Most rabbits

Whats the most rabbits you have had out of one set?

I had 9 out of a hedgerow set that stretched about 40-50 yards with three ferrets.

And the most you have had on day's ferreting?

I have had 42 between 2 ferrets and 3 of us out there purse nets only. On my own the most i have had is 18 to the longnets.

how many spots has a lepoard ,63 rabbits from one man made warren started at 7.30am and was still getting the odd rabbit out but hard work as the sett was so big we had ten ferrets working one half and my mate had eight in the other side, finished at 2pm, finally got the ferrets all out 5 and a half hours, three men, 18 ferrets, 63 rabbits ,the moral of this story look for smaller sets :good:

good hunting all woodga :ph34r:

Guest Frank

13 from one warren, 17 in one mornings ferreting. I usally only ferret the first half of the day, up to say 1 pm, then pack up.

This was 10 years ago, am getting back into it now.

Frank.

Mind this was 35 years ago in the railway embankment of Wressle station in Yorkshire me and four mates with their ferrets had 150+ in the day.

We got 5p each for them. I was only 15, the fields were full of them like a plague. I have never seen that many rabbits since then.

I dont think myxy had reached there then.

Nowadays, I am lucky to get half a dozen where I go, you chaps that get large numbers now are lucky, what do you do with them?

15 out of one warren, with only the one jill ferret :yes: that was when i popped out for an hour or two, i was back home (after taking the rabbits to the butchers) and eating my lunch by 12 :11: :whistle:

Going back again to my best day, I dont think as a 15 year old, I appreciated how special it was.

Its had the old cogs turning in the head, we didnt use purse nets, we used 3 long nets to form a funnel and trap.

The oldest lad 'Smudger' was a well experienced hunter who had learnt his trade from his dad who was a top lurcher man at the time. Believe his dad was a guard on the railways thats how he new this spot. (If by chance you read this Smudger, PM me)

Even before we started ferreting we had rabbits in the net, just walking along the embankment sent them running off across the field.

I still remember the journey home to Geordie land in the back of a bedford van with all these rabbits. Think the bloke that we sold them too supplied the butchers in the Grainger market in the toon.

Funny, now through work I live in Yorkshire not that far from the scene of our exploits.

Yes, been back just by chance to see if the hoards of bunnies are still there, nope they aint, its a wonder the railway line still is though there was that many holes. :)

AAAH MEMORIES........................................................

Going back again to my best day, I dont think as a 15 year old, I appreciated how special it was.

Its had the old cogs turning in the head, we didnt use purse nets, we used 3 long nets to form a funnel and trap.

The oldest lad 'Smudger' was a well experienced hunter who had learnt his trade from his dad who was a top lurcher man at the time. Believe his dad was a guard on the railways thats how he new this spot. (If by chance you read this Smudger, PM me)

Even before we started ferreting we had rabbits in the net, just walking along the embankment sent them running off across the field.

I still remember the journey home to Geordie land in the back of a bedford van with all these rabbits. Think the bloke that we sold them too supplied the butchers in the Grainger market in the toon.

Funny, now through work I live in Yorkshire not that far from the scene of our exploits.

Yes, been back just by chance to see if the hoards of bunnies are still there, nope they aint, its a wonder the railway line still is though there was that many holes. :)

AAAH MEMORIES........................................................

Fu**ing hell,I had forgotten about that,remember as a kid I used to love visiting the Grainger market to look at the roe,hare,pheasant and other game hanging unskinned,au naturel,in the butchers section :yes::yes: Most rabbits we got in a 24 hour period was 130+ but the area we hunted was saturated with them :icon_eek:

Hey Mackem,

What ever happened to Dave Millers gunshop in Sunderland?

He started in the arcade then moved twice in town after that. Is he still about?

I bought and sold all my shotgun and firearms from him, he was/is anice bloke for a mackem, me being a sand dancer :11:

Hey Mackem,

What ever happened to Dave Millers gunshop in Sunderland?

He started in the arcade then moved twice in town after that. Is he still about?

I bought and sold all my shotgun and firearms from him, he was/is anice bloke for a mackem, me being a sand dancer :11:

Millers gunshop used to be round the corner from the bus station when we were kids,my mate Malcolm had a part-time job in there,but I left Sunderland when I was 16 mate,havent been there in years(can you blame me :no: ).Besides,we used to go upmarket for our gear,Bagnall & Kirkwoods or Steve Smiths in Newcastle,better class of establishment ;):yes: