Novice Reloader

I'm really interested in starting to reload, I currently just use factory loads but would like to try reloading for the improved accuracy and the benefits cheaper ammo. How much would it cost me to get a complete? Whats the best gear to have for a novice? I'm intending to reload for my .223, .243 and .308 but I will start with my 223 until fully confident. Cheers, woolly

Hi as said the LEE Anniversary kit is a great start i still have my press 10-12yrs of loading. As stated you need to buy dies in said caliber & i personally cant recomend the Lee Deluxe dies enough. You will also need to buy a case length gauge in your calibers too & im not sure what is in the Lee kit as i havent looked. What you need is dies/case trimmer/chamfuer tool/pocket primer tool/powder funnel/auto prime/case length gauge in your cal's you need maybe an MTM case block then you could build from there like zip trim/ perfect powder measure etc. As for you calibers Hodgdons Varget is a great powder for 243 & 308 not sure on 223. I also crimp my ammo & always have done 90% of my loads so you will need to look into crimp dies for your cal's too. Lee stuff can be quite cheap but he designs/makes very good reloading gear it's all i work other than an RCBS rockchucker press it's all lee equipment & dies.

I was a bit concerned about reloading cos' it's such a science, or so I believed, after a lot of asisstance and advice/help from a local gunsmith I soon realised that once everything is set up, it really is not as difficult as I had imagined.

One thing that happened for sure was the accuracy of my rifle improved with 'homeloads'! I load for my .243 with a CCI BR2 primer, 68grain Berger match bullet and 41gr of Varget, a very accurate load ;)

Good luck, you wont regret it

I was a bit concerned about reloading cos' it's such a science, or so I believed, after a lot of asisstance and advice/help from a local gunsmith I soon realised that once everything is set up, it really is not as difficult as I had imagined.

One thing that happened for sure was the accuracy of my rifle improved with 'homeloads'! I load for my .243 with a CCI BR2 primer, 68grain Berger match bullet and 41gr of Varget, a very accurate load ;)

Good luck, you wont regret it

It took 5 years for me to be convinced to start to reload. Found all the talk of digital verniers, thou this and thou that, along with primer pocket uniformer and flash hole de-burrer all very daunting and confusing :blink: . However, decided to convert to the dark side and bought myself an RCBS Rock chucker kit and some Redding dies and can honestly say it was money well spent. :thumbs:

I will never use factory ammo again! Not only do groups tighten, but you are also able to produce your own bullet to meet your own needs. I was unable to find a round that would group well through my Sako .25-06 :wallbash: , other than Federal 85 grain BT which was not suitable on larger deer. I am now able to use 115-120 grain bullets through it and get sub 1/2" groups. There is also something very satisfying about producing your own load and seeing good results from it! :yes:

I'm really interested in starting to reload, I currently just use factory loads but would like to try reloading for the improved accuracy and the benefits cheaper ammo. How much would it cost me to get a complete? Whats the best gear to have for a novice? I'm intending to reload for my .223, .243 and .308 but I will start with my 223 until fully confident. Cheers, woolly

Woolly,

As a novice reloader myself with the Lee Anniversary Kit, I would recommend you invest in some digital scales instead of the balance beam style that comes with the kit and also a set of digital calipers to measure the length of the cases and the length of the completed round.

I would also recommend purchasing the Lee shell holder attachement so you can hold the cases in an electric drill, this when used with the necessary length guage for your caliber makes trimming the brass, de-burring and polishing with fine wire wool easy and all can be done without removing the brass from the drill.

Reloading is one of those things you can become very anal about! which is understandable when your a Bench Rest shooter, but not so necessary when hunting.

I'm sure if you have any further questions or are unsure about anything the members of this forum will be more than happy to help!

Just remember to start at the lowest recommended weight in powder for you caliber and then work up!!!!

Hope this is of some help.

Jonher

• 3 weeks later...

Woolly,

As a novice reloader myself with the Lee Anniversary Kit, I would recommend you invest in some digital scales instead of the balance beam style that comes with the kit and also a set of digital calipers to measure the length of the cases and the length of the completed round.

I would also recommend purchasing the Lee shell holder attachement so you can hold the cases in an electric drill, this when used with the necessary length guage for your caliber makes trimming the brass, de-burring and polishing with fine wire wool easy and all can be done without removing the brass from the drill.

Reloading is one of those things you can become very anal about! which is understandable when your a Bench Rest shooter, but not so necessary when hunting.

I'm sure if you have any further questions or are unsure about anything the members of this forum will be more than happy to help!

Just remember to start at the lowest recommended weight in powder for you caliber and then work up!!!!

Hope this is of some help.

Jonher

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, go for it.

I started reloading about six months after I got my first Centrefire (about 15 years ago).

The cost of ammo was a bit of a shock after previously only 'feeding' a .22 rimfire? I bet you've found the same?

I bought a Lee Anniversary kit, and still use most of it today, I have replaced the press with another Lee but the cast Iron one, now I only use the Aluminium one for seating bullets, also I have bought a set of digital powder scales and a powder trickler as advised by another respondant, this is also a good plan, but the balance beam type in the kit is perfectly good, just a bit slower.

I would advise you to start reloading your .243 and/or .308 first, because the cases are much larger and more robust, also the .223 uses 'Small' primers, the other 2 use 'Large' ones, so again no problem but just a bit less fiddly for a 'beginer'. I also only have Lee die sets, I think they are just brilliant, RCBS and the others cost way more, but I can't see any worthwhile benefits? I reload .223, 22-250, .243 and .270, mostly about 25 to 50 at a sitting.

However you are well advised that hand loaded ammo is at least 50% better than factory, and cheaper to boot.

How can you go wrong?

Best of luck, load em up!!

The only thing that I would add to the above answers is to buy a book on reloading from one of the powder or bullet manufacturers. If you are going to use Lee gear, and there is no reason not to, I have used it for the past 30 years with no problem whatsoever, I would buy Richard Lee's book 'Modern Reloading' second edition. It not only covers all aspects of reloading from start to finish, it shows how to correctly set up your loading gear, powder loads and much more.