Prejudice against hunters because of clothing?

Guest SJM

JPTs topic about general prejudice against hunters got me thinking, have any of you ever experienced much prejudice from people based on you wearing hunting clothes? for example if you stop to go in a shop and buy something on your way out to go hunting/shooting do you get funny looks from people etc? I go round my local tescos wearing hunting clothing and wellies, I dont see the point in getting changed from when Im out walking the dogs to when I go and do my shopping so I just keep the same kit on, you see these women who get all dolled up and put tons of makeup on etc just to go down the shops and buy a loaf and a pint of milk ffs lol I have to admit It doesnt bother me I dont care what people think or say, I find it quite amusing and just smile when people stare or make comments. I have had kids say stuff to their parents, look mummy theres an army girl :D and also had some real disapproving looks you know the kind where you can feel someone burning into your back and you turn around and catch them raising their eyebrows or looking at you like your a terrorist, I just take it all in my stride as sometimes when your out and about dressed like this, you bump into other fellow scruffy country people and they will usually give you a knowing nod or smile, its like a uniform for people who hunt/shoot/fish to recognise each other :bye:

So whats the best/worst things someone has said to you when youve been wearing your hunting garb and has it ever got you into trouble? ie have you ever been asked to leave a shop/pub/etc because of wearing hunting clothing? I broke down once just outide a small town and there was nowhere to go to the toilet as it was right next to a busy main road so I walked up to a posh looking hotel and walked in, the woman behind the desk kind of screeched :icon_eek: the nearest I can compare it to is a parrot thats just had its tail pulled :laugh: a loud kind of squawk :icon_eek: she said you cant come in here with those things on!!!! as if I was wearing shoes made out of dead rabbits instead of just a normal pair of green wellies lol I said oh theyre quite clean ive just come straight from my car, she made me take them off though, and then when I sat them down on the carpet she shook her head and made me put them outside lol by this time we were both getting quite annoyed so I just marched to the toilet in my socks and marched back out again, she just sat their open mouthed in horror like I had come in and done the toilet on the floor or something :laugh:

Another time I was coming home from shooting and taking my gun out the boot when a drunken local chav swaggered by and said to me are you gonna sing me a song doll? he must have thought it was a guitar case but when I pulled it right out he went f**k sake dont shoot! dont shoot! :icon_eek::laugh:

I'd think twice about lettin any chavs know I had guns much less wave it at em........... even if my weapon was most impressive (which it is) ;) lolol fnarrr fnarrr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I live on the north side of a small town and my permission's on the south side. As I don't drive I have to walk through the middle of the pedestrianised high street on my way there and back. I don't get any comments about my attire but I get the usual astonished stares when I return with any rabbits; it's a good job we don't get many. :D My son's baby buggy is one of those extreme off-road ones, made in New Zealand, and I've been able to carry them back in the basket underneath. He wasn't old enough to sit still long enough for a morning's ferreting last season (nearly nine months now) but I'm hoping to utilize the buggy more fully this autumn. :angel:

if im just going ferreting or decoying or somthing like that i just wear jeans and a green jacket but on a shoot day it breeks the lot then i might get a few looks but f**k them it dosent bother me in the slightest they cant have that bigger problem with it or theyd say somthing to me. :D

It happened to me today I went into newsagents to buy the shooting times in my camo jumper I handed the women the magazine and she gave me a dirty look I said do you have a problem she goes no then gave another look paid her the money bitch should of smacked her with it

Guest MickyB

Personnaly ive never had any bother.... but then I couldnt give two ****'s if someone looked at me funny anyway!! They would just get a funnier look back!

Im always in country or hunting type clothing, but there seems to be good numbers of us up this way.... familiarity breeds content so they say :)

the only looks i get is when i have been at work and i have popped in to get some milk,because i work in a kennel after a while my coat starts to stink like a wet dog folk don't stand next to me for long :clapper:

I once went in to the supermarket with my camo trousers tied up with farmers string my button had fell off what looks i got :laugh:

:clapper: those real tree fanatics do make me laugh, i was flickin through the countrymans weekly and found an advert for a real tree ferret box and a all real tree knife, blade and all. if this cathes on the country side will be riddled with ferrets in boxes and knives, absolutly ridiculous,

we call them the hunting chavs at the game fairs, they are to real tree what the neds are to burbbery.......LOL

Me and a pal were walking the dogs like we do every weekend in a local forest park and last sunday week we noticed a helicopter circling overhead whilst we were sat enjoying the sun and chatting to the other dog walkers who we meet every weekend in the spring and summer months. After a while it was time to head back to the motor as we both had other plans for the afternoon. We met two police constables on our way out and greeted them cordially, as we would with any unfortunate soul who has to work on a sunday. The lady constable produced a notebook and declared that they had had a report of suspicious activity. I told her that we had been in or around the general area for a couple of hours and hadn't noticed anything suspicious ourselves. She said "It was actually someone fitting your descriptions that the call was made about". I then told her that she was going to have a busy day as there were loads of people engaged in suspicious activity like us, walking their dogs!!!. She was highly embarrassed and I knew it wasn't her fault, they had to respond to a complaint, and she admitted that they had been sent on a fools errand. But would we just mind giving her our details and we could be on our way? Her colleague informed us that this kind of complaint was now given priority status.

I suggested that while they had a helicopter in the air for more than an hour and at least one mobile support unit attending to dog walkers, there was likely to be some old age pensioner waiting for attention to deal with a real crime in the area. She sheepishly agreed. I told her I wouldn't be happy to give my name and details as I hadn't done anything wrong and we went about our business. What in the hell has happened to this country since the Labour control freaks have had control.........?

It happened to me today I went into newsagents to buy the shooting times in my camo jumper I handed the women the magazine and she gave me a dirty look I said do you have a problem she goes no then gave another look paid her the money bitch should of smacked her with it

You should of popped a cap in her ass gangsta............ :D

You should of popped a cap in her ass gangsta............ :D

:clapper::clapper:

One thing that does amuse me is when folks dress head to toe in realtree to attend a show or gamefair :blink:

:clapper: :clapper: Oh Yes !!! :clapper: :clapper:

When we all got of the tube in London, bus load of us in hunting gear !!! now the looks we had we're something to smirk at !! bunch of mad welshy's been let loose in London !! :blink: