all the replies :)

John

I lamp some very steep hilly ground as well, and always on foot with the longdogs. I lamped all last winter using one of these batteries and a 100w striker - the battery is so light I just put it on my normal trouser belt and forget about it. I didn't run it flat once and generally charged it up once every few trips out. Personally I wouldn't just connect it up to a lamp and leave it run the battery flat for fear of cooking the lamp. I'm out for an hour and a half or so every night on my own and slightly longer trips with mates once or twice a week. I have found that people differ a lot in how they use the lamp, I use it very sparingly but other people seem to have it on all the time and can't seem to walk across country at night without using the lamp to see their way. Given that you are covering some rough ground I would suggest that you buy an LED torch for walking and negotiating obstacles and the Tracer pack for powering your lamp. I would never go back to an ordinary battery now, it makes a huge difference not to be lugging a big heavy battery up and down the hills and I'm sure that it would be a revelation to you as well.

LG,

I do have a back up torch but it's only for emergencies. The reason I always have my lamp on, it's got a dimmer BTW, is that I've lost count of the amount of foxes we've spotted while we've been on the move, it's not just for getting around. The ground here dictates what we can and can't do. In 100 yards in any direction you'd spend time counting hollows, gullies, rocks, gorse, stone walls and so forth, all of which can hide a fox or two. To do the job right we have to be on the ball all of the time. I'm not trying in any way to knock the battery but I am trying to stubbornly dig out the facts I need to see if it's a worthwhile purchase for my lamping. I've never cooked a lamp as I rewire them as soon as I buy them :yes: An hour and a half light wouldn't be worth it for the price for me. After Christmas we're into purely controlling fox numbers for sheep farmers, we spend a lot of time out especially in March/April.

I'm not disagreeing that it is excellent in weight saving compared to SLA batteries but I really need to weight up the pro's and con's of the set up for my particular situation :yes: If they made a 20amp (or higher) battery it'd be an easy decision for me to make ;)

Hi John, considering the ground you hunt I can see why you use a walking light, I would still consider a powerful LED torch and a Tracer powerpack, although if you have really deep pockets you could always get two Tracers - the weight will still be less than a quarter of what you are carrying around now! From the autumn onwards I carry a smallish LED torch on my belt and have shot rabbits and foxes and done all sorts of other things with it as well.