As a hunting guy brought up with hunting dogs,all aspests of hunting dogs, over a period of 30 years,i seen a big increase in rifle shooting with people that have never owned a working dog,the biggest plonker is the warrener with his video's, money making,milking the younger aspests of the hunting fraterity of they're money, that is a sore subject with me so we want go there, he has started a trend that we can't go back on, you have only got to read some of the posts off this site,too understand these guys have never owned a working dog so they don't understand when you ask them this question ,"why are you shooting over good hunting ground where there are boys that are hunting it with they're dogs,that are also keeping the vermin down to an acceptable level", also hunting people keeping hunting dogs,and also applying to buying rifles,having many conversations with these people and getting no where,which way do you think is the best approach,in telling these people after they have shot everything in that area ,they have also losted they're own bit of time that they will never have back,which way would you put it over too them,would like to read your comments on this matter.all the best old dog

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AngelicAcid

Its happening everywhere, ive also brought this subject up with friends and elsewhere.

Basically a lot say its for pest control, fair enough, but a lot just do it for the heck of shooting stuff.

I 110% agree that THEY are ruining it for everyone hunting with dogs ferrets and also THEMSELVES.

When doing this they are destroying the balance.

f*****g it up especially for the dog lads.

More and more are getting into guns these days, so after time will decrease the pest population and BANG there you go its all f****d UP.

You know the mountains around me old dog, well between two boys last season there was over 50 foxes shot. Between crai resovoir and ystrad, now thats a short distance and a massive amount of foxes. Makes you think how many are left, its hard enough to find a charly with a couple of dogs on them mountains will be even harder next season.

sad but true its the same around this way most of the shooters av never owned a dog and have just got into it as a social thing like the one i bumped into last year on a public foot path with his brand new everything and after slipping two cartridges into the barrels warned me to keep on the path its people like him that i dislike about shooting people.

we had a very large hare population along the mountain above us these have now been decimated by the rifle boys never will they return on one farm on the stubble with the lamp they shot over a hundred rabbits in one night then gave em to a local lad to feed to his hounds .THE GREAT WHITE HUNTERS

Old Dog is a good man and works his dogs to the full. I have been into the dog game for only 4 years so I have very little experience but in my opinion if you own a rifle for rabbits and foxs you just kill for fun I really cant see the skill. All the best Rhys

The "I dont like it so it must be wrong" or the "I dont like it so whoever does it must be arseholes" brigade should get a grip on here. I dont own a lurcher or terrier but i respect peoples choice of sport. Alot of the time[not always] the rifle is used for vermin control which is a far better way of taking care of a 'problem' such as rabbit control than using dogs.

Lets face it lads the hunting game is a dying sport and it will only die quicker with some of the views expressed on here..............................................JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT DO IT DOESN'T MAKE IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Old Dog is a good man and works his dogs to the full. I have been into the dog game for only 4 years so I have very little experience but in my opinion if you own a rifle for rabbits and foxs you just kill for fun I really cant see the skill. All the best Rhys

How come in this post you say that if you own a rifle for rabbits and foxes you just kill for fun. I cant speak for you mate but i have other hobbies for fun and vermin control[for me] comes under work.

Im not having a go at peoples sport but I cant see the sport in shooting rabbits and foxs at night. In my eyes its just pulling a trigga and its dead. Please let me know the skill in it.