4X4 Recomendations please

Looking for a bit of advice, ive just finished uni (im 22) and before a get stuck into a proper job im taking a year or so out to work over the summer on a farm before i head to new zealand for a few months.

What would you reccomend i get thats not going to cost me a fortune to run and insure. i do a lot of shooting on weekends and need some thing ok 'on-road' and 'good-off road' and will give me reasonable mpg if there is such a 4x4.

My budget is £5000 max, and thought a single cab hilux, l200 or even a defender 90 would suit the bill on third party insureance.

Cheers, Ian

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap 4x4, especially for a 22 year old when diesel and insurance comes into play. Your best bet would be something like a Suzuki or fourtrack but again none are cheap to run......

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a cheap 4x4, especially for a 22 year old when diesel and insurance comes into play. Your best bet would be something like a Suzuki or fourtrack but again none are cheap to run......

Same as that Simonman, "good off road" = expensive to run and insure ie: land rover, shogun, range rover etc.

If you can find a tidy mk1 suzuki, it'll be about as close as you'll get to a "budget" 4x4, but at 22yr old i'm afraid there is no such thing as cheap to run. :thumbdown:

No such thing as cheap to run even at 40yr old come to think of it :laugh:

I know a man who is getting rid of a 200TDI 90 ;) again though, as already said, insurance isn't cheap, even for me :(

Suppose you could always TPFT it & before you go to NZ say it got nicked, but that would be illegal of course.

If you can get hold of one a Suzuki SJ410 are awesome but they are like rocking horse sh1t

I'm not to woried about fuel as its just going to be used to get to work (only 10 miles away), round the fields on weekends and occassionally to take the girlfriend into town ect.

might look at getting a single cab pick-up l200 or hilux for around £3-4000 and put it on third party insurance. Would a single cab pick give you a few more mpg than a double cab?

Thanks the replies

i've a nissan navara now but had a single cab before both with ifor williams tops and very pleased with both but don't know what insurance would be for 22yr old,however my kids are 18 and 20 and have both their cars insured on family policy with NFU for anyone in family to drive fully comp both about £400. you'd probably have to put it in a parents name.

Looking for a bit of advice, ive just finished uni (im 22) and before a get stuck into a proper job im taking a year or so out to work over the summer on a farm before i head to new zealand for a few months.

What would you reccomend i get thats not going to cost me a fortune to run and insure. i do a lot of shooting on weekends and need some thing ok 'on-road' and 'good-off road' and will give me reasonable mpg if there is such a 4x4.

My budget is £5000 max, and thought a single cab hilux, l200 or even a defender 90 would suit the bill on third party insureance.

Cheers, Ian

Depends on how much room you need mate, Jimny's great but small, Landy or Pajero/Shogun/Fourtrack/Hi Lux if you need something bigger, more insurance/less mpg tho'. Cheers, D.

im twentysix and the insurance on my 90 was 190 a year fully comp but the insurance on my patrol is 240 fully comp apparently defenders are quite cheap cause ther made out off alloy and are light hence they dont damage the other veichical involved as much so my insurance company told me anyway

Guest manda

I drive a pajero 2.8td im 21 and a lass my insurance is around £700 a year fully comp as i added an older driver on the policy and thats with AA, but prob cost the same in diesel as my bf's skyline gtst!! Good luck in new zealand its lush but dont expect cheap cars over there :no: my family live over there and they paid $10,000 for a 95 rav-4.

I know a man who is getting rid of a 200TDI 90 ;) again though, as already said, insurance isn't cheap, even for me :(

Suppose you could always TPFT it & before you go to NZ say it got nicked, but that would be illegal of course.

If you can get hold of one a Suzuki SJ410 are awesome but they are like rocking horse sh1t

ive got a sj413 for sale if anyones interested pm me

off roader only ie no tax no mot

lots of work done to it

just got myself a nissan terrano2

good on road vgood offroad

ive had it up some fairly severe stuff thro the winter not just lonnings (green lanes for you posh southerners lol)

• 4 weeks later...

Hawk Eye - what about a Suzuki Jimny. I've had one for six months. I use it to drive to work and it's pretty economical as it's only a 1.3 engine. But every weekend I use it on my permissions for shooting. Have never got stuck and can get full load of hide netting and poles, decoy bag, two shotguns, plenty of cartridges in the back and have room for a passenger too!

alright mate, i had a 3 year old freelander when i was 21, insurance cost me £600 a year, it was a td4, the car cost me £8000 and i had to spend another £4000 on parts that included, 2no transfer boxes, gearbox, clutch, hydraulic thrust bearing, cv joints, airflow sensors, 1 of 3 fuel pumps, i done all the work myself, a local landrover centre quoted 8-12 hours labour just to change the transfer box, after the first one packing up i put another one in and when that one packed up i set myself a target of how fast i could replace it, out in 55mins and back in 1hour 20mins, so it just goes to show that these dealers just wanna rip you off!

anyway i sold that freelander and i bought a landrover 90 2.5td for £400 1989, engine knackered, spent £700 on new engine, shocks, respray, convertion to truck cab, seats , mot, and everything else what was needed, homemade bumper, all welding done myself (i hammered sh*t out of the underneath before it had the respray and welded any pottential problems)

this landrover was the best £1100 i have ever spent, its been back on the road for a year now, with hardly any problems at all, the only thing thats happened is an oil leak ( rear crankshaft oil seal) and the radius arm bushes are starting to get a bit clonky (9these two repairs wont cost £80 to do)

so it just goes to show that for very little money you can have a tidy motor, not too new i know but if i do end up damaging it up on the farm it wont really matter, just renewed my insurance via www.confussed.com and i paid £131 FULLY COMP for the year -landed, tpft was actualy more expensive for some reason? take a look at the pics

post-18339-1209744728_thumb.jpg