feeding dry cat food your opinions

Not all cat foods are created equal, some are pretty damn good and better than a lot of commercial ferret foods. When I do have to feed dry [in summer, I've even had problems with flys at night], I use Eukanuba Lamb and Rice and Innova Feline...bit pricey but there is a much higher meat content in those foods and less fillers than in say Whiskas cat food or even a lot of dry ferret foods.

In winter of course it is rabbit, hare, duck, mice and whatever other furry or feathery things I can get my mitts on for them, eggs are fine I just seperate the yolk and chuck out the white.

They are all healthy and I feel the more I put into them, the more I get from them in return...they work their guts out on rabbits for me so I owe them good grub!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously you don't know that the egglaying season is long gone, indeed they've fledged now!!!

And that 'fezzers' aren't a wild species......

:laugh:

so your trying to tell me the the swifts and swallows that are late from the mother africa are not layin now yeah :no: . ok come and tell the little winged numpties that they got it wrong and thats not an egg it's a pebble. and as for fezzers not being wild??? granted they're pretty much a human invention now but every fezzer that escapes has the potential to go wild again just like pigs and funny enough the little buggers somehow survive :hmm: :hmm:

Obviously you don't know that the egglaying season is long gone, indeed they've fledged now!!!

so your trying to tell me the the swifts and swallows that are late from the mother africa are not layin now yeah :no: . ok come and tell the little winged numpties that they got it wrong and thats not an egg it's a pebble. and as for fezzers not being wild??? granted they're pretty much a human invention now but every fezzer that escapes has the potential to go wild again just like pigs and funny enough the little buggers somehow survive :hmm: :hmm:

If we're talking feral ferrets, I'd assume that their main food scource is small mammals.

They might well eat the odd egg, most carnivores won't pass up a free meal, but I can't see the average ferret making much of an impact on 'swifts and swallows that are late from the mother africa'. I mean, look at where they build their nests for a start off. What's the 'fezzer' meant to do? Fly up there?

Tell you what, you feed your 'fezzers' eggs for a fortnight and see what happens :laugh::laugh:

If we're talking feral ferrets, I'd assume that their main food scource is small mammals.

They might well eat the odd egg, most carnivores won't pass up a free meal, but I can't see the average ferret making much of an impact on 'swifts and swallows that are late from the mother africa'. I mean, look at where they build their nests for a start off. What's the 'fezzer' meant to do? Fly up there?

Tell you what, you feed your 'fezzers' eggs for a fortnight and see what happens :laugh::laugh:

:D :D i know what'll happen and it won't be good. as i already said moderation. as for swallows and swifts the point was certain birds are still nesting and laying but i suppose if a ferret was savvy enough :hmm::D

Edited by mushroom
i feed my two with ferret nuggets soaked in water first and they get rabbit pigeon,and i give them cold meat ie honey roast ham or chicken i was offered day old chickens but i dont know if thats a good idea ??

Day old chicks are a very good idea, and quite cheap if you buy them in bulk.

i feed my two with ferret nuggets soaked in water first and they get rabbit pigeon,and i give them cold meat ie honey roast ham or chicken i was offered day old chickens but i dont know if thats a good idea ??

again perfectly correct but don't give too many day olds they lack calcium and other vital vits and mins. a mixed diet is invaiably going to be the best i feed mine the day olds once a week two each.

name='scarecrow243' post='1130350' date='Jul 5 2009, 06:24 PM']i feed my two with ferret nuggets soaked in water first and they get rabbit pigeon,and i give them cold meat ie honey roast ham or chicken i was offered day old chickens but i dont know if thats a good idea ??

I think day old chicks are just like a egg they have never had the time to build muscle etc and the fluff can irritate the mucus in a ferrets throat

I think day old chicks are just like a egg they have never had the time to build muscle etc and the fluff can irritate the mucus in a ferrets throat

I think you're wrong. Certainly they ought not to be the ferret's main food, but they're nothing like an egg. It's the albumen in the white of an egg that causes problems, not the yolk, so the small yolk sack of a day-old chick poses no problem. Also chicks aren't covered in fluff, and I've seen no evidence that they irritate the mucus in a ferret's throat.

In fact, if you think about it, mucus can't be irritated anyway, as it's just a secretion.

Edited by CommanderData

ers sum info on chicks Actinomycosis in Ferrets

According to James McKay in his book “Complete Guide to Ferretsâ€, actinomycosis in ferrets is a hard swelling of the neck, probably caused by abrasions to its esophagus, usually by feeding the ferret too many day-old chicks in the diet.

Some of the symptoms include

Listlessness

Anorexia

Fever

It is usually cured by injections of cephalosporin and the ferret will probably have to be fed a liquid diet until fully recovered.Hypocalcemia in Ferrets

Hypocalcemia is caused by a lack of calcium in the blood.

It can happen about 3-4 weeks after the jill has given birth and is usually caused by a poor diet.

According to James McKay, feeding the jill only day-old chicks would pretty much cause this complaint.

Symptoms are:

Hind end paralysis

Convulsions

See your vet immediately so that he can give the ferret an interperitoneal injection of calcium borogluconate.

After receiving that, you'll have to make sure your ferret is fed a calcium-rich diet for complete recovery.

According to James McKay in his book “Complete Guide to Ferretsâ€, actinomycosis in ferrets is a hard swelling of the neck, probably caused by abrasions to its esophagus, usually by feeding the ferret too many day-old chicks in the diet.

Listlessness

Anorexia

Fever

It is usually cured by injections of cephalosporin and the ferret will probably have to be fed a liquid diet until fully recovered.Hypocalcemia in Ferrets

It can happen about 3-4 weeks after the jill has given birth and is usually caused by a poor diet.

According to James McKay, feeding the jill only day-old chicks would pretty much cause this complaint.

Symptoms are:

Hind end paralysis

Convulsions

See your vet immediately so that he can give the ferret an interperitoneal injection of calcium borogluconate.

After receiving that, you'll have to make sure your ferret is fed a calcium-rich diet for complete recovery.

Listlessness

Anorexia

Fever

Symptoms are:

Hind end paralysis

Convulsions

again good info but it will be dismissed as shite