Food for thought

My grandfather, who was a gamekeeper in the midlands used to shoot and eat them and there is a chap from Jimmy's neck of the woods who will come and pick up crows if there is enough to make it worthwhile as he uses them in pies.

'Four and twenty black birds, baked in a pie' etc etc as the nursery rhyme goes and the black birds were rooks and crows so why not.

Phil

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, philpot said:

My grandfather, who was a gamekeeper in the midlands used to shoot and eat them and there is a chap from Jimmy's neck of the woods who will come and pick up crows if there is enough to make it worthwhile as he uses them in pies.

'Four and twenty black birds, baked in a pie' etc etc as the nursery rhyme goes and the black birds were rooks and crows so why not.

Phil

Yes, I had an idea of the ryhm being about rooks but crow is new to me. I have to say I'm tempted to give it a go?

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, mattwhite said:

Yes, I had an idea of the ryhm being about rooks but crow is new to me. I have to say I'm tempted to give it a go?

Let us know how they taste . perhaps have a few for Christmas day instead of turkey :laugh:

• Like 1

I`m going to give that a miss as you wouldn`t believe the shit they eat :bad:, feck that!

However, I`ve tasted Coot and Water hen, they were appalling, when I stayed in Wales as a kid.

For me though, the worst tasting wild game meat by a country mile was Hare.

The nicest shot game I always eat, including all my family is 1st Squirrel, 2nd  Rabbit, 3rd  Wood Pigeon with little between them.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, mark williams said:

I`m going to give that a miss as you wouldn`t believe the shit they eat :bad:, feck that!

However, I`ve tasted Coot and Water hen, they were appalling, when I stayed in Wales as a kid.

For me though, the worst tasting wild game meat by a country mile was Hare.

The nicest shot game I always eat, including all my family is 1st Squirrel, 2nd  Rabbit, 3rd  Wood Pigeon with little between them.

I was born and lived my first 40+ years in Sheffield and the hares shot on the high Derbyshire land was strong and for me, awful but down here in Lincolnshire, totally different and good to eat, perhaps something to do with the different types of soil ?? although I don't shoot them any more, just like to see them around.

Phil

• Like 1
Just now, philpot said:

I was born and lived my first 40+ years in Sheffield and the hares shot on the high Derbyshire land was strong and for me, awful but down here in Lincolnshire, totally different and good to eat, perhaps something to do with the different types of soil ?? although I don't shoot them any more, just like to see them around.

Phil

I was on my jollies at my best mates Nine`s ( Welsh Grandmother, spelling ? ), anyways she was called Nine Bodfari as she lived at Bodfari .( we were both just 15 yrs old)

A knock on her cottage door about 8pm on the Sat` night that we landed and for Wed` night the bought Hare was being served.

One taste and the plates were pushed away by us both :no::bad: - fecking horrible !

p.s. 

Same here Phil, I never shoot Hares, I too, like to see them around.

• Like 1
Just now, mattwhite said:

I'm with you on this one pal. I like hare?

I prefer hare over rabbit...

and I can guarantee if I go to drop off a catch and ive got a hare the blokes I know will all take it over bugs!

maybe they do taste different around the county, they taste good round here:thumbs:

• Like 2