when do you start gettin your dog ready for the season ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Buck

a try to keep my dogs as fit as i can throughout summer months aswell, although it is difficult with this warm weather. am up at 7 in mornin doing 2 miles roadwork, then at night [bANNED TEXT] am home from work about 8 ish, am out doing another 2 miles roadwork, plus som free runnin across fields. maybe not every1's cup o tea, but it works for me :good:

cheers folks, Buck :clapper:

Guest lurch

i didnt think so !! how many nights you out to be running that amount of hares ?

Weather permitting Chilli,i'm out at least 5 nights,not keen on Friday/Saturday nights as not most but all my hunting is ...

When i say i don't work,i'm working at the moment mate but in the next couple of months it'll have to stop.Cheers Andy. :signthankspin:

is it a self sufficency life you have living off your catch as fivenights a week s alot of lamping it must be a stuggle to find enough stuf to catch

Guest alastair

I agree with a lot of what socks is saying,I try to keep my dogs reasonably fit through the warmer months.

It is difficult in these conditions.I expect some one who lamps rabbits 3 or 4 times a week through the winter would have different ideas on fitness than for a greyhound that has 3 races a week through out the year.

Some lurchers are used almost like coursing greyhounds but a lot arent.

In reply Kane,i run anywhere in the region of 150+ hares a week :icon_eek: during the winter months and letting the dog rest up over the summer B) makes no difference to the dog at all :no: ,it may take an extra one or two nights to get him upto a reasonable fitness level which ain't no big deal :no: ,imo for a lurcher the way to go is forget about the summer months B) for keeping the dog fit,let them rest,enjoy the break yourself :drinks: and bring them back super keen and raring to go,nothing wrong with walking the dogs and preventing a (shit up) :11: dog run,as you can walk them a hundred mile and it will do almost nothing for them fitness wise.As socks says whatever methods you choose..good luck,i'll stick to the one i've used for over 25 years.Cheers Andy. :victory:

asd mate ,how many acres do you have ,i have about 1000,and cant come close to those figures,not questioning you,just interested.regards from me.

Guest mucker

i tend to get the dog out abit more a couple of weeks before the season start and change the feeding abit ,terriers abit sooner.

there impressive numbers andy, theres a couple of lads on my road bang into the coursing couldnt beleive the milage they do in a season to run the hares and its all they do.

id have got bored after a time :11:

Edited by mucker
Guest mucker
[bANNED TEXT] u say you'll change ye dogs food wat do u change it to or do u give it less ?

adult dogs i feed mostly a complete feed ,meat occasionaly.

as i dont work the dogs out of season im not too fussed about the content of what they eat also no set time to feeding.

but in a few weeks there,ll be fed at night and i,ll be looking to up the protein content etc a bit. although nothings set in stone as to what that will be.

A few have said they like to keep a dog fit all year round and I agree.By fit I mean capable of doing a nights lamping all year round .Just as an athlete needs to acclimatise to hot weather so does a running dog .

Obviously the performance is different in the warmer months but it makes the winter nights easier on the dog if its used to a bit of muscle work before hand.Road work is no substitute for running as it does not stretch muscles or diaphram.Wrongly or writely I lamp all year round as ground is not a problem to me .I have the lamping on several golfcourses where the grass is watered in the evening,providing a perfect base .

What I have noticed over the years is that working a dog continuous shortens its working life!The greyhound boys will understand this Im sure .Ive found that working a dog continuos takes roughly 3 years off its working life span .Obviously this varies but if you want to test a dog to the full then work it all year .A dog is in its prime at between 4-5 years old and every year after this that the dog works satisfactory is in direct proportion to the amount of work its done in those 5 years .The only thing that varies for my dogs is the protein content.High in winter and medium in summer . :thumbs-up: