Ferrets & Flu

For the past 9 days I have had the flu and a nasty chest infection so havent been anywhere near my ferrets as ive heard they can catch flu from humans. Ive been on antibiotics which has shifted the infection but I still have cold-like sypmtoms, runny nose, sneezing alot, sore throat, generally feeling very ill which has been great in this heat.

My question is, when I can I start handling the ferrets again? When all the symptoms are completely gone just to be on the safe side. There are some kits in question here too. Its killing me not being able to sit out there and play with them, although my partner loves them very much too and has been feeding and cleaning them twice daily for me, I know he would love me to go back to doing it! lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi any form of the flu/cold type virus can possibly be dangerous to ferrets so my advice is stay away until you feel better.

Regards FT

There is no "flu/cold type virus", the viruses that cause both are quite distinct. In particular the rhinoviruses that cause colds are species specific, so unless by some magic you've managed to catch ferret cold your animals are quite safe from your human cold.

I don't know about the Ferrets catching human flu but I've had Ferrets with Cat flu before. They lose complete control of their limbs and the faeces is just running out of them.

The vet told me to let him PTS but I kept them in my bedroom in a toy box full of shreded paper and hand fed them sugery watered down milk and liqudised cat food every two to three hours, day and night for just over a week.

My mum kept complaining about the smell and that I was bunking school for "Those damn ferrets". but I refused to give up on them as I was only 11 at the time and they were my first pets. Then one feed time they started moving their paws trying to get to the food I couldn't believe it, and a week after that my dad chuffed as nuts with me, took me to the vets to show off the Ferrets. Vet couldn't believe they had pulled through!

I worked those little jills for another two or three years after that.

A photo of a photo but these are the two.

Ferrets.jpg

Mewithferrets.jpg

Cheers

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu

Influenza type B

Bit of a scroll down................. but none the less factual!!!

That's a nice article. Here's another.

Do you have a stutter, or is there a more obvious reason why you would repeat a posting wihout comment?

no stutter, wanted to save it incase it got deleted/edited :D:D you asked for definition of ferrets being capable of contacting flu from humans and vice versa a link was provided theres a good few more and you retort with a link about diseases???? when the topics clearly about viruses

Y.I.S Leeview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu

Influenza type B

Bit of a scroll down................. but none the less factual!!!

That's a nice article. Here's another.

Do you have a stutter, or is there a more obvious reason why you would repeat a posting wihout comment?

no stutter, wanted to save it incase it got deleted/edited :D:D you asked for definition of ferrets being capable of contacting flu from humans and vice versa a link was provided theres a good few more and you retort with a link about diseases???? when the topics clearly about viruses

Y.I.S Leeview

Nice one Leeview you hit the nail right on the head there mate!

FT