Have you ever had a Jill die because you haven't bought her out of season?

Have you ever had a Jill die because you haven't bought her out of season?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Answer "Yes" if you've lost one or more, "No" if you have tried it and not lost any

• Yes
    • No

Just a follow up on a thread about bringing Jill's out of season. There seems to be a divide on people's opinions and I thought it would be interesting to do a poll. If you've never tried to leave a Jill to come out of season by herself then please don't take part in the poll. This is purely a poll for people who've tried it themselves thus cutting out the "my mate tried it" factor.

First effort at putting a poll up but I think it should look ok.

Edited by RWDSteve

Funny how people who have never lost a ferret by not mating are leading the vote and posting, whereas the people who have lost ferrets by not mating have nt posted :hmm:

Y.I.S Leeview

maybe they are ashamed to post... as the information is commonly out there and known... that if they'd tended to their jills in season they wouldn't have lost them...

it might not happen all that often.. with the increased care we give ferrets these days.. and i have never personally lost a jill in season... though i've either jabbed, spayed or bred them so i'm not the target of the poll... but i do know people who have...

Funny how people who have never lost a ferret by not mating are leading the vote and posting, whereas the people who have lost ferrets by not mating have nt posted :hmm:

Y.I.S Leeview

maybe they are ashamed to post... as the information is commonly out there and known... that if they'd tended to their jills in season they wouldn't have lost them...

it might not happen all that often.. with the increased care we give ferrets these days.. and i have never personally lost a jill in season... though i've either jabbed, spayed or bred them so i'm not the target of the poll... but i do know people who have...

Fair enough 7 people say they have actually experienced losing a jill through not mating, out of 316 views, Shepp's reply was that his jill looked rough so he had her to jaffa hob after a couple of month, well done honest reply :clapper: it can be done but needs monitoring closely IMHO

Y.I.S Leeview

I supose that the natural assumption is if a jill dies while in season is that the season has caused it. However, I mated a jill this year as she was a very good worker and I wanted some kits off her. This was her third season and she had never been mated. She only had 4 young and was doing them well when she just uped and died on me. Fine in the morning, when I went to give her the evening meal at 8pm she was allbut dead. By 10pm she was.

Am I to blame that on the fact that I had mated her this year? There could be any number of reasons why the jill died, the same goes if a jill dies while in season. Unless a postmortem is carried out no one knows for sure what causes the death of a jill.

TC

Guest shadowz

We have had 2 die from being left in season.

Both brought to us heavily in season and very poorly and both had PM done after death to establish cause ( can be obtained from newnham court vets PETS )

Both cost us a fortune at the emergency vets within hours of them arriving ( £150 for one of them and £320 for the other + PM costs on top that that )

I am going to stick my neck out as I did vote yes. I did believe I lost a jill a couple of years ago due to her being in season too long. It wasn't because she wasn't mated as she had been to a vasectomised hob that I had. But that year for one reason or another he was not firing on all cylinders. I say this because after I lost my jill I noticed a couple more who still had swollen vulvas well after mating. I then mated them to whole hobs that I had to give the old boy a rest and therefore had 3 jills who had litters that season. One was a planned mating though and other 2 were one's that had failed to be brought out of season properly.

The jill I lost masked her illness very well though and died suddenly. Upon reflection though some of the symptoms she had been showing reminded me of what I had read about jills when they become ill after not being mated. I didn't put the two and two together at the time as she had been mated ( even saw it). I do remember seeing the jill with a very swollen vulva though and did mate her again and thought that she would be ok and be brought out of season in time. But she still died, very suddenly and had a 'swollenish' vulva at the time. I was gutted to be honest and never made the same mistake again and always made sure I checked and double checked my jills after they had been mated. I have never had the problem since and still don't know to this day if it was that which killed her?

But my gut instinct was that it was.

• 2 weeks later...

I nearly lost mine from aplastic anemia.. She went in the vet to get spayed, I'd only had her for a week but she'd been in season for who knows how long. Her platelets were so low one vet even refused to spay her.. Another vet did spay her, and thanks to laser surgery she lost very little blood and made it out fine.. Had she not been spayed she would have died, no doubt about it.

i didnt mate a jill i had a few yrs ago that i had as she had somefing up with her kidneys (so the vet told me) so when she came into season after i was told this i didnt get her jumped and she died about 4 weeks after not sure weather it was her kidneys or not getin served? so i voted yes...but i think no would be most peoples views as i no plenty of people who have done it and not had a death

I nearly lost mine from aplastic anemia.. She went in the vet to get spayed, I'd only had her for a week but she'd been in season for who knows how long. Her platelets were so low one vet even refused to spay her.. Another vet did spay her, and thanks to laser surgery she lost very little blood and made it out fine.. Had she not been spayed she would have died, no doubt about it.

Anemia is the thing, Jills that are in season are losing blood when the anemia sets in they come out of season, when there blood recovers they come back in season and so on. If your Jill has an insufficiant diet it can die. Fresh food is the key and by fresh I mean meat (carcases). I have never had a Jill die and asked a vet (one of my customers) why and he explained what I just said yc.