Putting weight on a pup.

Guest moomin300uk

my pup is coming up 8 months and is doing well tho is a bit on the skinny side... I had her on one meal but have been advised by a older much more experienced dog man to put her back to two meals... she is eating her two meals but dose not seem to be gaining weight... I feed complete food or chicken pasta and veg but never mix the two its either or.. exactly how much should she be eating a day?? in kilos or pounds?? she is fit but when she starts doing more i dont want her fading away... please reply to this as everyones methods are different and the more replys the better for everyone..

Some pup's grow up lankey before they fill out, my own pup has just turned 10 month's he was the other way he was what you would call fat but in the last couple of month's he's starting to turn into a nice looking dog :good: Stick to 2 feed's til your pup is 12 month, and worm regularly good luck. :thumbs-up:

Moomin,.Get rid of the 'complete food',.it obviously ain't doing the business for you, now is it?

Your dog is a predator,.so,.fecking feed it like one... ;) Chicken carcases,.green tripe,.lamb bones,.RAW,..and see how things go.... ;) I'm a born again BARF feeder,...and my pup looks like Bruce Lee,.only much thinner and longer,..and with different coloured eyes :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trust me.... ;)

All the best to you and yours,.CHALKWARREN.... ;)

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Guest moomin300uk

Moomin,.don't let me down,...I thought you were a sensible lad???????

Get rid of the 'complete food',.it obviously ain't doing the business for you, now is it?

Your dog is a predator,.so,.fecking feed it like one... ;) Chicken carcases,.green tripe,.lamb bones,.RAW,..and see how things go.... ;) I'm a born again BARF feeder,...and my pup looks like Bruce Lee,.only much thinner and longer,..and with different coloured eyes :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Trust me.... ;)

All the best to you and yours,.CHALKWARREN.... ;)

Socks she Is a bitsa with a high % collie grey

Sort of knew the correct answer just wanted to see the general consensus on the matter... But i am going to ditch the complete and put her on fresh i have good suppliers of cheap fresh cuts...

I gave Ruby a large fresh rabbit with his jacket off she took her time on it up 15 Min's to eat she worked from the neck down she look like she was about to give up on the hind quarters so i let the terrier out and she soon started chomping agian...

when you say chicken carcases do you mean from a poultry factory like the left over after the meat has been boned out?? also what quantity of freah would you give IE weight??

Thank you for replays

All the best to you too CHALKWARREN

Hi Moomin,...I'm no expert at this kind of feeding regime,.in fact,..I've only just gone back to feeding raw meat and bones after quite a few years of using the various complete mixes. I've always bulked them up with mixed tripe and beef,.but now it gotta be bones and fresh raw flesh. As for approximate weights and suchlike, well,.unless you are conditioning a race dog (whippet or Grey)..or are into match coursing, where tip top conditioning is critical,.I would just feed your dog what it wants to eat. If the fecker looks too fat,.then cut the grub down,..and if too thin,..then offer some more. The carcases I like are the ones with the breast and legs removed. There is still plenty of meat on them. I also love watching my pup eat those ribs and backs of boned out lambs,..she loves em! That raw stinky green tripe is also good for a lurcher pup,..and quite frankly,.the smellier the better..Decades ago,.I used to feed sheep's heads,.cows udders,..you fecking name it,.but 'darn sarf', it would seem that the slaughterhouse job is all sewn up and controlled by the Pet Food Mafia :laugh: It is extremely difficult to obtain a regular supply of offal and similar cheap grub for the dogs. That being said,.I will never go back to the corn flakes and kibble ;)

All the best to you,..CHALKWARREN.... ;)

Guest moomin300uk

cheers chalkie will get her on those bones can get plenty of tackle as i am a chef and the butchers are very friendly when you are buying a couple of hundred £££ s worth of meat week so will get lots of bones for nowt and hearts livers ect for next to nowt... not to sure about the green tripe but i will ask also i might even contact thr local slaughter house... hopefully come the Autumn my dogs will be eating fresh rabbit every day...

offal should be fed sparingly mate twice a week at the most ;) .... if you feed chicken beef tripe or a mix of them i would start off with a pound of meat to a pound of mixed veg and fruite 1 slice of wholemeal bread and a splash of oil ... seperate that into 2 meals and feed one mid morning and the other last thing at night ... this is done to get maximum absorbtion from the feed .... if the dog is not putting on the weight you want then increase the quantity by 1/4 of a lb at a time ... remember that pups of this age normally need more food that a fully grown dog .........

Edited by socks