Out yesterday evening with Foxdropper.........

Well,I went over to 'FD's place yesterday evening,and we went out onto a couple of his permissions.We set off in 'FD's truck(BIGFOOT)and we arrived at the first farm at about 0630ish.It was an organic farm that is made up of mostly fairly small fields of grassland,and,cornfields on the neighbouring farms.The wind wasn't actually in our favour,and it was swirling abit,anyway we set off in the evening sun,and,it really was a pleasure to be out,it really is God's country.In the second field we entered there were 3-4 hares,and,to be honest I don't get to see many as they just aren't around on my permissions,so I was very happy to see them(made my night,at that moment).The field was empty bar the hares,but,as we stalked up the side of a hedge a doe burst out of the hedge on the other side,and,made good time across that field into the cornfield.We then entered quite a long thin field,and spied a Buck at the far end,and looked like it had a decent head on him too.'FD' stayed back,and,I stalked up the hedgeline towards the Buck,stopping momentarily just to check where he was.I had stalked quite a way,and,'FD' had caught up with me,when we realised that he had sneaked through the fence into a very small copse that wasn't on his land.We did go over to where he had gone through,and,he was on the other side of the copse and he made a run for it :wallbash: .We went around the remaining fields without seeing another deer,althought there were plenty of hares for me to ogle at(and try unsuccessfully to photograph).

We got back to the truck,and,sped off at full tilt to another piece of permission which is a stables like I have never seen before,it was massive and very modern,and fully teched up.The place has a very good Buck on it,which 'FD' had spied a couple of nights previous,and,he wanted me to grass it.I was full of anticipation as we walked along a lovely cut grass walk way(a bit like the red carpet after the fields on the other farm).'FD' explained where he had seen the large Buck,and we were fairly close.A Barn owl glided from a big old Oak tree,and,started to quarter the fields,just like a white kite with no strings,and totally silent......it was breathtaking.As we stalked along a bit further 'FD' grabbed my arm and said there he is,and dropped to the ground....followed by me backwards :whistling: .We were looking down over a field from a brow at a small Buck that was in the next field again,and,he said take him then..........well,as I had left my bipod at home :icon_redface: I used 'FD's rifle and bipod(Tikka T3),The Buck was about 130+yds away,and,was by far the longest shot I have taken on an actual beast,but,I kept my calm,placed the cross hairs on him,and carefully squeezed the trigger..........Crack!!! and,yes down he went.I felt a congratulatory slap on the back from 'FD' "well done mate",and,I was over the moon!We waited a few minutes,and then went down for the gralloch,I had hit him slightly to far back,and,there was some gut spillage,but,it wasn't too bad,but,there was no exit wound.I found that a bit wierd,but,hey ballistics are a very complicated subject(for me anyway).We took a couple of pics,and,then we went on through the farm down to where 'FD' had first seen this big Buck,and,as we walked along the Barn owl joined us again.We stood and watched him for a minute or so,and,just as we were moving off again a fox popped out of the hedge,saw us and promptly popped back through and off.We then sat on a small bank in some long grass with the hope that a Buck or so would pop out of the woodland on the other side of the field,or maybe even a Muntjac.We never saw another that night,but,we had a Tawny owl fly over us and a Sparrow hawk fly into the wood,and even a Muntie bark,and,I must say it was one of the best evenings I have spent out with the rifle and some of the best company you could imagine,and,I know I have said it before,but,Foxdropper is a real gent......better stop there as he'll all bashful :icon_redface: We took the Buck back to the truck,and made our way home.I had my brother-in-law waiting at home to go lamping that night,so I had to toe it a bit getting home.We did go lamping till about 0130hrs(but that is another post)and then I came back and butchered the Buck.I was determined to find the bullet,and,there in itself is a bit of a conundrum(if that's the right word)it had travelled after hitting the beast in it's right side(admittedly back a bit)but,was found in it's right haunch just under the hide.It had hardly any distortion,and,I guess had deflected off the rib and done a 90 degree turn.I have had a few wierd things happen with the rimfire,but,I guess you half expect it then,but,I didn't expect it from a centre fire.If it had been a FMJ then yes that wouldn't be quite so unexpected,but,hey I got a fridge full of venison so what do I care :boogie::boogie:

Here is the 'Stalker' and his prize...............

IMG_3635.jpg

And,here is the bullet head................

DSC_0002-13.jpg

And the end result of the head,as it turns out it was a 6 pointer as it had a rear tine.............

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0002-14.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter
I had left my bipod at home :icon_redface:

:laugh::clapper: There's a word for people like you, mate! Starts in a C and ends in a scuffle! :laugh: Fancy leaving Mr Harris at home though, on a trip out like that! I wouldn't even set out on such a venture without mine ~ and I don't even have one ..... :wallbash:

No, seriously though, Martin; I'm going to have to give up reading Posts about Drops and his game laden lands. It's starting to give me the pip! One thing I'm starting to recognise about the guy though; He's obviously surrounded by gorgeous stuff, yet always seems to reserve the best for his guests! He'd obviously hoped to give You that 'Big Buck' that he knew was out there and doubtless could have taken himself before :good: (I must admit; Just typing that gave the old scalp a tingle! The guy's got to be a Gentleman!)

So, ye got yeself a nice hat rack and a freezer well stocked? Let's not mince any further words, eh? You Lucky Basta..!!! :toast: