Retiring my sub 12ft/lbs air rifle

whoooah! I thought this forum was for discussion, no? seems to me like a hot headed response without reading and taking in the info correctly...... never said they weren't up to the job, just that I feel that they are better suited to some roles than to others... just my 2 cents worth. everyone is entitled to their opinion are they not?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load of absolute shite. Someone balls' up a shot, has a crisis of conscience, then comes on here starting a thread on about air guns not being up to the job. People have been hunting with 12 ft/lbs airguns for donkeys years with no bother, if you can't hunt proficiently with them, don't hunt with them.

This thread is not doing our sport any favours...

Have a look at WHY people hunt with airguns. It's because you can walk into a shop and buy one, no license. Do the Yanks use airguns? Surely if they're so great then they would too!

The fact is that, once you have an FAC, air guns have their place but it is a limited one. For the most part (though there definitely are exceptions) the smallest gun that gets used is the 22RF.

Simple fact is that yes, a well placed air rifle pellet does do the job. BUT a well placed 22RF bullet does it better, and is less wind affected, and gives considerably more range. In most situations, it is simply a better choice. Law permitting, more people would choose it if they easily could!

How about shooting on pockets of land with footpaths all over like round here.

My mate just bought a 12ft/lbs pre-charged because he had trouble finding use for his rim fire in this area.

The point is it's all about the right tool for the job.

No one with a brain in their head is going to argue that an air gun's a more effective tool for killing things than a fire-arm. We live in a small country and as has been said, paths, roads, houses, whatever make a differance as to what we can use.

A good air gun, used with respect and consideration can be a very effective tool. Let's not forget that guns are only tools.

It's not just 'each to their own', it's about what is doable and what's not.

Cheers.

Modern airguns are designed to do a job, and they do that job perfectly, I use mine to feed my animals, my animals have never gone hungry, Mrs does'nt hunt, but likes to plink, if I need anything bigger I'll get something, but just never needed anything more than the HW100T, HW100T does what I need it to do. ;)

Guest Scuba1
What a load of absolute shite. Someone balls' up a shot, has a crisis of conscience, then comes on here starting a thread on about air guns not being up to the job. People have been hunting with 12 ft/lbs airguns for donkeys years with no bother, if you can't hunt proficiently with them, don't hunt with them.

This thread is not doing our sport any favours...

Have a look at WHY people hunt with airguns. It's because you can walk into a shop and buy one, no license. Do the Yanks use airguns? Surely if they're so great then they would too!

The fact is that, once you have an FAC, air guns have their place but it is a limited one. For the most part (though there definitely are exceptions) the smallest gun that gets used is the 22RF.

Simple fact is that yes, a well placed air rifle pellet does do the job. BUT a well placed 22RF bullet does it better, and is less wind affected, and gives considerably more range. In most situations, it is simply a better choice. Law permitting, more people would choose it if they easily could!

They do indeed but unlike here in the UK they are not limited to 12 ft/lbs so that statement is a non starter. Getting a ticket for a scatter gun is easy enough here, so why are there not a lot more of them about ???

If its well placed, the rabbit/ pigeon squizzer is not going to fill in a complaints form either way. It can't be deader then dead.

I as a rule come back with a mixed bag after a day out and could not do that using a RF as I could not shoot up into trees, so it would be rabbits only in that scenario.

ATB

Michael

everyone is entitled to their opinion are they not?

:yes: :yes:

Most definitely mate. I've no problems with peoples opinions, but I do have problems when people present their own opinions as statements of fact.

My little outburst wasn't really aimed at you in particular, or anybody else for that matter, I was a little tired when I replied TBH, and I'm sick of having a pursuit I love dragged through the gutter. It's bad enough when some little prick generates bad headlines by shooting someone's cat, cue the x ray picture in the national papers with a quote from a 'RSPCA spokesman' calling for air rifles to be banned.

We cant all have FAC rated firearms for one reason or another, but that doesn't mean we should all be excluded from all types of shooting.

Guest Scuba1

Ok for someone with the field craft skills of a JCB that thinks that being in the same galaxy is getting close enough, a air rifle should be the last thing on the shopping list. And for big numbers there are other methods that are lead free. As for the rest of us, I think we just enjoy or sport so don't knock it.

ATB

Michael

Ok for someone with the field craft skills of a JCB that thinks that being in the same galaxy is getting close enough, a air rifle should be the last thing on the shopping list. And for big numbers there are other methods that are lead free. As for the rest of us, I think we just enjoy or sport so don't knock it.

ATB

Michael

Sorry, I don't understand your post, it dosen't make sense... :(

Guest Scuba1

ATB

Michael

What I mean is, that hunting with an air rifle is all about getting close enough to be a: within your ability to place a shot that will kill your quarry in a humane way. b: to be within the guns ability to do the same. If you cant get within that distance, don't bother buying an air rifle.

If you are a professional pest controller and you need to get big numbers then there are other means to get them.

Do you understand it now??

ATB

Michael

Edited by Scuba1

ATB

Michael

What I mean is, that hunting with an air rifle is all about getting close enough to be a: within your ability to place a shot that will kill your quarry in a humane way. b: to be within the guns ability to do the same. If you cant get within that distance, don't bother buying an air rifle.

If you are a professional pest controller and you need to get big numbers then there are other means to get them.

Do you understand it now??

ATB

Michael

oh ok got it... ;) The air rifle was the first "proper" rifle I got, the first was an old BSA meteor, I could get within that distance, especially when walking down leafy paths or appearing from round hedges and gates, it is just that for me stalking 50-60m to get in range of a rabbit and taking 1/2 an hour to do it, the effort vs. gain involved dosen't stack up...

Edited by danebrewer10
Guest Scuba1

For most of us, that is the whole point....... I have used CF guns for ages but not on wabbits and now I just hunt with an air rifle. For me there is no point in removing a wabbits head at 200 yards. I like the challenge of the stalk.

Atb

Michael