Working Dogs in California USA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

As you may have picked up from my profile, I'm living in Wisconsin now. Visited Cali a fews times, never lived there. I'm just nuts about all types of hunting. Of course we do the most of what's closest to home, what with the current state of the economy and all.

the kemmer is a line of mountain cur.

our curs are descended of the curs brought over britain in the colonial period. they are related to the smithfields.

the blackmouth, catahoula & lacy dogs are mostly still true curs that work cattle or other large rough livestock and then go hunt up the meat for you. the blackmouth & catahoula are pretty stranger unfriendly on their own property. off property they mostly just ignore strangers. hard dogs to steal unless you use small children to do it. mountain curs, leopard curs, canadian curs & plott curs are almost exclusively hunting dogs. stock dogs are very rare in these breeds now. a lot of personal lines are treated as breeds, the kemmer, stephens, & faulkner lines are all mountain curs. the canadian cur is mostly mountain cur w/ a dash of pointer & border collie way back. the parker cur is mostly catahoula w/ some mountain cur way back. the outlaw cur is pointerXpit & blackmouth cur. the florida cur is a mix of catahoula & blackmouth.

w/ your small properties i would a imagine a nice hot nosed short range cur dogs would be handy for flushing fox, deer & boar to the gun & would be handy (at least as handy as a good collie)for making lurchers.