Just been up to feed my Chickens and discovered Rats had got into one of my sheds containing a Broody Bantam and a Clutch of Light Sussex chicks. Only to find all the Chicks missing. There was blood over the front of the shed where the b*****ds had dragged them out. All out War has been declared.

Edited by salclalin

Just been up to feed my Chickens and discovered Rats had got into one of my sheds containing a Broody Bantam and a Clutch of Light Sussex chicks. Only to find all the Chicks missing. There was blood over the front of the shed where the b*****ds had dragged them out. All out War has been declared.

shoot the fu**ers

Yes, thats what comes with poultry..........

Last year whilst sitting down in the orchid i witnessed a rat a little smaller than a female cat take my sussex hen and drag her down the hole.

Live traps, then throw them in the kennel with the dogs.

Great fun!

:( thats gutting ... I had similar with carions taking a whole brood of ducklings... I now trap for England!! :gunsmilie:

I have never known a year like it for rats. Normally I'll get a few under the poultry houses over the winter but they'll be back in the fields by spring. This year we're over-run with the sods. I have hoppers down all year with Neosorexa Gold and that generally keeps the problem well under control. But this year there are at least 3 nests on my patch and one next door. Two of the one's on mine can be accessed if I move some shed panels - that's the plan for tomorrow, if we don't go to Pont ar Elan show.

I'm wondering if these ones are getting some sort of immunity to the bait? I read there was a study by Huddersfield uni that has identified a strain of 'super rat' taht has immunity to anticoagulants.

Anyone care to recommend an alternative bait? - I am also using trusty Eley Wasps and they seem more effective that the poison at the moment!!

ATB,

Cotswold

I,ve just had four Turkeys hatch today and some more Light Sussex.I hope i don't have any more casualties :angry:.

Cotswold, as regards your thoughts about Rats getting immune to poison i was chatting to a chap who sets poison in a factory i used to work in, He said it was a waste of time poisoning Rats where Poultry is concerned because the poultry food contains a natural antidote(Vitamin k)

I have never known a year like it for rats. Normally I'll get a few under the poultry houses over the winter but they'll be back in the fields by spring. This year we're over-run with the sods. I have hoppers down all year with Neosorexa Gold and that generally keeps the problem well under control. But this year there are at least 3 nests on my patch and one next door. Two of the one's on mine can be accessed if I move some shed panels - that's the plan for tomorrow, if we don't go to Pont ar Elan show.

I'm wondering if these ones are getting some sort of immunity to the bait? I read there was a study by Huddersfield uni that has identified a strain of 'super rat' taht has immunity to anticoagulants.

Anyone care to recommend an alternative bait? - I am also using trusty Eley Wasps and they seem more effective that the poison at the moment!!

ATB,

Cotswold

soak wheat in antifreze for a couple of days works a treat give bit at a time

ATB,

Cotswold

Not many animals get an immunity to lead.

Last year whilst sitting down in the orchid i witnessed a rat a little smaller than a female cat take my sussex hen and drag her down the hole.

Great fun!

Must have been a small hen..........

I'm sure i'd like my kennels full of rat piss.........

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Great fun!

Shamo, it was a young sussex hen.

As for the kennel smelling of piss, the dogs have 15ft runs, any caught rats were released into the pen.

Rats at the end of the day chap.

Hope that has cleared your confused faces.

;)

Great fun!

Shamo, it was a young sussex hen.

As for the kennel smelling of piss, the dogs have 15ft runs, any caught rats were released into the pen.

Rats at the end of the day chap.

Hope that has cleared your confused faces.

;)

Hardly confused more shocked......you said kennels not runs.

Edited by Ko Shamo