I once judged at the wortley show in 1981 even though i was a young man some of the comments made my mind up never to judge lurchers again .I penned a letter to the shooting times how the show craze was going to be the downfall of the ultimate poachers dog.thank god i was wrong

poacher is there still a show held at wortley dont do shows but i also used to go wortley late 70s early 80s just a thought as show kept going. :thumbs:

Same as me i havent heard of them holding shows for years it was the eccelsfeild beagles that used to organize the small country fair happy days out at that show.A lot different from some of the shows nowadays no doubt lads and lasses did'nt take it too seriously in them days.atvb

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go again.Dident get a wee prize to take home.So the teddy gose out of the pram.Listen mate .Now dont you go telling anyone else this.You keep it to yourself.IT,S ALL FOR FUN YOU TWAT. We all l

I've Judged a few shows in the past, i must admit it is a nerve wracking experience. My objective is that i try to pick the Dog that at least looks like it can do the Job, As we know a lot of Lurchers entered in the shows never see any Quarry. As it was mentioned earlier on on the thread it's a bit of fun during the Summer months. At the end of the Day the only Person really pleased with the Judge is The Show Champion owner.

Dereks judged for me in previous years at different shows and you will not find a better judge. It may be of interest that the bitch that was put up as show champion was ALC champion last year and also east of england champion of champion. The bitch "Lottie" was best in show last year under a different judge and I have seen her win four times Again under different judges, Are all the judges wrong???. The reserve Champion has won at other shows (under different judges) and has already qualified for the ALC championship so the two will meet again in august at the countryside show at pickering in yorkshire.

The point I am making is that top class judges (Like Derek) know what to look for in a working lurcher and will sometimes pick out the same dog at a different show. This goes to prove that quality shows and four different judges agreed. Does that mean they were all bad judges?

Broughton show is one of the best (FREE) game shows in the country and as for people putting their dogs in their cars and going home, we were still having the craqc hours after the show finnished. Thank you Derek for doing a grand job.

Courser.

Guest rocky4
This post sounds as though its been started by someone who had dogs at Broughton, thought they were on a winner, but wasnt, and is choking on sour grapes :sick: :icon_redface:

Standards!!!! its not feckin crufts, you pay your pound and take your chance :D

and i have a good idea who it is

I know Derek Webster, and he is one of the very best ferret and dog men, you could meet. Also a real good bloke.

He knows his stuff.

Top man is Derek, excellent judge of ferrets and dogs.

For all you show organisors wanting a good HONEST judge here is your man.

just on a last note about judging dogs,

years ago i used to take my dogs to a few game fairs and most times the same judges would be judging the lurchers and the terriers at every game fair in Ireland,and they brought their own click with them,judges names like King, Kelly,Erwin and Byrne,you would never have a chance no mater how good your dog looked for when kelly judged king got first and byrne got second or if erwin judged terriers byrne got first and kelly got second prize,so that did take the goodness out of the shows,

Guest rocky4
just on a last note about judging dogs,

years ago i used to take my dogs to a few game fairs and most times the same judges would be judging the lurchers and the terriers at every game fair in Ireland,and they brought their own click with them,judges names like King, Kelly,Erwin and Byrne,you would never have a chance no mater how good your dog looked for when kelly judged king got first and byrne got second or if erwin judged terriers byrne got first and kelly got second prize,so that did take the goodness out of the shows,

i mate its a shame when that happens but that day at broughton thre was a dog thre out of mine i have the brother here plus you know your self when you go to shows on a regular basis you get to know a lot of people so if i was that way inclined i would of picked the bitch out of mine all th e best

yes Rocky i know the story,yes better being fair in the judging than a crook,thing is when i went to the shows it was a real joke to see what these so called judges picked for first and second places,

poacher 3161 your spot on the shows were just for a laugh for most lads ,at one 70s this lads mouthing off his dogs a world beater,field boundry has afew BIG holes one of lads :drink: slips the fellas terrier. owner went drip white , dog to ground as show in full swing the dog stayed all of 5 mins but look on owners face stayed with us 30 odd years :clapper: all the best.

Guest rocky4

your spot on you ad a lot of lads then who went for the crack plus alot of the shows aint on any more holme valley beagles colne valley beagles now gone i used to lgo to ranch house stokesly when frank ran it ken gould s at sutton boddington great lads good days sadly now gone plus a lot of the lads dont go any more if you give every body a fair crack of the whip you wont go far wrong all the best

after reading all the posts 99% cannot be wrong about what a top dog man and judje you are anyone with half a brain can see what a hard job it is for a judje aspecially in that heat as for the sad --- he must have been at a different show from broughton

cheers mate

thanks for the kind words it saddens me at times i dont show my lurcher or terriers i prefare to work them every dog was judged proper not patted twice even the lurcher that bit me was given the same amount of time the lurchers started at 11 30 and finished at 4 30 and may i say they were a credit to there owners im not going down the road of slagging people off if you think i didnt do a good job then thats your choice its very rare i take any thing with broughton its for local charaties so i never take any thing if you feal you want to judge let me know we can sort a show out for you ive a couple of hob kits spare in a couple of weeks after simon white head takes is two once again thanks for the posative comments all the best for the coming season

well said, think it hard job judging meself, and you wont get fairer than this man :clapper:

havent been to a show since last august but oh my nothings changed!! if you dont like the judges opinion then its simple......dont enter under them again ;)

hi i was the steward for derek at the show and everyone i spoke to around the ring side was more than happy with his judgin but you alays get one f*ck wit that wants to start talkin shit on the net why not say something on the day when you was there

please note all you show organisers

derek is now taking booking for the winter season pie judging

not many know that derek is not only one of the top judges in the dog scene but is also president and founder member of the north of england pie and pasty championships.

he can tell the ingredients of a pie or pasty or anything edible just by a sniff of his incredible sensitive nose or by a sly lick of his snake like tounge.

this man is top of his game .he knows every pie shop in the north and has visited every one.

there is no fee for his services it will be on an all you can eat basis.....so it wont be cheap

hurry up as dates have already been booked