Guest john5
hi all. is there any main advantage to having a sound mod whilst stalking? is it just used to protect your own hearing e.g stalk without ear defenders to hear whats going on...

i have known several disintergrate while being used on a centre fire rifle , they seem more trouble than what they are worth and you still have the sonic boom anyway ,no doubt someone will have a different oppinion ,for stalking you only usually get one shot so i do not bother about the noise factor .

i think they are a pile of shite on a big rifle

hi all. is there any main advantage to having a sound mod whilst stalking? is it just used to protect your own hearing e.g stalk without ear defenders to hear whats going on...

i have known several disintergrate while being used on a centre fire rifle , they seem more trouble than what they are worth and you still have the sonic boom anyway ,no doubt someone will have a different oppinion ,for stalking you only usually get one shot so i do not bother about the noise factor .

hmm similar to what i was thinking, i think they come into use with 22rim fires for lamping etc because of noise reduction but as you say wilst stalking it is only one shot.. the only other benifit i can think of would be a slight decrease in recoil? whats everyone elses views?

Guest john5

hmm similar to what i was thinking, i think they come into use with 22rim fires for lamping etc because of noise reduction but as you say wilst stalking it is only one shot.. the only other benifit i can think of would be a slight decrease in recoil? whats everyone elses views?

on a rimfire using "subsonic" ammunition they are a "MUST HAVE" piece of kit , on a centre fire your carrying around a dustbin shrouding your barrel , as for recoil , you aint going to notice too much , now why dont you use a decent muzzle brake and improve your accuracey with some decent home loads and you should be able to place all your shots in an inch circle at 200 yards ,......... i can .

Ear protection and reduction in recoil full bore mods do both . It is true they do not add to a rifles looks but many old deerstalkers do not hear very well.

Deer don't mind though if a rifle has a mod on or not though i have shot deer without a moderated rifle with less than 5 min between shots, while still in the high seat giving a shot beast waiting time.

Guest john5
Ear protection and reduction in recoil full bore mods do both . It is true they do not add to a rifles looks but many old deerstalkers do not hear very well.

Deer don't mind though if a rifle has a mod on or not though i have shot deer without a moderated rifle with less than 5 min between shots, while still in the high seat giving a shot beast waiting time.

Ear protection and reduction in recoil full bore mods do both . It is true they do not add to a rifles looks but many old deerstalkers do not hear very well

how very true that is :( after more than thirty years my hearing has sufferd more than i dare addmit

i have a mod on my .222 but its a screw on the end. it throws the balence a wee bit but not with the bi-pod. its definately an advantage when culling deer as an ex keeper the advantages were great when you had to get the numbers. whist out lamping ive found they often enable you to get a second shot off if there is more than 1 fox present. i have never heard of them disintegrating, coming loose (unscewing) mabye if they are threaded badly. do not leave on the rifle after use or itr will rust. great things !!!!!

They are very handy indeed. Yes, mainly health and safety, but you also get to hear the bullet hit the deer, and that tells a lot about whether you got the shot right.

As for muzzle brakes, evil things, for those around you anyway!

They are very handy indeed. Yes, mainly health and safety, but you also get to hear the bullet hit the deer, and that tells a lot about whether you got the shot right.

As for muzzle brakes, evil things, for those around you anyway!

spot on :thumbs:

Wouldn't be without mine, makes a massive difference noise wise, I prefer them when lamping late at night as they do quieten a gun down a lot and stop you getting a banging head ache to boot and upset neighbours were your shooting..

i have a mod on my .222 but its a screw on the end. it throws the balence a wee bit but not with the bi-pod. its definately an advantage when culling deer as an ex keeper the advantages were great when you had to get the numbers. whist out lamping ive found they often enable you to get a second shot off if there is more than 1 fox present. i have never heard of them disintegrating, coming loose (unscewing) mabye if they are threaded badly. do not leave on the rifle after use or itr will rust. great things !!!!!

What mod are you using Steve

Just getting my 243 fitted with a wildcat this week so havent shot deer with a moderated rifle, but I have one on my .223 and shoot foxes and I can totally back up what Mr_Logic and IanB have said. Sound reduction is a massive plus; a few times I've shot a fox then shot another only 1/2 fields away. A friend of mine has a .270 and he would never fire his again without a mod.

hi me and my butty had new land to shoot over rabbits everywhere plus fox but the only thing that the landowner was concerned about was the noise . explained about the mods one happy landowner .

W.D

Edited by welshdragon

Wouldn't be without mine either.

As others have said, you can hear the bullet strike a lot more clearly :yes: Although there is still the sonic crack it's A LOT less than you would get without the mod which is good for not only your hearing but public awareness, livestock & other potential quarry. As for them blowing up - something of a rarity i'd say - the only con i can think of is the extra length / weight on the barrel .