Finally?

After almost a fortnight of no hunting due to the wet weather I managed to get out for the last hour today on the old golf club perm. To say it was like a swamp would be an under statement.

I didn't bother with the lamp, just keep it simple and try to spot anything before dark........easier said than done.

All the usual spots where you can guarantee seeing rabbits were completely bare, mainly due to, I think, the excessive amount of rain we've had. So, off I head to the top of the course that's right on the cliffs and is usually blowing like mad and there were more rabbits up there than usual so maybe they have vacated the flooded ground and gone to higher ground.

By the time I had discovered their whereabouts I had wasted a lot of time and spooked a lot of coneys!!!! So I sat 40 yards from a run where 2 or 3 had bolted into on my arrival and waited.

20171210_185711.thumb.jpg.94438dcf4f4ab04c155ea6a97b2b9bec.jpg

This was their preferred end of the course I think due to dryer ground??

After a wait of around 15 minutes, out came the first one. I'd got the cross hairs on him almost straight away but he turned sharp and hopped off round the corner out of sight.......gutted. Another couple of minutes passed and number 2 hopped out so I was on him straight away and no sooner had he stopped to sniff the salty air, I let an AA field go whistling home straight to his napper. In comparison, the whack of lead on bone was much louder than the R10 with the swift stumpy that Jimmy sent me.

I did hang around for a short while but the light had gone so off home with just one in the bag, still very happy to have been out?

20171210_183449.thumb.jpg.71165b85a02cb5dd5e39b65d31fdf41b.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Nice shooting Matt :yes:.

You sure are getting along with that R10 mate :good:

Cheers Mark.

Don't get me wrong, I loved both the 100's I had but there is just something about this supercarbine that seems to feel more comfortable when shouldering.??

16 minutes ago, villaman said:

At least you got out Matt  and at least you got one as well , I know i have said it before  Nice stock on the R10 :thumbs:

Cheers mitch?

I keep giving it a rub with a drop of walnut oil when I'm not using it ??

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The one said:

Nice going mate , there's always a few on the local golf course  but shine a light and there off :laugh:

True mate. It's a waste of time lamping on this one. Even the dimmist red light sends them scarpering!!?

I know i was the last guy with permission  and it expired a good few years ago the dog men have no chance there like sh*t off a shovel  and if lamping it was with the rimmy taking shots over 100 yards . The best result where got from ferreting  but then every old nosey golfer walked in to see what you where doing and if you had permission :laugh: Golf courses are hard work 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rez said:

Shooting mr white. That little mod cover there... that a jack pyke one? Is it from anywhere on the net... want one for me HM.

nice one man. 

I think it was a jack pyke yes pal. It was from ronnie sunshines if I remember. It came as a long sleeve that I cut 2 out of. Bit short for the swift but it offers a bit of protection??

Nice one Matt, at least you got out mate.

Now that perm is spot on, when the shooting is done, down onto the beach and blast a bait out for the cod after picking up some peeler crab from the swilleys (not sure how to spell it but you know where I mean).

I used to travel over and fish there quite a lot a few years ago, love the place.

Phil

5 hours ago, philpot said:

Nice one Matt, at least you got out mate.

Now that perm is spot on, when the shooting is done, down onto the beach and blast a bait out for the cod after picking up some peeler crab from the swilleys (not sure how to spell it but you know where I mean).

I used to travel over and fish there quite a lot a few years ago, love the place.

Phil

Cheers phil?

The fishing is hard going over here for some reason at the moment. I've had a few nice cod not far from where that top pic was taken at porth dafarch but in a while. If your ever over here mate give us a shout?

• Like 1