badger badger badger

we have a quite a lot of badgers here on the 700hectare I hunt on. especially when the corn is in the milk-ripe, badgers start messing up whole corn fields - they roll against the caulis and break it down. so farmers are glad when a badger is shot.

before eating them you have to have them checked for trichinae, same as before eating boar. badger isn't eaten that regularly as far as I know. Most people make a so called "dachsschinken" out of it, "dachs" is badger, "schinken" is ham or gammon(?).

I heard they taste like german heath sheep...

Very interesting, Thanks very much mate :victory: I've never tried German heath sheep so it doesn't meen much to me :D Keep us updated with your hunting over there, very interesting it sounds :yes:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one would wholeheartedly endorse a cull on badgers .Where i live they now outnumber rabbits [not joking].The majority of farmers are at their wits end but our hands are tied .I recently went to see a farm that had roughly 1 1/2 acres of maize flattened by them .The farmer said it was deer but i found evidence to support otherwise .They are no respectors of electric fencing either and have nosed up a mesh fence on another piece of permission to get at the vegetables on a market garden.Many farmers have movement restrictions on them due to tb reacters which is definately linked to the increase in badgers .Its very noticiable that farmers which are lucky enough to be badger free ,and thats not many ,do not have tb present in the herd . Legal terrier work is getting almost impossible as most earths have a stripey at home so all in all they are a real menace .Wild life suffers too in the form of hedgehogs and ground nesting birds .A balance across the whole spectrum is needed not the protection of one at the expense of others .And as for cats ,well ,dead on sight i'm afraid .

Wild life suffers too in the form of hedgehogs and ground nesting birds .

not only hedgehog and ground nesting birds but also hare, deer, and others where the little animals (excuse my terminology...) rather duck and hide than flee in their early days. a badger is like a vacuum cleaner and whatever he comes across he will eat - be it apples, snails, slugs, a fawn or carrion.

No doubt about it. He's an opportunist. Lambs too. Ground nesting birds and lets face it, many of our ground nesters are getting rare. They haven't got a mouth full of canines for ripping through earthworms.

i'm glad someone else mentioned lambs, not many people know that and not many people believe it! its amazing how many lambs disappear as a result of a badger.

Good on ya lad if you want to shoot them you should work away as it is legal in your country and dont mind that other ass he would be better off on an antie's web site.I personly would rather dig and release them that is if it was still legal in this country witch it is not due to the small minded fools that think badger baiting is fun.

All the best and good hunting...

Good on ya lad if you want to shoot them you should work away as it is legal in your country and dont mind that other ass he would be better off on an antie's web site.I personly would rather dig and release them that is if it was still legal in this country witch it is not due to the small minded fools that think badger baiting is fun.

All the best and good hunting...

alright paddy 31 hows it going out with you last week good bitch use have there i was the stocky good looking chap

• 1 month later...
i suppose the population has to be contolled but i for one think your a tramp mate

This response is failry typical of an irish man and when i hear of Badgers being treated like vermin it does not please me. the Badger in the eyes of people in history had no value for food or otherwise what was discovered and admired was their tough defensive fighting spirit and so a culture developed of breeding dogs to dig them from their setts and also bigger dogs to handle them in the dig and test against them. breeds included the fell terrier, sealyham terrier, border terrier, glen of immal and kerry blue wheaten and irish terriers. there was a code of cinduct and strict rules and regulations with the majority of the Badgers being set free. As this was an historical part of our culture most hunting people do not like to see badgers killed unless they pose a threat. i personally do not see the challenge of shooting a badger with a rilfe from a hide they are a slow creature, with poor eyesight and hearing hardly presenting a challenge like a deer boar or even a fox.

never saw it from that point of view. makes sense, though.

i suppose the population has to be contolled but i for one think your a tramp mate

This response is failry typical of an irish man and when i hear of Badgers being treated like vermin it does not please me. the Badger in the eyes of people in history had no value for food or otherwise what was discovered and admired was their tough defensive fighting spirit and so a culture developed of breeding dogs to dig them from their setts and also bigger dogs to handle them in the dig and test against them. breeds included the fell terrier, sealyham terrier, border terrier, glen of immal and kerry blue wheaten and irish terriers. there was a code of cinduct and strict rules and regulations with the majority of the Badgers being set free. As this was an historical part of our culture most hunting people do not like to see badgers killed unless they pose a threat. i personally do not see the challenge of shooting a badger with a rilfe from a hide they are a slow creature, with poor eyesight and hearing hardly presenting a challenge like a deer boar or even a fox.

so then who decides that a badger is of greater importance than a fox or rabbit or deer? It is NOT an endangered animal and it IS a pain in the jacksie to land owners, cattle farmers, hedgehogs, ground nesting birds etc.....there is a huge difference between baiting and effectively controlling the animals population.

• 2 months later...
I just shot me my first badger! Was sitting in a tree stand since 8pm in a meadow lots of roedeer around me when I felt that there was something moving at the edge of the woods.. looked through my binos and there she was - missus badger.

as it was already getting darker, I turned on the red dot and let her have it. 110meters - 308win.

dachs1hl8.jpg

dachs2jh8.jpg

I skinned it and will bring it to the taxidermist tomorrow...

do you guys hunt badgers?

nice shooting. but id of shot the roe mate. they taste alot better than them. ha ha. :)

If the ban on Badgers is ever lifted then there will be a mass slaughter all over Britain then what?....the so called TB epidemic that was spouted before they were a protected species never materialised and was grossly exagerated. Personally I dont see what the sport in killing these beasts is. Something that can smash a dog to peices has to be dug out then smashed on the head with a shovel...very sporting as for shooting them ...here you can practically walk up to them and put a bullet in their head if you wanted too. Each to their own I spose but imo this isnt about hunting its more about sport....and not a very dignified one at that. The other old chestnut about it decimating the wildlife population is guff as well. Theres been more damage done to wildlife in this country through the use of pesticides and the change to farming practices than any natural predator ever done.....I will now go into the fetal position and await the customary kicking from the terrier lads and shooters :blink:

If the ban on Badgers is ever lifted then there will be a mass slaughter all over Britain then what?....the so called TB epidemic that was spouted before they were a protected species never materialised and was grossly exagerated. Personally I dont see what the sport in killing these beasts is. Something that can smash a dog to peices has to be dug out then smashed on the head with a shovel...very sporting as for shooting them ...here you can practically walk up to them and put a bullet in their head if you wanted too. Each to their own I spose but imo this isnt about hunting its more about sport....and not a very dignified one at that. The other old chestnut about it decimating the wildlife population is guff as well. Theres been more damage done to wildlife in this country through the use of pesticides and the change to farming practices than any natural predator ever done.....I will now go into the fetal position and await the customary kicking from the terrier lads and shooters :blink:

If my memory serves me right the figures are now up to 300 cattle a day slaughtered because of TB.

Badgers eat hedgehogs http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...d37aa678cd2264d

"Badgers are members of the weasel family and have the musky odor characteristic of this family. They are opportunists, preying on ground-nesting birds and their eggs, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and insects."This is copied from http://hubpages.com/hub/Everything-you-wan...w-about-Badgers

:tongue2: