.308 rabbit

Guest hyperion

I still cant see the problem, the rabbit is vermin and has been legaly hunted and legaly shot, this is a hunting and shooting forum?????

CBW

Agreed! Freedom of speech and all that.

Anyway that picture is SO tame compared to the rabbit I shot this evening. I'd post a picture but it's on my phone. I've seen some explosions in my time but this one was huge, and I don't know why really. Sure it was a lengthways shot, but they don't normally end up in pieces over a couple of square feet.

This is the thing - shit happens, and it's a hunting forum, where we talk about hunting. Since this stuff happens when you hunt, what's the problem?

Now, if I posted a picture like that on some kids' "who's got the cutest pet bunny" bulletin board, then fair enough...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is surprisingly tame actually... 243 with 55gr ballistic tip at that range... now that's a mess :)

I think this shows a total lack of self control. One wonders what your FAC says your 308 is for.

i dont hold an F.A.C as of yet it was my friend who took the shot as you would know if you read the full post!

does make me wonder if i should ask for this thread to be removed though, if it doesnt say "and other ground game/vermin" under deer and fox next to .308 on my mates ticket (which it very well may do) have we broken the law?

cheers

hyperion

Apologies , Didn't mean to offend. Seems I stirred up a hornets nest. I'm not offended by gory pics. I've seen more than my fair share of blood & guts most of it human.

If I am wrong then I apologise profusely but there is still no mention of the conditions on the FAC in question. My .270 is conditioned for foxes but only when deer stalking. I note that you were out lamping for foxes and if that condition is on the FAC then fair enough.

I own several rifles each for a specific purpose. Anyone could kill a rabbit with a 308 and blow its head off at only 30 yards. We all know what it looks like. To then take it's picture - well .......why ??

That is surprisingly tame actually... 243 with 55gr ballistic tip at that range... now that's a mess :)

I think this shows a total lack of self control. One wonders what your FAC says your 308 is for.

i dont hold an F.A.C as of yet it was my friend who took the shot as you would know if you read the full post!

does make me wonder if i should ask for this thread to be removed though, if it doesnt say "and other ground game/vermin" under deer and fox next to .308 on my mates ticket (which it very well may do) have we broken the law?

cheers

hyperion

Apologies , Didn't mean to offend. Seems I stirred up a hornets nest. I'm not offended by gory pics. I've seen more than my fair share of blood & guts most of it human.

If I am wrong then I apologise profusely but there is still no mention of the conditions on the FAC in question. My .270 is conditioned for foxes but only when deer stalking. I note that you were out lamping for foxes and if that condition is on the FAC then fair enough.

I own several rifles each for a specific purpose. Anyone could kill a rabbit with a 308 and blow its head off at only 30 yards. We all know what it looks like. To then take it's picture - well .......why ??

Did you miss my post where I said that because of ACPO guidelines on the shooting of lesser species that FAC conditions are actually irrelevant in this case? This was publicised by the BASC magazine - they have changed guidance to police to permit the occasional destruction of rabbit and fox with deer rifles, meaning you CAN shoot your .375 H&H magnum at a rabbit if safe to do so, but that you won't be given an FAC with .375 with rabbit as the good reason.

Guest hyperion

cheers

hyperion

no offence taken and none meant chap!

stirring up a hornets nest?, well i see no problem with that so long as it results in reasoned debate rather than a slagging match!

i know nothing about the conditions on my friends F.A.C other than deer, fox ect but i do trust him to be a safe and responsible shot, if i didnt i would not be going shooting with him!

as to why i should take a picture of the rabbit and then post it on here..............

i took the pictures with the write up for thl in mind, to me pictures make the post a lot of the time, how interesting would the shooting times be without pictures to show the results of the story?, and because this is a site run by people who hunt, shoot and fish for people who do the same and because most of the members of the site have seen either real life or pictures of exploded rabbits i felt i could post the pictures without fear of offending any one!

end of the day the mods must have had a look at my original post, found nothing wrong with it and so allowed it to remain!

cheers

hyperion

• 3 weeks later...
I think the lack of control is around posting pictures of the carcass. What did you expect a 308 to do to a rabbit? not like it needs much imagination.

Haven't been here long granted but posts like this hardly portray anything sporting. Not trying to rain on the shooters parade but a little restraint is called for here.

if the antis seen that they'd have a field day

I think the lack of control is around posting pictures of the carcass. What did you expect a 308 to do to a rabbit? not like it needs much imagination.

Haven't been here long granted but posts like this hardly portray anything sporting. Not trying to rain on the shooters parade but a little restraint is called for here.

if the antis seen that they'd have a field day

Why exactly? Because a rabbit got splattered? Nature does things far worse, it's really not a big deal.

And anyway, this is a hunting site, so the antis can f*** off. If you post stuff on their sites, THEN they can moan.

As has been said this is tame for a .308, had a couple just a day or 2 back with Mr L that were far worse, and this was .223 and rabbit a week or so back.......

BUT...so what, .308 (or .223) not my first choice as a rabbit tool but these things happen...

post-10759-1244303561.jpg

As has been said this is tame for a .308, had a couple just a day or 2 back with Mr L that were far worse, and this was .223 and rabbit a week or so back.......

BUT...so what, .308 (or .223) not my first choice as a rabbit tool but these things happen...

mmmmmm, deker it looks like you could still salvage the legs for a nice bbq

firefly, Show some sense and read the threads :chair: Mr L has been very patient and explained how the law has changed. If you do not believe him go onto the BASC site and read about it. You are making a fool of yourself :rtfm:

ft