12 months foxing?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last year jan-dec we got 197 on 3500 acres but this year its been quiet so far only at the mid 50's all with a .222 and this is for hobby not a living we go out out twice a week

thats going sum hey.

must be nice having 3500 acres, we have about 1100 scattered about and seam to be over doing it a little. just trying to get some more

last year jan-dec we got 197 on 3500 acres but this year its been quiet so far only at the mid 50's all with a .222 and this is for hobby not a living we go out out twice a week

thats going sum hey.

must be nice having 3500 acres, we have about 1100 scattered about and seam to be over doing it a little. just trying to get some more

yep we are lucky but we stick at it. we are just starting on the cubs now had about 20 in the last month out last tues put the lamp on and without moving it there was 5 sets of eyse in the beam just at the bottom of the light there was another set of eyes we ended up with the vixen and 2 cubs great night.

• 6 months later...

73 mate. Keeper on 700 acre midlands shoot but estate backs on to urban areas so we get a lot of town foxes. Plus the local firaerms officer tells us that leicester council dump foxes on our patch they trapped in the city. It's no sport shooting the semi tame ones but they don't live on fresh air so we can't afford to leave them.

I have had 37 since last April on a permission that nearly reaches the local town. It is the only permission I have where I have been asked to specifically control foxes. It is an wetland area full of ground nesting birds and only about 200 acres in two parcels of 170 acres and 30 acres.

If you walk or drive through the town at night it is surprising how many foxes there are about.

ft

Best year was 2003 with 273 foxes shot off 700 acres ,a free range chicken farm .The year before we did 97 and the year after we shot 123 all off the same farm .The big numbers happened when we got used to the place fully and includes what was bushed and dug .The area has never recovered and i now shoot maybe 10 a year .Nowadays i only shoot them when required .Im on 19 for this year with no expectations of a record year .

I shot 12 last year which is probably my most - could have made it about 15 as three trotted within easy shotgun range at a driven pheasant shoot but we were told to leave them on safety grounds at the briefing - as a guest I didn't want to rock the boat :boxing:

Personally I think there is still a lot of fieldcraft and sporting element to shooting fox's. Calling, lamp tactics, wind awareness, lay of the land all comes into play the same as running dogs - The taking of the shot itself is not simply point and shoot.