The ground

Before this thread develops into two camps, lets just say I doubt very much if any one on this site keeps their dog on a lead all summer or hunts their dog hard all summer !!! My point is there is no problem running a rabbit or two early morning, if you consider the going to hard, use your common sense and don't do it. My 12 m.o. lurcher will burst into full gallop and strike at crisp bags, pop cans, etc, when out for a walk, absolutly no difference to the short runs she has on rabbits. I was walking only 50 yds from my house this morning and my Doberman put up a roe in a place it had no right to be in !! She chased it for two feilds and then followed up on scent, she came back 1/2 an hour later, knackered. Would I deliberatly chase a deer or hare at this time of year ? Of course not !, but my dogs are off the lead most of the time and things like this sometimes happen. Once again, it all boils down to common sense.

Cheers.

i'd go for the middle way i wouldn't go out for a nights lamping with the ground as it is but the dogs do get the odd run on grass after bunnies. i love the summer and i love the winter were lucky in the uk that we have variable seasons as it gives us oppertunity to do different things

i'd go for the middle way i wouldn't go out for a nights lamping with the ground as it is but the dogs do get the odd run on grass after bunnies. i love the summer and i love the winter were lucky in the uk that we have variable seasons as it gives us opportunity to do different things.

Guest whitser

i read alot on this site bout dogs getting injurys running on hard ground but i think a lot of this is down to the make up of the lurcher as well. salukis,sloughis,pharoh hounds etc in their countries of origin are all hunted over the hardest stoniest driest soil you can get with no problems. i take my dogs out every evening in the summer. if your dogs well made and fit he should be able to run anywhere a rabbit can run. plenty off road work will harden the dogs feet and help prevent injurys.

salukis are bred to run on hot hard rock,so a hot grass field shouldnt really bother them,the fact of the matter is simply that we should all be letting our game have a rest and time to breed.i personally wouldnt risk running one of my saluki x's on the hard ground anyway

Guest whitser

i dont be out hunting in the summer after game, i just go for rambles around local lay -aside that holds the odd rat or rabbit,no lamping,digging or coursing etc. but just cos there's no hunting doesn't mean your dogs shouldn't get a good run around every evening. i get the impression off some lads on this site that once the season's over the dogs are kennelled til the next year.