feeding meat

i skinned a rabbit for the freezer the other day and it was tough as old boots so i pulled the fur back over and jointed it for the ferts. i gave them a back leg each and chucked the rest in the freezer . but as soon as iput it in it gets covered in sawdust.

is this ok or is there a way to stop this like hanging it from the roof of the hutch?? usually when a give them pigeons and birds its no so much of a problem as they start on the breast etc.

thanks

Rob

Yes easy remedy, and you should really be doing this anyway with your ferrets, feed whole rabbits to them!! ;)

I saw on another web site that you shouldn't feed rabbits with their skin on :unsure: I thought this strange no explaination given and nobody else asked.

I thought but i am not experienced that you should remove the guts and then feed whole :icon_redface:

Interested to know the views of the more experienced, thanks :drinks:

I just remove the guts and feed them whole they eat some of the fur as well a bit harder if youv'e only got one or two ferrets it will go off quick in this weather

i skinned a rabbit for the freezer the other day and it was tough as old boots so i pulled the fur back over and jointed it for the ferts. i gave them a back leg each and chucked the rest in the freezer . but as soon as iput it in it gets covered in sawdust.

is this ok or is there a way to stop this like hanging it from the roof of the hutch?? usually when a give them pigeons and birds its no so much of a problem as they start on the breast etc.

thanks

Rob

i do the same with mine sawdust dosent bother them as for putting a whole rabbit in at this time of year its a no no as it will get maggots on it unless you have enouigh ferrets to eat a whole bunny in 1 nite if i feed meat i feed at nite as theres not as many flies about and they have it eaten for the morning ;);) as for leaving the jackets on its okay you will be suprised at how clean they will leave the skin :clapper:

quite a range of answers and yes i only have two hobs they are fed mainly on dry and supplimented with ferals,doves pheasants and rabbits etc. but they cant eat much at one sitting and a whole rabbits a lot what the best option for me and others like me ?

When your gutting them portion them up and freeze the bits in seperate poly bags and only thaw out what they will eat the next day

is that with the jackets on?and when i put one portion in they fight so i have to cut up more and give them one each

Aye feed them rabbit with the jackets on look at there scats and you will see there eating the fur and its passing threw them . Give them a piece each if there fighting over it ,its maybe because there young i put a rabbit in 6 ferrets sit shoulder to shoulder eating it with out a squabble

as for sawdust sticking to the bare rabbit, I use a very large dog bowl in the court, rabbit gets skinned and chopped into chunks, and yes, when they dive in and grab a piece it gets covered in woodchip, but watching them, they shake the meat, simular to a dog with a rat, to shake of the woodchip as they eat each piece, however, a few have learnt that if they eat from the bowl, thats not a problem

maybe once a week the will get a whole rabbit, gutted but with jacket on,

My cage has like a raises plastic shelf and I put the rabbits on this and then tie their back legs through the bars of the cage so they can't drag it through the sawdust.

I'm always suprised how much they eat - especially of the baby rabbits: they eat the skull and spine and claws and everything excepy a scrap of fur!

My cage has like a raises plastic shelf and I put the rabbits on this and then tie their back legs through the bars of the cage so they can't drag it through the sawdust.

I'm always suprised how much they eat - especially of the baby rabbits: they eat the skull and spine and claws and everything excepy a scrap of fur!

i was amazed the first time i gave them a pigeon when they ate the head first and beak and claws and everything lol

incredible jaw strength

wont do them any harm eating whole,what would they do in the wild?!the fur and bits of bone will give them a good clear out in there digestive system.i gaave a ferret to a mate at 2 year old and he feeds meat all the time birds rabbits and meat from butchers and its 8 years old now!obviously dosent work now but to me it shows that meat is better than dry food.and he just chucks it in as it is,so dont think sawdust will effect them.

We put the rabbit in skin on with the guts out and normally whole if rabbit was shot

or if ferreted we nik the saddle and the back legs for us and chop from the saddle

forward off leaving the fur on which also includes the liver/heart/lungs etc and we give the ferrets 2 or3 of these

a day but we do keep 10 ferrets housed together in a big ferret court so this it does not get chance to go off

Regards the young ens squabbling over food they always do you could give em a rabbit each and they would

still hiss at each other but you find this does pass as they grow up

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR 2 HOBS MATE