Smoking out rabbits?

Hi, im 15 & want to start rabbiting, i dont really want to get a ferret so i wondered if there's any other ways to get rabbits to bolt. ive been talking to people who smoked out rats with a chainsaw exhaust, but none have done so with rabbits, would it work? What other ways are there? any advice would be much appreciated

thanks matt.

• Like 1

Hi, im 15 & want to start rabbiting, i dont really want to get a ferret so i wondered if there's any other ways to get rabbits to bolt. ive been talking to people who smoked out rats with a chainsaw exhaust, but none have done so with rabbits, would it work? What other ways are there? any advice would be much appreciated

thanks matt.

this has been asked before, try searching in the snaring/trapping section, as already suggested, and if you dont want ferrets, then probably better asking this question in that forum, rather than ferreting section :hmm: , some will tell you it can be done, others, myself inc think it wont, plus you may find it illegal, as exhaust gass cannot be used to kill moles, the same could be said for rabbits, you cant tell if a non target species is down the burrows

Someone told me it wont work as the rabbit burrows are different in size to a rats. A rats is smaller in width and will fill with smoke quicker, whereas a rabbit set would probably take alot longer as it is bigger in size. It may well be possible but a lot more waiting involved me thinks :hmm:

thanks matt.

or, learn the art of snaring, when you get good you'll get heaps. aslong as thay are there to catch.

thanks matt.

yeah they just die one of my old friends tried it whjen his ferret was ill but he said he dug down for them as they just died. it was a little warren so twas ok but bad idea!

when is it best to bolt foxeswith the smoke and into fox nets and .22 rimmy i guess?

either that^^ or stand there with your running dogs. if were to do it, ( we have a terrier) it's only because ithe den is on a bank and is a very dumb idea to enter a terrier as we usualy dig, if you know any thing about digging to terriers it is that a den going into a bank it'll suck :yes: